huntlight ft02x flickers using unprotected rcr123

bxstylez

Enlightened
huntlight ft02x flickers using unprotected rcr123 800mah

BUT it doesnt flicker when i use AW protected rcr123 750mah

can anyone explain?

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the protected may be slightly longer, making better contact with the head.

bxstylez

Enlightened
using magnets on the top would cause problems because it'll be located right under the driver board, or whatever u call it

but if the magnet is on the bottom of the battery, does it have any bad side effects?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a magnet on the bottom of an R123A in one of my lights and have no probs. The reason it may be a problem at the top of the battery is because the magnetic field may interfere with the circuit (which also has a magnetic field from the inductor) and alter it's operating parameters. On the bottom, the magnetic field should die down enough to not affect anything.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A magnet at the + end can shift and cause a direct short between the + and - areas at the head of the light and may short out the battery .... which can be hazardous in a light.

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
Since most lights have the whole body as the negative connection, the area not too far of the positive connection is negative. If a magnet is placed on top of the plus side of the battery and you, say, drop you light--the magnet can slip a little and still be touching the positive side of the battery but also the negative body. Then you're shorting your battery, which can get very dangerous with an unprotected lithium ion battery.

Putting a magnet down at the bottom gets around the safety concern. I did this with a washer on one of my unreliable lights, but whenever I would drop it, the washer would short the negative of the battery to the body of the light---thus bypassing the tailcap. So the light would be stuck on until I opened it up to line everything up.

I've found that cutting a screw short and sticking it in the middle of the tailcap spring helped get a good connection without ever bypassing the switch.

bxstylez

Enlightened
i figured this problem out on my own using common sense

i exended/stretched the springs just a tad bit so it has better contact with the (-) of any kinds of 123's, whether primary or rechargeables

i also did the same to the huntlight ft-01
so now, both are flicker-free :grin2:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
My huntlight ft-02x is awsome with the unprotected 123a....it puts out as much or better than my ft-01....no flickering...

Latest posts