Scratched Lens

battman

Newly Enlightened
frown.gif

I managed to scratch the lens on my week-old UltraStinger. It has a polycarbonate lens...can it be polished away? It's not deep, and I've heard Brasso polishes watch crystals. I'm scared to try it though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Does the scratch impact on the Beam Quality in a way that will either hinder your use, or niggle you?
If not, why worry? The UltraStinger will get scratched and worn soon enough. Some consider this personalization, giving a flashlight character. It shows that you use your tools, and that they get used lots.

On the other hand, why should you have to make do with a flashlight that gets scratched and worn so easily? Surely a tool designed to be used should be able to withstand general use?

I assume you got an UltraStinger because it produces a bright tight beam, and is a little bit smaller then a hulking MagCharger or SL35X. Oh, and it's cheap.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Anyone who gets close enough to see the scratched lens could be either blinded by your UltraStinger or hit with it
grin.gif

Of course, you could contact Streamlight and ask them to replace you scratched lens.

I am interested in how your UltraStinger compares to the MagCharger in terms out beam output and runtime. Have you gone head-to-head with a direct comparison?

I meant that when you buy cheap, you usually pay for it. Using a Polycarb lens is an example. Giving you only one battery is another example. Not using Hard Anodised finishes is another example.

My first impression of the UltraStinger was that it lacked refinement and quality. But it didn't impress me with brutish output or tough features. I visited the Streamlight stand with as open a mind as I could muster. I was hoping that I could go back to PK and demand he made a SureFire like the UltraStinger, but I walked away with a feeling of "Is that all Streamlight had to offer?"

But then I'm known for my love of Streamlights... They are better then many other brands includiong Maglite. The UltraStinger seems to be a popular model, but then people like McDonalds. I'm a BK fan myself and happy to pay for it. People say BK is expensive. I say it's good value, and you get what you pay for.

Al

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
Battman,

Why not go for it? It bothers you, so try and fix it. Worst case, you have to send it in to have the lens replaced. You might check to see if anyplace near you polishes plexiglass,they would be able to do it for you. I would try toothpaste and a soft cloth before brasso, but brasso might work. Do it by hand and don't heat the polycarb lens up to much with the polishing action. You could try it out on some cheap sunglasses to see if you like the results.

It looks to me as if the lens is installed much the same as the polycarb lens on my SureFire 8X; press fit over an "O" ring. A glass(or mineral quartz) replacement of the same size/thickness would probably work (you would probably need a new "O" ring also).

Regards,
Greg

Tombeis

Enlightened
Battman:

You can polish out the scratch if it is not deep. Use a fine grade of automible polish.

If the scratch is heavier, use rubbing compound first followed by a fine polish.

The rubbing compound will leave a dull surface. The polish brings the plastic back to a bright finish.

You can usually treat scratches in plastic the way you would treat light scratches in an automible finish.

The above also works on plastic watch crystals.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might try a motorcycle shop. I have some scratch remover for my windshields that worked pretty well on my cellphone face. TX

battman

Newly Enlightened
Cheap how? Cheaply priced or cheaply built? Hope you don't mean the latter...my new friends here at CPF recommended it!

The scratch is minor, though I can see the resulting shadow in the beam at different flood settings. All my tools have there share of battle scars- i'm not into aesthetics. I just don't want my magcharger-toting buddies to laugh when my plastic lens is scratched & their glass lenses are still perfect.

Who here wants their best light laughed at?
On the nightshift, flashlight competition is a serious sport...
smile.gif

On that line, anyone know of a glass lens available for the ultrastinger?

funk

Enlightened
I just used brasso for the first time on my watch crystal and it worked great. In fact, it was 3 this past Monday - weird.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ive heard toothpaste does wonders, though i haven't tried it yet.

WaltH

Enlightened
There is a product called "safecut" which works very well at removing scratches from plastic. I got mine at an Autozone store.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 'Autosol' to polish LED heads after I grind(sand) them down. Works great for me. It comes in a toothpaste-style tube, 2 sizes seem to be available - similar to the mini and family-sized toothpaste tubes we're all familiar with. Cheap too! This stuff is apparently award-winning material and is typically used to polish automotive chrome surfaces.