Meerkat Manor

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Any other fans of Meerkat Manor here? I was flicking through channels one day and saw some coming attractions. Eventually I watched a few episodes and have been hooked since late summer. This show is more fun than a barrel of, well, meerkats. :grin2: Seems the adorable little critters are always up to something. The only thing I dislike is when one of them dies but since this is nature that can't be helped.

Anybody have a favorite meerkat? I've tried not to since anyone can be picked off at anytime but I like them all for different reasons. Flower is the consummate leader, Zaphod is her loyal knight in shining armor. Yousarrian is the skeleton in the closet which every family has but hilarious to watch nonetheless (why on Earth do they keep letting him baby sit when it's obvious he's not up to the task?). Mozart is the typical rebellious young adult. Shakespeare (was?) one brave little fellow. Hannibal is just scary. And so on. I've heard the show described as Days of Our Lives meets Wild Kingdom. Certainly true. I've never been a fan of human soap operas, or even watched them at all for that matter, but I'm thoroughly enamored of these meerkats and their antics.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi JTR,

I love this show also. It really sucks you in and they are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Definitely a soap opera.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched an early episode and found it a bit too high in melodrama, as you mention..maybe it has improved in that aspect since then..

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I like that show also. I saw an episode once where one of the mothers brought her young over to a nearby human for babysitting while she went out to look for food. Now THAT'S trust. :)

leduk

Enlightened
If you want animal peril wait for the latest BBC David Attenborough seires "Planet Earth".

They have two versions, the main one is shown on Sunday nights after the 9.00 pm watershed when the youngsters should be asleep. ANother "edited" version is shown earlier for the younger audience.

Its like an animal snuff movie. We've seen polar bears starve, baby penguins freeze to death, chimps eating each other, squirrels being eaten, seals crunched by sharks, and elephants torn apart by lions.

Its traumatic.

Cheers

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the show but don't really like the Australian presenter we have over here for the show. I assume that in the US/UK it is someone familiar to you?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Concept said:
I like the show but don't really like the Australian presenter we have over here for the show. I assume that in the US/UK it is someone familiar to you?
Sean Astin of Lord of the Rings fame is the narrator in the US. Bill Nighy is the UK narrator.

Here is a Wikipedia synopsis of the show with everything you ever wanted to know about the "stars".

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have Mike Golburn from Aussie Big Brother doing it, and well I don't like him.

I could always turn the sound down I guess.

Now Bill Nighy thats interesting. Wasn't he Davie jones in Pirates of the Carribean?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its very good show.i still get em all confussed last time i watched one of em wan ran out of the group by flower.then little guys sure are amazeing to watch.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
its very good show.i still get em all confussed last time i watched one of em wan ran out of the group by flower.then little guys sure are amazeing to watch.

Raggie! You're back in CPF! Yay! I missed you around here. :)