Why did Surefire change...Calling SIZE 15s (Al)

Do you like the older flat style body or newer round style better?

• Older flat

Votes: 60 60.0%
  • newer round

Votes: 40 40.0%

• Total voters

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
the bodies of the E series and A2 from flat sided to the more 'rounded' configuration? I like the older style better b/c I personally think they look better and provide more 'grip'. Anyone know why this change occurred? I'm sure SF felt it was an inmprovement -but how?

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why did Surefire change...

The same thing happened when Fenix overhauled the L2P into the L2S. As far as I can figure, the change was made to ease machining and lower costs. I don't think those are Surefire's reasons, though - if they change a light, it's because they believe it's an improvement to the light itself.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reason why Fenix did it wasn't because of machining costs it was because their HA isn't Mil-spec, and sharp edges is where it's thinnest and wears the quickest.

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened

mossyoak;

the thicker walls make sense, even though in such a small light, thought they were probably already super strong. anybody have the dimensions of the difference in thickness? I don't own any "newer" A2s or Es so I can't do a measure?

Roccomo

Enlightened

I don't know why they changed it. Maybe they were going for 'less eye appeal'.:sssh: My A2 is the square sided one and I like the way it looks better than the current ones.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

i like the newer bodies but this could be cuz i never felt a sqaure one but the only body i wish they wouldnt have changed would be the L1 i think the looked and performed bettter sqaure. man the L1 with a sqaure body is sexy!

and i wish i could find a place that sells a L1 with the square body:naughty:

Last edited:

Chris201W

Enlightened

benchmade_boy said:
i like the newer bodies but this could be cuz i never felt a sqaure one but the only body i wish they wouldnt have changed would be the L1 i think the looked and performed bettter sqaure. man the L1 with a sqaure body is sexy!

and i wish i could find a place that sells a L1 with the square body:naughty:
benchmade_boy, I agree that the L1 square body looks better, but may I ask why it performs better?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris201W said:
benchmade_boy, I agree that the L1 square body looks better, but may I ask why it performs better?
glad somone agrees with me and i wish surefire would read this.

and i dont think it makes it really perform better as a light but i think that when you clip in a round body in your pocket it seems to stick out more as when a flat sided one will suck in more so it is not so out there and seems to me to be more secure. it is really hard to explain what i am trying to say but i hope you understand.

mudhole

Newly Enlightened

I think it has to do with the HA issue myself,I like flats but I noticed alotof nicks where the knurling was cut off and whereone of the flats were.But I still like flats.better grip,more of a unique high end feeling to it.not many lights have flat
sides.

xdanx

Enlightened

The square sided bodies also provide more grip.

As for me, I prefer the round body for aesthetic purposes.

Last edited:

TwoGuns

Newly Enlightened

I like how the A2 feels now, no complaints here.

Mikeg23

Enlightened

I like the flat sides better, they seem smaller in a pocket and feel better in my hand.

As for them being stronger that maybe true, but I don't see how it matters as I've not heard of any flat sided Surefires breaking.

Scott112

Newly Enlightened

I have a square A2 and a round L2, and I prefer for the old square body. Feels better & looks better IMHO.

I believe the new round style body is actually more difficult to machine. As far as I can tell, the change was made to improve the ergonomics - the round body has more knurling and the knurling seems to line up with your fingers. The round body also has a greater wall thickness and is therefore stronger.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few months ago I measured the two with calipers for comparison and the three round style does have thicker minimum wall thickness. The four flats got thin in the middle of the flats. I liked the 3 round better at first probably since I had it first and the four flats seem to be too thin in the middel, but after using both for a while now, I like them both.

I am traveling now, so I don't have access to them to measure again, but I may try to search for the post when I find a faster connection.