Disappearing Administrator User Account on XP

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
There used to be one main administrator account on my desktop, named "Administrator." The other day I wanted to create a limited user, but in order to do that I first was required to set up an administrator account - apparently it wanted at least one, in addition to the default account. Well I made that account and named it "Main." I then made the limited user account. Now there are only two user accounts on the startup screen: "Main" and the limited account. I would like to be able to access the original "Administrator" account from the startup screen.

I realize that you can change the settings and use the dialog login box, and if I manually type in "Administrator" I can get back into that account, but I'd rather not have to type in user names - I prefer the screen with the buttons for the accounts. Is there anyway to get this to work?

K A

Enlightened
I know there is a setting somewhere you can change to do that. I don't know which one it is offhand. But you can get MS's TweakUI for XP that has an option to put the administrator option back onto the login screen. Along with a bunch of other tweaks one can do to XP. There are several useful toys on their PowerToys page.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you can hit CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the welcome screen and it should bring up the logon screen.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct. As long as nobody else is logged on.

You can also get to the Administrator account by booting in safe mode.

I don't know why it required you to add another Admin account. I thought you could do it from the Administrator account.

And why do they call it the "welcome" screen? The word "welcome" doesn't appear there. I only see the "welcome" after I click on the name of an account that isn't already logged on.

Last edited:

Latest posts