P1D vs P1DCE

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
Will the P1D's beam be as "ringy" as P1DCE? What exactly causes the "ring"?

Wiz

Newly Enlightened
No, the rings are caused by the Cree LED which is larger and there are less reflectors available that are designed to take it at the moment. I expect that the one in the P1DCE has been modified rather than made especially for the job.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry wrong.
The ringyness if you want to call it that is caused by an aluminum bezel which holds the lens over the emitter. It also moves heat down into the board it is mounted on. It is part of the assembly it is reflective. If it were anodized matte black at least part of the problem would go away. Lights like the A-19 which have reflectors that choke up to the emitter above this aluminum ring do not have the problem.
if you show the ring to the reflector it becomes part of the image thus the ringyness

Wiz said:
No, the rings are caused by the Cree LED which is larger and there are less reflectors available that are designed to take it at the moment. I expect that the one in the P1DCE has been modified rather than made especially for the job.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
has anyone tried painting it (the ring) with flat black engine paint?

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
So I can expect a P1Dce v2.0 to be "ringless" since the problem seems can be circumvented :)

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the problem is more likely due to a poorly designed reflector. The beam angle is quite a bit different on the XR-E than it is with a high dome Luxeon.

Wiz

Newly Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
Sorry wrong.

Not it isn't, you are just saying more or less the same thing but from a different prospective. If the reflector was purpose designed so that it butted on top of the retaining ring, the ring on the beam would go away for sure. We don't know that merely painting it back would cure the problem at all as no one has actually tried it yet and logically, if the black ring still shows in the reflector there would still be some kind of artifact in the beam. Heavy reflector stippling might also cure the problem but at the expense of some throw.

The answer to the original question remains the same though - you won't see the rings in the P1D.

chevrofreak = exactly my thoughts m8.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was interested in the title of the thread.

I would have to say that for 20 dollars less and no ringyness in the beam, I am buying the P1D with the Luxeon. Super brightness is not more important to me than a quality beam.

-Goatee

x2x3x2

Banned
All this talk about the aluminium sleeve around the emitter causing the ring in the beam, i do not think is true. The Huntlight FT-01 i modded with an XR-E did not have any rings btw...

I think the P1D CE rings are effect of the reflector, the narrow 75 degree radiation angle of the XR-E will not put out enough light to the sides to produce that ring.

flame2000

Enlightened
Is the Cree XR-E LED aluminium bezel on the P1D CE covered by the reflector or not covered by the reflector?

On the P1D pic, I can only see the luxeon dome but not the black bezel. The P1D reflector fit the luxeon dome closely without much of the black bezel seen. I expect a better beam from the P1D. :)

LowTEC

Enlightened
No offense, but I would like to point out that yaesumofo has been posting the same theory on a few different threads and has already been proven wrong but different members with different lights that they modified. I remember a couple members actually go so far to paint the bezel part to experiment and proved his theory is indeed, incorrect

LightBright

Enlightened
I put a XR-E in my McLux (one of the original 100 turnkey units), and with no reflector, the beam is a Perfect, solid wall of light.

Then I put in the McLux "flood" metal reflector, which has a semi-smooth surface, and wha-la there are the rings everybody is talking about.

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
can anyone with the P1D post a beam shot? A picture worth a thousand words. :)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not bashing anything man. I am certainly not bashing Fenix here.
I am sharing my experirnce. I have 3 cree based lights. 2 of them are ringy. one is not. It is more about the reflector and about the image of the emitter being projected. if there is a circle in the image it will be projected. The question really isn't anout fenix lights. it is about emitters.
Anyway I am not bashing anything.
Whatever.
Yaesumofo

shao.fu.tzer said:
Yaesumofo,
No, sorry, this is just wrong. Crees are ringy because it's new technology. Every Cree I've handled has been ringy and I seriously doubt with the amount of research that went into that thing before hitting the market, they'd let something that foolish ruin a fantastic light - and as someone else said th P1D isn't ringy yet they use the same reflector/bezel. If you hate Fenix so much why do I always see you bashing them in every thread you pop up on about them? Just go post about the lights you like. Not everyone was born into a wealthy family and for some of us Fenix is about as good of quality as we're going to get. Go find some other brand to bash. Sorry we can't all afford McLux's and $500 lights! Seriously are you being paid by another Flashlight company? You bash everything Fenix makes!!!!

Shao

JnC

Newly Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
I have 3 cree based lights. 2 of them are ringy. one is not. It is more about the reflector and about the image of the emitter being projected.

Yaesumofo, are all of the reflectors of the traditional metalized type? I take it none are TIR PMMA, correct?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. This makes sense to me. The reflector is projecting an image of the emitter. That emitter is surrounded by a white metal aluminum ring. The image of that ring is being projected with all of the light reflecting off of it. The ring is definitely contributing to the ringy effect. I may be wrong as you say some people have painted the ring and done some experiments (I haven't seen ant images showing this BTW). I think it is all about emitter reflector combination. BTW I also think there are 2 distinct circle effects we are seeing. not everybody is talking about the same thing here, this is somewhat confusing to some people.

Anyway is you stick something round and shiny into the focal point of a reflector it will be projected..
This is a simple fact as shown by bright light experiment.
Yaesumofo

Light Bright said:
I put a XR-E in my McLux (one of the original 100 turnkey units), and with no reflector, the beam is a Perfect, solid wall of light.

Then I put in the McLux "flood" metal reflector, which has a semi-smooth surface, and wha-la there are the rings everybody is talking about.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is correct. the least ringy of the three is the 19mm reflector used in the a19 cree light from the shoppe. This reflector doesn't project the image of the aluminum ring because it is hiddeen from the focal point of the reflector. the 27mm reflector that don is using shows the ring quite well. but the 20 mm PD reflector shows the ring the best so far.
Yaesumofo

JnC said:
Yaesumofo, are all of the reflectors of the traditional metalized type? I take it none are TIR PMMA, correct?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
None taken. I don't actually mind being proven worng. At least people are expending energy in an attempt to fingure out what is going on. that is a good thing. Besides, I don't think I have been proven wrong yet. I haven't seen an image showing what they are saying yet. I have three of these lights and have seen the effect first hand. I also think there is some confusion because I beleive we are talking about 2 different ringy effects.
I may be wrong but I know what I see with my eyes and I know that if you put somthing with a ring around it that is shiny into the focal point of a reflector (or optic)the image of that will be projected.
I may be wrong....but some how I don't thing so.
Yaesumofo

LowTEC said:
No offense, but I would like to point out that yaesumofo has been posting the same theory on a few different threads and has already been proven wrong but different members with different lights that they modified. I remember a couple members actually go so far to paint the bezel part to experiment and proved his theory is indeed, incorrect