GPS Street map software on VGA display, no CD?

d'mo

Enlightened
Greetings,

I'm considering the purchase of a compact flash GPS receiver. The issue is, I'll be using it with an older Toshiba Libretto 70 (P120, 32M RAM, 6GB HDD, VGA, no CD) and possibly the upcoming Tiqit Eightythree (www.tiqit.com, also VGA, no CD.)

Does anyone know of any street map software that...?:
-Supports NMEA-0183 and WGS84 GPS standards.
-Can be fully loaded and run from a laptop's hard disk.
-Can be used on a VGA (640x480) screen.
-Provides door-to-door routing
-Allows route planning by "mouse click"
-Provides audio directions.
-Is upgradeable

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect DeLorme Street Atlas USA would fit your requirements. I have V7.0 (outdated already) and it has an "extraction" tool which loads the maps on your hard drive.

I've used it on my laptop with my Garmin III+ GPS.
You can do routing based on addresses and you can coax it to take different routes via way points.

I skipped getting the 8.0 release, but am considering getting the new 2003 release - it does look a bit spiffier. And they claim to have updated the maps via aerial photos. The other feature that sounds good is you can add your own roads.

http://www.delorme.com/streetatlas2003/default.asp

-john

d'mo

Enlightened
John N,

Thanks for your suggestion. According to Delorme's web site, the system requirements indicate SVGA, 300Mhz processor and CD. Any other ideas?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it may say SVGA, you can make the window more or less as small as you would like.

I've attached an image where the whole image size is less than VGA:
streetmap.jpg

As for speed, I don't know why it wouldn't work, but it will probably be slow - but I don't see how you are going to get around that.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, as far as CD - you need the CDROM to get the data off the CDROM they ship you. I kinda assumed you had this figured out as everyone ships on CDROM. I also assume that is why they say you need a CDROM.

-john

d'mo

Enlightened
John

Many thanks! It looks like it will work. It might be sluggish on the Libretto, but the Tiqit is supposed to have a 300mHz processor. It should be OK there.

Again - Many Thanks!!!