Crappy, Crappy People! %&#@&!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess the old saying is really true- there really is "one" in every crowd.

Sometime during the Seattle 9-11 memorial services I attended, somebody managed to sneak off with my wallet.
frown.gif

The only time I was facing away from the small satchel on the fender between my legs was when I was pinning a ribbon onto a memorial. It had to have happened then.

There wasn't much money in it, but now with no ID and no ATM card, I can't touch any of the funds in my bank account. Apparently, the bank I use did away with signature cards years ago. So I'm not even sure how I'm going to get replacement ID when I can't get to my own money to pay for it.
mad.gif

What a shitty thing to happen, especially given the day it happened on.
cussing.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Your birthday money wasn't in there right
frown.gif

Have you called the bank yet? These things happen (Unfortunatly) more than one would think so the bank probably has some sort of procedure...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, that sucks. Do you have your social security card and a water, electric bill? Can you get to a drivers lisence place?

Ken

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost all faith in humanity 365 days ago. This is just another kick in the pants.

I am sorry to hear this happened to you. It never ceases to disturb me, how nasty some people can be.

If there was anything I could do to help, I would- but being so far away there probably isn`t. Here`s hoping it`ll be sorted out in the minimum of time with the minimum of fuss, and the scumbag that thought he would make your property his, gets caught and dealt with appropriately, in a similarly short space of time.

mad.gif
frown.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
In attempt to not offend any of our more sensitive readers, all I can say is:

"I hope the f)(#!^& 8@$7@rd that took it dies screaming."

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by KenB:
Boy, that sucks. Do you have your social security card and a water, electric bill? Can you get to a drivers lisence place?

Ken
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Social security card was *in* the wallet, becuase I had to use it recently.
frown.gif

But I did manage to sweet-talk my bank into letting me withdrawl some of my cash using an old, long-ago expired ID, and had my ATM card cancelled while I was there. Ought to be enough to hold me over until my replacement ATM card comes.

I can easily come up with rent, phone, internet, and wheelchair bills to use as "ID" but I don't know how much more the DMV will require. Having that expired state ID will probably help greatly, so it's a good thing I hung onto it. All of that together just might be enough to do the job.

I'll have to cancel my Sears card first thing in the morning - it's never been used and still has its original $900 credit limit on it. ouch!
blush.gif
If I understand how most credit devices work, if you cancel the stolen or lost card within 24 hours you can only be liable for the first $50.

I don't think anyone will abuse my NIA membership card - they probably won't even know what the heck it is
tongue.gif
but I'll email them tonight for a replacement.

As for what money was in the wallet, I hope whoever took it buys a big fat rock of tainted crack with it and dies horribly while smoking it.
mad.gif
cussing.gif
mad.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Saaby:
Your birthday money wasn't in there right
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Some of it was, unfortunately. But I spent most of it yesterday on a new ghettoblaster.
smile.gif

I think there was $30 or $40 in the wallet when it was lifted, along with various types of store cards and business cards. I seem to lose a wallet about once every ten years, so I don't carry around family photos in them.

Originally posted by Saaby:
Have you called the bank yet? These things happen (Unfortunatly) more than one would think so the bank probably has some sort of procedure...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just got back from the bank, actually. My "home branch" is only four blocks away, so I took off right after posting this topic. Had my ATM card cancelled, and managed to talk them into letting me withdrawl some out of my account to hold me over until a new ATM card & PIN gets mailed. They were pretty upset that it happened at the memorial service, and that may have had a part in them letting me withdrawl from my account with nothing more than expired ID and my signature on the withdrawl form.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well lets look on the bright side--your new ID will have your new hair style on it
wink.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
....If I understand how most credit devices work, if you cancel the stolen or lost card within 24 hours you can only be liable for the first $50.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
....If I understand how most credit devices work, if you cancel the stolen or lost card within 24 hours you can only be liable for the first $50.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Craig,

Your liability if you report the theft to the CC Co. before it is used is $0. Even if it has already been used your liability is limited to $50.00 (per card) whether it's less than or more than 24 hours.

Perhaps Orthodox Muslim law (Sharia) should be applied to the thief if they ever catch him.

Brightnorm

CCW

Newly Enlightened
Most of CC companies and banks will protect you if you did your part, based on my own (several) cases. $50 applies when you are grossly negligent, I was told.

Sorry to hear this, and good luck (from now on)!!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure if you can easily do this but i keep my wallet in a front pocket.
much harder to get unnoticed and likely to get a would be pickpocket a broken arm for their effort.
you can only hope the rock monster that took it gets some tainted crap.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by snakebite:
not sure if you can easily do this but i keep my wallet in a front pocket.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In my wheelchair, nothing fits in or stays in my front pockets - assuming the pants or shorts I'm wearing that day even have them.
frown.gif

I've been keeping a small satchel on the wheelwell at the front of my chair right between my legs, so it's almost never out of my sight. The only time it was out of my direct sight today was when I craned my body all the way over to the side to pin a ribbon onto a memorial - that's probably when the deed was done.
mad.gif
icon15.gif
:pissed:

Tombeis

Enlightened
Craig:

You should not incure any charges for your stolen Sears card.

My son had a credit card stolen and used fraudulently to make purchases. The credit card company waived the $ 50.00 fee when they were informed of the circumstances.

leddite

Enlightened
craig: investigate wearing your wallet, or at least a pouch, with the important things, around your neck, under your shirt. people are skum, you can't trust them.

they even make small passport wallets for this exact purpose. i think you'll notice if someone is groping down your shirt.

as an added benefit, you'll probably find that it's easier to get at those important things. heck, put a flashlight there.

or you could get a "waist" bag or pouch, so you don't need to rely on your pockets. attach a chain/rope to the wallet and the bag, so you can't drop it, or have it pulled from you easily.

postscript: sorry this happened to you, some people truly suck. hopefully, karma will prevail, and they'll come back as a snail or bug that you crush repeatedly until the full horror of what they have done is paid off :>

BrightShadow

Newly Enlightened
I am sorry about what happened. People just don't have the right minds now a-days. But out of everything, I do hope that the person is punished for the deed that was done. I am truly sorry, for the person responsible.

Rosetta out.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by BrightShadow:
I am sorry about what happened. People just don't have the right minds now a-days. But out of everything, I do hope that the person is punished for the deed that was done. I am truly sorry, for the person responsible.

Rosetta out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There have been thieves for thousands of years-who will steal anything from anybody.
blush.gif

-Not worth very much, but sorry about your loss, Craig.
frown.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in a state prison in northwest Florida, so for 8 hours a day I'm surrounded by no less than 1200 "dregs of society". We do have our "proverbial" 10%...those inmates who know and admit that they screwed up, and just want to do their time and go home. But the other 90% are a pathetic lot that are a direct reflection of what's on our streets. I'm talking about the ones who blame all of their woes and crimes on everybody but themselves. They have no more concern for their victims than they would a bug on the sidewalk waiting to be stepped on. They have no remorse for their criminal acts, be they petty or violent. A public gathering like a 9/11 memorial service is the perfect stomping ground for them, because they can move about in total anonymity and try to prey on those of us who bust our butts day in and day out to eek out an honest living. As far as I'm concerned, the person who took your wallet in the midst of the 9/11 memorial service is no better than the scum that perpetrated the 9/11 atrocities.
I've been a Correctional Officer for almost 8 years, and each inmate that I deal with, I try to treat as an individual. I afford them as much respect and dignity as they're willing to afford me. But the common mind-set among the overwhelming majority of the inmates is, "it's my job to get over on society, and it's society's job to catch me if they can...and if they do catch me, it's STILL not my fault!!!" I'm truly sorry for your misfortune, Craig. But try to remember this...eventually the law of odds will catch up to the creep who took your wallet, and he (or she...) will be sitting inside the chain-link and razor-wire...it's just a matter of time.

PJD

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
You have my sympathy too. I recently had someone use my name, address and bank details to obtain goods. Luckily I was able to prove the deception, and wasn't charged. But I've no idea how the schmuck got my detials. Probably somone intercepting mail at a post office.

I even had a money taken out of a letter sent by recorded delivery, which needs to be signed for! Somone signed for it, took the money out, resealed it and stuck it in the regular mail. How do they get away with it!!!

But I too take comfort in the belief that someday, somehow they'll get the crap kicked out them for annoying someone bigger and badder than themselves...
wink.gif