SF A2 LED UPGRADE

6ARS

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody
I have a SF U2 that I use for working on cars etc. I like it: it makes my life easier.
I just bought a SF A2, because I like the concept (smaller, incand beam, broad LED beam). It arrived today, and it is what I am expected. I am sure it will serve me well. One thing that annoys me however is that aggressive blueish tint of the LEDs.
I have a thread that one can exchange those for better ones.
My questions are:
- Is this an easy DIY? I soldering required and dissasembling to a point that voids the warranty?
- Where can I buy it? Is there an option to add regulation?
- Is there a place that would do it for me?
I would appreciate your help and comments!
Thanks, Bruno

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically, modifying your SF in any way will probably void the warranty (even using Li-ions), but SF seems to take care of its customers none the less. There is no mod I know of that adds regulation to the LEDs. I think the general opinion is that the output of the LEDs tapers off so gradually anyways that it really isn't needed, and besides it would decrease runtime. If you want to swap the LEDs and you have some soldering skills, here is one thread to guide you: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92993&highlight=a2 I have not personally tried it, so others will have to chime in. If you want to pay someone to do the mod for you, send CPFer Milkyspit a PM. :)

Erleuchtet

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the kind and informative replies. (For some reasons I am not able to use my "6ARS" login so I jsut created a new account.)
I tried to upgrade the LED ring myself (bought some SMJLED) - that was a mistake as I broke that fragile anode ring that is soldered to the LED ring (I know it is a bit embarrassing...).
SF does not sell the ring alone. Would you still send it to SF to have it fixed? Or is this ring a genereic part available from other sources as well?
By the way since I discovered this forum, I bought four new flashlights and a laser - light-in-the-can is really fun, and addictive.
Thanks and kind regards, Bruno

carrot

Flashaholic
The only way to get a new LED ring is to fess up to Surefire that you messed it up and send it in. Hope warranty replacement covers it but it may not.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Breaking internal components from user modding error is exactly why companies don't accept modded items for replacement. But you could call surefire. Hell you could probably get a different light all leds have slightly different tint.

BTW email admin plz don't go on making lots of accounts.

Erleuchtet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Ok, I'll send it in. It is understandable that this won't be covered by warranty. But then I'll probably end up with a stock light again... and it looks as if that angry blueish tint is common on A2s. Regarding the account I emailed admin but got no repsonse?
Many thanks again, and have a nice day, Bruno

greenLED

Flashaholic
Erleuchtet said:
and it looks as if that angry blueish tint is common on A2s. Regarding the account I emailed admin but got no repsonse?
Many thanks again, and have a nice day, Bruno

As far as the LED's go, sand them with the finest grade sandpaper you can find - that should at least smooth the beam. If you still want to risk modding it yourself, AuroraLite's dummy guide to A2 LED modding might give you additional tips. Alternatively, Milkyspit may be able to help you; I've seen some of his A2 LED mods and they're nice (click here for beamshots).

Re. your account issues, post in the Questions/Problems/Suggestions forum, or PM Sasha or Empath directly.