Recommend a free/open source CAD package?

Helius

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

not sure which forum to post this message so I guess the GFD will do. I want to use a simple 3d design package and wondered if there are any free/open source offerings that were any good. I have had a go with the software from emachineshop which seems very nice, but it does not seem to be able to handle more than one shape. I suppose thats because it is for designing bits to machine instead of a full design of assembled parts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mad1

Enlightened
I'm not sure that there is any free CAD programs out there.

You could try Autocad on a trial basis.

cbdudley

Enlightened
I use IntelliCAD, which is not free but very reasonably priced (standard edition is $72). It is completely compatible with AutoCAD file formats (both old and new). Great product! Here is the web site:

http://www.intellicadms.com/

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second question is what OS are you running? I don't recall one for Windows and have not seen one at all for Linux.

teststrips

Enlightened
A site that I find VERY helpful in finding Open Source programs is www.osalt.com (short for open source alternative)

Searching for Autocad - they offer two suggestions - only one runs on windows though.
Qcad Community Edition 2.0.5.0 - runs on linux/unix
BRL-CAD 7.8 runs on windows mac linux/unix

Check out the site www.osalt.com

Lightmania

Enlightened
teststrips, thanks for that link! I've always like those open source programs.

Lightmania

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I used to sell AutoCAD. Good software, but a bit too expensive for the home user. Even the Lite version isn't affordable for most folks.

A program I really like is Sketchup. It's not meant to be a full-blown CAD program, but a program for making 3D sketches. The first time I tried this program I was absolutely blown away by the ease of use. The functionality is limited, but you can export to AutoCAD for further use. I know my way around AutoCAD pretty well (heck, I used to teach others) but when designing something, I very often setup the basic model in Sketchup and do detailing in autocad. Just because Sketchup is so freakin easy to use and so incredibly fast to work with.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
You can get SolidWorks free for a month, at which point it gets veery pricy! I am lucky that my employer bought it for me and SW expressly states it's OK to also load it on the home box.

Larry