Ok...Im addicted...I have proof...lol

cutlerylover

Banned
Well yesterday there was bad thunderstorms in my area of PA...I had a few borwnouts where the lights dimmed and I stopped and realized that I was actually hoping it would go out...lol...thats when I realized I am addicted to flashlights...I had my cheapo Dorcy 4AA lantern I got at walmart last week all ready to go, and my Dorcy Metal gear in the otherhand...(I am waiting for my 1st nice light from the christmas giveaway, very generous, I can't wait!) Anyway that when I realized I was addicted...How many of you wish the power would go out? Im sure everyone right, lol...My little sister was laughing at me because I was so excited about the storm and the possible power outage...but hey I got them might as well get some use out of them right...I thought I would share that will you people since you can relate...:grin2:

D-Dog

Enlightened
lol, when the line passed NJ, I too was hoping the power would go out, sadly, it didn't even blink :( Still, if it did, I had my faithful xpower powerpack 600hd with a 60 watt drop at the ready along with a flashlight or two :) Addicted, ...um...;)

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Whereas I might not always be charing for the power to go out, I am not phased when it does.

I was in the bathroom at work last week when as a joke a co-worker turned the lights out on me. Without skipping a beat I did not say a word and simply put my Flashlight on.

cutlerylover

Banned
lol, I lived in Jersey for 12 years...Good palce to live to get out of severe weather...If you think about it the worst thing that happens in Jersey is maybe a minor flood, and maybe alot of snow, but that about it for natural disasters, not a bad deal huh...lol, I recently moved to PA about an hour from the Jersey border so Im still in the same boat as far as weather only I am higher in elevation so the winters are a bit longer but knock on wood no snow yet...maybe tonight from what I hear...Ooooooooh maybe the power will go out? lol...No, I love the snow myself but my parents commute to jersey (because they kept their jobs when we moved, better money) and I would rather their commute to be safe as possible...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That's funny. I, too, was in the bathroom at work last week when the lights blinked a couple times. Was I concerned about finishing in the dark? Not a bit. Unfortunately the power stayed on.

Geoff

D-Dog

Enlightened
The first sign today that I was addicted came when I woke up and the FIRST thing I did was turn on my computer and go right to the cpf website. The second sign came a little later when I performed mouth to mouth... I mean the "suction test" ;) on a cheap 1 watt led flashlight I have. I learned that the switch it not waterproof lol... Addicted, um... I need not answer. I am currently counting down the days till my Christmas Light arrives :) :)

PS: Great thread

cutlerylover

Banned
Thank you for the thread comment...lol I figured this is an issue that everyone here can relate too and I figured that in the end it would be chock filled with funny stories and personal experience...Besides flashlights I am also addicted to knives, have you ever sharpened a knife that has never been used? lol I have and then I sharpened it again about a week later after it sat, still unused...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
cutlerylover said:
How many of you wish the power would go out? Im sure everyone right, lol...My little sister was laughing at me because I was so excited about the storm and the possible power outage...but hey I got them might as well get some use out of them right...I thought I would share that will you people since you can relate...:grin2:

Earlier this year hundreds-of-thousands of people in the St. Louis Metro area were blacked out for a week or more due to severe T-storms dropping trees across power lines. People sat at home and sweltered in high heat and humidity, or else went to shelters or motels.

Five days ago a big ice storm blew through St. Louis Metro, and now a similar number of people are without power due to overburdened trees dropping across lines. People sit at home and shiver, or else go to shelters or motels.

In both storms I was lucky enough to endure no more than a few minutes of power loss. Be careful what you wish for.

cutlerylover

Banned
Yes I remember those storms and power outages, I was with ym grandfather on a road trip across America at the time and we had to sleep in the car that night because all the hotels and motels were booked solid for 100 miles! I believe we were by sait louis at the time...I ahd my knives with me for the trip but at the time I wasnot a flashlight guy that I have become from reading this forum, lol so I lacked a good flashlight...

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
I also have one of those xpower powerpacks. During the northeast power outage I was at least able to check on the TV once in a while to find out what was going on. Seems the radio offered very little information. Didn't have much in the way of flashlights back then but judicious use of the powerpack worked well.

Just picked up one of the River Rock 4aa lanterns yesterday. I have the feeling not many people looking at it would guess the amount of light it puts out. Well worth the $20.

faucon

Enlightened
ringzero said:
Earlier this year hundreds-of-thousands of people in the St. Louis Metro area were blacked out for a week or more due to severe T-storms dropping trees across power lines. People sat at home and sweltered in high heat and humidity, or else went to shelters or motels.

Five days ago a big ice storm blew through St. Louis Metro, and now a similar number of people are without power due to overburdened trees dropping across lines. People sit at home and shiver, or else go to shelters or motels.

In both storms I was lucky enough to endure no more than a few minutes of power loss. Be careful what you wish for.
I'll second that. We lost power last summer for 8 sweltering days. We lost partial power again last Thursday when one 'leg' of our electrical connection was disabled. Luckily our heat, the most important thing, is still working. But thousands are still without power in the St Louis metro area in very cold conditions. No power for a few minutes or hours is a lark. No power for days when the weather can kill you isn't.

Latest posts