"Dropped my A2" rant

stockae92

Enlightened
i dropped my A2 the other night cause i was carrying a handful of stuff and one thing too many. :(

it was in the sureire nylon holster and was dropped from about 3 feet.

in my case, the holster offers little protection cause the lanyard ring (with no lanyard attached) broke into 3 pieces and there are small nicks on the side of bezel, nothing too serious (considering it was metal bezel vs. the ground).

everything still works (which is good) but the nicks and broken lanyard ring ruin my night (for about 30 min :p then i got over it, lol)

thanks for reading my rant ...

the lanyard is weak in general?

wmirag

Enlightened
I ***hate*** when I drop a mint light.

So sorry yours got banged up.

W.

speederino

Enlightened
Reminds me of a story back in college....

Mind you I majored in music. Inevitably when someone in our trumpet studio got a new horn they would baby the snot out of it for a few weeks. Our trumpet professor would always say "hurry up and scratch it so you can get back to playing it."

Well one guy in particular spent way too much time lovin' on his new horn. He was constantly polishing the silver and rubbing it with a cloth diaper. Our prof finally got fed up one day and asked to play the fine jewel of a horn....needless to say the valve casing didn't get along too well with his wedding ring...."whoops, sorry! Well, now it's got it's first scratch, so you can get back to playing it..."

It may have been a little exteme, but the experience stuck with me. Now, when I use things, and they show signs of use, I don't freak out so much anymore. It still sucks to get that first big blemish on something you treasure, but I've found I DO end up enjoying actually using something a little more after the perfection is gone, most likely because I don't have incentive to be so careful!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry you dropped your A2 and damaged it. My wife dropped my Kroma and put a little ding on the front of the bezzle, however I see this as a good thing because I bought it to be used and now that it's no longer in "mint" condition it is a more usable flashlight that I'm nolonger afraid to "hurt". it has become a great tool and it's got "personalitly" now.

Doug

Mad1

Enlightened
In my opinion if it is your EDC light then you shouldnt mind dropping it.

I EDC a SF L1 and it gets dropped on occasions, but I don't mind it taking a beating.

It's a tool like my knife that I selected because it will need to take some damage.

I just call them character marks. :)

mchlwise

Enlightened
I was all kinds of careful when I got me new phone over a year ago (Motorola E815).

Now, I've got it hanging on a Berkely Point clip on my beltloop, and it frequently smacks into stuff and I don't care.

Just yesterday I looked at the front of it and said "Hmmmm. I wonder where that huge GOUGE came from." Hadn't even noticed it, and have no idea when it happened.

EDC things are tools, and will get their "character marks". Sucks when it first happens, but if you want it to remain perfect it has to be a shelf queen, and for that, why have it? (IMO)

:rock:

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I actually accidently drop kicked my Inova X0 into a curb less than a week after I got it. It was pristine. I've used it almost daily ever since and don't even notice as the scratches and dings accumulate. At least I know it's durable.

Illum

Flashaholic
diggdug13 said:
Sorry you dropped your A2 and damaged it. My wife dropped my Kroma and put a little ding on the front of the bezzle, however I see this as a good thing because I bought it to be used and now that it's no longer in "mint" condition it is a more usable flashlight that I'm nolonger afraid to "hurt". it has become a great tool and it's got "personalitly" now.

Doug

yep, as all lights, no matter whether its a mag or a mclux...the first ding hurts the most, then the next couple of dings is like "meh, oh well"

A mint light is under the emphasis of retaining its price value...and a light that has been put through many tasks will have dings.

My A2 was fortunate enough to fall 4 feet on to my shoes before landing on asphalt...no dings..yet

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
stockae92,

If you can find a good thick o-ring, you can attach your lanyard directlly to the A2's tailcap without the lanyard ring or lobster claw.

lanyard_a2.jpg

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta agree the first cut is the deepest (now what song was that?). If you bought it as a user then no worries, it should show a bit more character by the time your done.

firefly99

Enlightened
mchlwise said:
EDC things are tools, and will get their "character marks". Sucks when it first happens, but if you want it to remain perfect it has to be a shelf queen, and for that, why have it? (IMO)
:rock:
That why I get two of each item if it is within my budget.

Keep one in mint condition as a shelf queen and EDC the 2nd unit. Let me baby the shelf queen all I want and fully enjoy using its twin. I also had the pleasure to admire how my EDC look like when it is in mint condition and look new. Just like collectors of 1st day issue stamps or currency note.

For my EDC, I don't mind the "character marks" or using it if my hands are dirty and oily. But will never touch the shelf queen with dirty hands.

stockae92, Sorry that you drop your A2. Maybe if budget permit, you should do what I did.

Last edited:

Buffalohump

Enlightened
:awman:

My wife (well, she was my girlfriend then) once dropped my Breitling Superocean from waist height onto a tiled surface. Bear in mind this is one heavy watch, so by the time it hit it must have been travelling pretty fast. I damn near plutzed and I admit a sharp word or ten issued from me before I could stop myself. I really regretted it afterwards as she was devastated. The watch sustained a ding but worked fine nevetheless BTW...

I HATE it when I drop something, I'm like still cursing myself for hours afterwards. IMO the best thing ever invented for flashlight nuts is the lanyard. As soon as I pick up a light I slip the lanyard over my wrist. Around the neck is another good option. Which reminds me, I have to make on for my HDS 42...

Sorry, I know hindsight is 20-20....

CQB

Enlightened
feel for ya! Been there, done that. :)

My A2 has many dings nowadays. Been using it as an EDC for awhile now. Your favorite light usually is the one you use often, or EDC... and as sure as anything you will drop it one day (or night!). Thank God it still works as intended, thats the most important thing. Imagine after dropping such a sweet light, that it didnt work anymore. Now THAT would just suck arse! :(

havent dropped my Kroma...... yet. :)

just received my (hella expensive) limited edition SF PKEF! Already dreading the day I drop this bad boy..! (*shudder*)

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concept said:
Gotta agree the first cut is the deepest (now what song was that?). If you bought it as a user then no worries, it should show a bit more character by the time your done.
[size=-1]Sheryl Crow :)
[/size]

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
stockae92, I have a spare lanyard ring you can have for free if you want it. Just PM me your address and I'll put it in the post.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I dropped the A2 from about 1 metre onto rough concrete warehouse floor pretty much the day after I got it. It got the first of many character marks. I didn't have time to get emotionally attached to it in its pristine state. I suggest that trying to protect a device against gaining character will make it all the more difficult to adjust to it's first ding.

Al