"Freedom" Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthem

Newly Enlightened
So I was watching NBC (I think) on and off last night and while I was turned away talking to my girlfriend, she interrupts we with "WTF! Did you see that??!" so I'm like "...what?";

I'm second-hand quoting from her here, so this may be a little inaccurate, but apparently it was a commercial with a college-like guy asking for some books, the librarian tells him 'Sorry, those aren't available anymore' and he's like, 'but I need them?' - anyway, as he's leaving a couple of federal agent types grab him and haul him off. The text at the end said something like; Now imagine this was in America - Defend your freedoms.

If I had been watching, my nose would have been pressed to the screen to see who paid for that ad. I've never seen it and it might only have been a one-shot deal to reach a lot of people watching 9-11 anniversary coverage. Did anyone else see it or know who made it? It sounds awesome - I'm guessing ACLU, but I'd like to know for sure.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw another one where a group of people were worshipping. just a normal scene out of any church. Then they finish and the minister tells everyone something like thanks for coming and everyone PLEASE be careful going home, then you they cut to a shot of them all exiting a basement from a home. then that same message about "imagine if". Made me smile, but didn't catch who sponsored it.

Evan

Enlightened
I heard something about these adds on NPR. They were commissioned before 9/11, but after congress passed the "USA Patriot" act, they are a lot more scarry as they are close to the truth. Librarians are now _required_ to provide a list of your reading materials to the Feds on request.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to click on the links (at the site) but my screen just blinks.

Does anyone understand the point they are trying to make?

Is it that we should not like giving up some of our freedoms to ensure the safety of our families?

Is it that if we don`t give up a few freedoms the terrorists could take over our country and not let us check books out unless they are "middle east languages for dummies"?

Ken

Anthem

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jonathan. I just finished looking at them all and they're all pretty darn good. I only use Windows Media Player and QT, so the ones at adcouncil.org wouldn't stream for me, so here's another link that'll run in WMP if anyone's interested;

Campaign for Freedom

Anthem

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by KenB:
Is it that we should not like giving up some of our freedoms to ensure the safety of our families?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep, that's the one. I think the point would be to always remember what makes America so strong, and not to sell your freedoms in return for a sense of security.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
And a rather false sense at that. Don't give up liberty for a false sense of security. I am thinking within my lifetime we will see a war for our freedom, I just hope it is while I am young enough to fight, or old enough to LOOK innocent! Out country is spiraling down the crapper freedom-wise, I just hope somebody decides to flush all at once so it is noticable and there is a fight to keep what we deserve!

Well, all that is another topic, and I don't want you all to think I am a weirdo or something, but email me or something if you think the way I do and want info on how you'd better be able to fight back IF it ever comes to that.*

Spud

*note that I am not condoning doing illegal stuff.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tater Rocket:
[QB] Don't give up liberty for a false sense of security.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are right! But the reverse is just as true. Don`t give up security for a false sense of liberty.

The terrorist organizations would love for us to to complian about restrictions of liberties...they want to be free to move around, read how to make bombs and learn the proper way to pump poison down our wells and into our water supply.

Their counting on us to keep America as free as possible...makes their job soo much easier.

Ben Laden might have paid those companies to run those adds.

Ken

Anthem

Newly Enlightened
Understood, but the operation may be successful and the patient will be dead. To make sure not to destroy what America is while you're in the process of defending her is a serious responsibility. Do you stop limiting your freedoms when the USA is at Canada-level, Sweden-level, Cuba-level, China-level, or Taliban-level?

Or do you remain the worlds single greatest example of freedom and democracy?

edit: That probably sounded confrontational. Sorry I don't mean to start a fight before my fifteenth post here, It's just that I'm a little north of the US and I can see the difference your freedom makes. I'd hate to see it disappear.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I ALSO want to be free to move around, read how to make bombs and poison our wells. I don't CARE if it is restricted material ever, I want to be free to learn ANYTHING I want. Besides, just getting rid of the info won't help, it just means there'll be less reading material for us, but the basics will all be the same and will ALWAYS be around as long as there is chemistry.

Spud

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don`t really know if we should get into a long debate. Some might say we should only give up our freedoms when New York, Atlanta, Tampa are a baren desert and the last American takes his last breath.

I prefer to trust in the government we elected during these troubled times...if they feel we must give up a few liberties till (if ever) this blows over...perhaps we should stand behind them.

Ken

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tater Rocket...there will be a knock on your door soon...please go with the gentalmen in black quietly.
smile.gif

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Hehe, they won't likely do that until I do something illegal. (Edit: I should note here that I don't plan on doing anything illegal! Lol, forgot to mention that, although it is often hard to NOT do something illegal, such as speeding, so if I DO do something illegal, it will be one of those sort of things. BTW,WOW, momentarily WAS for a VERY brief moment! If anything, the Gov would likely be recruiting me.) Being a chemical engineer, I have a REASON to be reading about making explosives, poisons, fuels, cleaners, and anti-bacterials. I've always been interested in chemistry, so it has never seemed out of the norm to my chem teacher that I want to read about how to make all sorts of stuff and do all sorts of stuff with chemistry and chemicals...because it ISN"T out of the ordinary.

Spud

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenB,
What area are you in? I live in Pinellas Park just over the bridge. Any good shops you know of in hills./Pinellas to get lights?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in Town & country...when I`m on my wifes good side. Nope, I am not aware of any really good stores to by lights at. But David (our forum owner) has some HID lights for sale. Only thing is there a little pricy...$18000...of course that includes a motor, seats, trunk. Yea...you guessed it...the lights come attached to a new car thats thrown into the deal. He`s selling cars over here in Tampa. I hope he has great luck...not sure his "buy two HID lights and receive a free car" sales pitch will work when dealing with the average customer. But...it got my attention.

Ken
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well... being a collector, I guess it would depend on if it was apair of lights that I didn't have in the collection, uh, maybe the car could be used as part of a mod?

Evan

Enlightened
I prefer to trust in the government we elected during these troubled times...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's just the problem, this president was not elected by the people, he was appointed by the court after the election in his brother's state was botched by his Republican cronnies. I don't trust him, and don't understand why someone who believes so little in the constitution wanted to be president. I keep wondering who's doing the most dammage, John Ashcroft (rejected by the voters in his home state, then appointed by Bush) or Osama bin Laden (most likely dead, but terrorists dont bother with death certificates.)

This "war" is just an excuse to spend the government into poverty so it can't do anything for anybody (notice the tax cut fot the rich is locked in. Boys and girls, this war is coming entirely out of your Social Security and Medicare). The "Homeland Defense" reorg is just an excuse to dismantle the civil service, why else would Herr Bush be so adamant about such a minor point?

This president was a political looser until September 11; he had just ramed thru a 1.3 trillion tax cut and we were all starting to realize that it was justified by funny accounting, and we were now looking at deficit spending from here on out. But hey, we don't have to deal with that; there's a war on and you dare not question the president durring war time. When it turns out many of Mr. Bush's biggest contributers were unbelievably crooked CEOs - don't question the president, there's a war on.

Talk about "Wag the Dog".

Am I the only one to notice that the Anthrax letters only went to two Democratic Senators, and it would only take removal of two Senate Democrats to give Herr Bush control of all houses and all branches of government?

Far from looking to Mr. Bush to protect the American way of life, I think he is the biggest threat to it.

Evan

Enlightened
I have a prediction: We'll attack Iraq in the last year of his first term. He doesn't think he really has to consult congress to start it, so he'll time it for shortly before the 2004 elections (his father's war happened to far before the election to help). Then the argument will be don't change presidents in the middle of a war. And of course this war never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.