• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CREE XR-E Series Power LED Suitable for Modding?

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
If this is not the proper place to post, I apologize. Just move it to the correct forum.

Anyway, I have an unused Cree LED, Bin # XR7090WT-U1-WG-P3-0-0001.

Would this be a suitable replacement for the original LED in any of these flashlights that I own: Fenix E1, E0, L2P, L0-Ti; Inova T2, X0, T3; SureFire G2, M2?

If so, would anyone on the CPF be willing to make this mod for me for an appropriate fee? Alternately, is it something that I (no EE, for sure) could do myself?

Thanks for any constructive input.

Frank

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I don't see why the cree would not be able to fit in those lights. I don't know how to do it, but you'll probably get plenty of response's on how to do it pretty soon. There will no doubt be some soldering involved, but it's not that difficult to do really...just takes a delicate touch. As far as thread placement, this one probably belongs in a different area..and i'm sure it will get moved shortly..but no biggie! GL man.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I can solder two wires, or a wire to a terminal, but I thought that the Cree required a special kind of soldering, with which I am not familiar. I really don't know, and that's why I'm asking.

Also, aside from physically fitting into the flashlight, mustn't the voltage (and whatever else) be properly matched? Batteries<>circuitry<>LED?

Thanks for your help...............Frank

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The crees are designed to be reflow soldered but many people have successfully managed to solder wires using a regular soldering iron. I think I read something about having to bake the led first to drive out any moisture (but don't quote me on that). You also need to heatsink the base while isolating the bottom electrical contacts.

The main problem you will have with a Luxeon -> Cree swap is that the radiation pattern is different and requires a different reflector to achieve proper focus.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Wow, you're scaring me about the soldering requirements. I'm not sure that I'm up to the task. I'll do a google search on "reflow soldering".

If the OEM reflector gives a few rings or other artifacts with the Cree, I've no problem with that. I lust for more light, and can live with an imperfect beam. If it totally screws up the light pattern, that's another matter.

I'm hoping that a semi-pro modder will step forward and do the job for a reasonable fee.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Frank

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Holy Smoke!

I just looked up reflow soldering here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering

and I don't think that I'll be attempting this particular process any time soon.

I got the Cree LED for nothing, so I'm not afraid to play around with it. I'd hate to harm my flashlight, however, by messing up the LED swap out.

Let's see what additional information may be forthcoming.

Thanks.................Frank

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be intimidated by reflow soldering. I only destroyed a few led's before I got the hang of it. After that, no problem. You can always solder to the top of the LED and use thermal epoxy to secure the light to the heatsink. It's just a little bit more delicate soldering work but once it's done, its solid.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw one thread where someone managed to transplant a cree into a Fenix P1 but I can't find it now.

Some luxeon reflectors do a good job of focusing the Cree e.g. Surefire L6 but with most you will end up with no throw or a dark bit in the middle and bright ring round the outside.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Transplanting is trivial compared to getting the proper beam from the transplant. The reflector/optics are not compatible between Luxeon and Cree.