Orb RAW

Distorted Vision

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please tell me if its possible to have the key ring attached to the Orb RAW whilst it is in its plastic case.

Thanks!

Distorted Vision

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Are there any other torches similar to the Orb RAW that you would recommend I look at. I'm looking at something a similar size and as powerful or more with a rechargeable battery. Importantly it needs to come with a keyring attachment.

Is the Orb RAW prone to scratching?

Thanks.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Orb Raw is a bit prone to scratching because it's just bare aluminium but the Raw NS is nickel/silver and quite hard. Because the Raw is bare aluminium you can always polish out the scratches every now and again. The NS has much more 'Wow' factor. More like jewellery than a torch. If you want something practical with long runtime one of the Fenix P1 lights are quite good but a bit bigger. The Jil lights are also worth a look at, especially the Jil Intelli. I have all of these but the Orb Raw NS easily gets the most appreciative comments.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have 1 old style bare aluminum, 1 new style bare aluminum and one NS RAW. While I do like the newer lug tail design of the standard RAW I have to say my NS is probably my favorite of them all. believe it or not I like the extra weight of the NS....It just "feels" more tough and the cold grey color is very nice in my opinion.

Never had a JIL however I do plan to get the Direct Drive version in the near future. You may also want to check out fifthunit.com. They have a much cheaper version of the CR2 light that looks like the JIL. The quality is not as nice I am sure but for a play toy it will surely do.

With the soon to arrive Fenix P1 Cree this will also most likely be a great performer in the same general size. You may also want to look at the Fire-Fly as I also very much enjoy the one I have. The only change I did to mine was to add a reflector however from the factory these are very nice lights. I think the Sandwich Shoppe dealer on here still has the kit to assemble your own.

Good luck

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Just now saw that you like to use a rechargeable battery and I am thinking the fifthunit version only takes primary cells. I believe the Direct Drive version of the JIL can handle a rechargeable cell if you get one with a J voltage emitter. My Fire-Fly has 2 sandwiches one with a J bin and the other a K bin and so far both have never failed me using rechargeables. If I remember correct some types of rechargeables do not do so well in the Fire-fly because there is a danger of the positive contact shorting out on the c-clip that holds the light engine in place.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could try that JiL clone from lighthoundit uses a RCR2 it's small and keychain friendly, priced right at $35

Distorted Vision

Newly Enlightened
I meant attaching the keyring to the Orb Raw itself not the case.
I'm assuming this would be possible if I made a hole in the case?

Basically I can't decide between the aluminium Orb RAW or the RAW NS! I too like the idea of the extra weight - makes it feel more solid but I'm not sure about the colour of it. Also since the RAW NS is smaller is it less bright?

Thanks!

Jay R said:
Not as it comes but you could always make a hole in the case. Not sure how strong it would be...

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an NS off the BST more out of curiosity than anything. I figured I'd chcek it out and sell it after I got bored with it. It's now one of my favorite lights :)

Keychain mounting cleanly can be a challenge since the hole is so small. One split ring doesn't have much play and I think would damage the case alot. I used two small split rings from BP so the light could move more freely and it's worked out very well.

Distorted Vision

Newly Enlightened
Okay not quite sure what you mean about two split rings though.

Can anyone also tell me the difference between the K2 Luxeon LED and the the standard TWAJ LED?

Thanks!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Distorted Vision said:
I meant attaching the keyring to the Orb Raw itself not the case.
I'm assuming this would be possible if I made a hole in the case?

Basically I can't decide between the aluminium Orb RAW or the RAW NS! I too like the idea of the extra weight - makes it feel more solid but I'm not sure about the colour of it. Also since the RAW NS is smaller is it less bright?

Thanks!

Ahhh, got you. Yes, you could cut a section out of the top of the plastic case and feed the chain through it but it would be a real pain to use. You would have to unscrew the case, put the front half in your pocket, slide the Raw out of the other half of the case and twist it on with the back half of the plastic case dangling between the Raw and your keys.

Go for the NS. It's really nice. The colour starts off very shiny silver but over a few weeks fades to a sort of dull gold. A quick wipe with a silver polishing cloth brings it up silver again.
There isn't much difference in the brightness between them. You know that you can get K2 and Cree versions now....

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Distorted Vision said:
Okay not quite sure what you mean about two split rings though.

Can anyone also tell me the difference between the K2 Luxeon LED and the the standard TWAJ LED?

Thanks!

Because it's tight, one split ring doesn't have much movement on it so if you attach one ring between your keys/Raw it tends to stick out at a particular angle. If you attach two split rings in a row ( think the olympic flag.. ) so you have Raw, ring, ring, keys it 'dangles' better.

I found the K2 brighter than the 'T' bin in my Orbs but about the same as a 3 watt 'U' bin emitter. I like it because I don't worry about the heat build up as the K2 is better at withstanding higher tempretures. Run time seems about the same.

Distorted Vision

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to get the Orb RAW NS with the K2 LED. I also decided just to get a Maglite Solitaire for my keybunch and say the NS from getting scratched. Solitaires so cheap on eBay that I don't care if it gets wrecked.

Unsual little hobby you've all got yourselves collecting torches. Think I might be joining you!

Thanks for all the help!

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a short clip of the new BT Lanyard for the Raw Series:

:thanks: