Lithium Powered Flashlights - No Safety Ratings?

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
I love Inova flashlights, I feel they're the most underrated company out there, but there's just something in the back of my mind.

Why don't Inova flashlights have UL ratings such as division 1, division 2, class 1, class 2, etc...?

My Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA does have UL ratings but my Inova XO does not.

Anybody know why?

Thanks!

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple: Emissive Energy, the maker of Inovas, did not submit lights and pay for the safety rating from UL.

That said, I doubt that Inovas can get a safety rating, being thick-walled metal lights; if the light explodes, it would produce shrapnel. They also lack overpressure valves.

Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics and Pelican are the big three companies specializing on lights with safety rating; they're all plastic bodied lights. If you need a light for hazardous environs, get one from them.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak said:
That said, I doubt that Inovas can get a safety rating, being thick-walled metal lights; if the light explodes, it would produce shrapnel. They also lack overpressure valves.

I don't think shrapnel is the reason. An exploding plastic body light could produce flying debris also.

I think it has more to do with potential sparking. The possibility that an object dropped onto rock might produce a spark that could ignite an explosive atmosphere.

Metal striking stone is well known to produce sparks, while plastic on stone doesn't.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I think you are referring to a device that is Intrinsically Safe, not explosion proof.

Explosion proof, according to the National Electrical Code, applies to an apparatus enclosed in a case that is capable of withstanding a gas or vapor explosion. It means that, should there be an explosion, it will be contained within an enclosure.

The definition from FM Global says:

Intrinsically Safe Circuit: A circuit in which any spark or thermal effect, produced either normally or in specified fault conditions, is incapable of causing ignition of a mixture of flammable or combustable material in air in the mixture's most easily ignited concentration.

Therefore, Intrinsically safe means that an apparatus, such as a flashlight is not capable of causing an explosion via a spark.

Explosion proof means that should an explosion occur, it will be contained within an enclosure.

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just a small question. How come we never see lithium powered flashlights made from plastic that has safety ratings like UL Division 1/Division 2?

Is there a lithium powered flashlight out there that has UL Division ratings?

Lets say I see a house engulfed in flames, and I take a lithium powered flashlight such as an Inova XO, and go in to clear the house to see if anyone is inside. Since the flashlight doesn't have a safety rating, the flashlight will possibly explode, right?

Thanks!

-lightUup

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've combined the threads, moved it to the general flashlight discussion forum and renamed the posts. Theres no need to have two threads on the same topic.

The safety ratings tend to be there to ensure the device does not cause a fire or explosion, not that the device can survive a fire or explosion.

Safety-rated flashlights must not be able to generate sparks so metal bodies tend to be avoided.

Safety-rated flashlights must not be able to ignite materials/gases due to the surface (body or window) becoming [too] hot through use.

Safety-rated flashlights must not allow the build-up of explosive gases inside of the flashlight that could vent causing an explosion. Use of hydrogen absorbing pellets and emergency vents tends to be used.

Safety-rated flashlights must by physically strong enough not to be damaged (break open) when dropped or crushed or whatever so that the bulb and electrical contacts are not exposed. The use of glass windows or materials that can shatter (rather than deform) tends to be avoided.

Safety-rated flashlights must have a switch mechanism that does not expose the electrical contacts so there is no risk of sparking.

You must not open a safety-rated flashlight in an area in which safety-rated equipment is required to be used. In general the flashlight should be switched on prior to entering the high-risk area and left on until safely back outside again.

The result is that small safety-rated flashlights tend to be lower output so they don't become hot. The bulbs are not driven as hard to reduce the chance of premature burn out. The bodies tend to be polymer and double o-ring sealed, contain hydrogen absorbing pellets and feature pressure equalisation vents. Switches tend to be magnetic and windows tend to be polycarbonate. Runtimes tend to be longer since changing batteries is not an option.

Lithium CR123A battery powered flashlights are designed for the opposite:
Very small, driven very hard for maximum output. All other considerations secondary or set aside.

Al

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
I've combined the threads, moved it to the general flashlight discussion forum and renamed the posts. Theres no need to have two threads on the same topic.

The safety ratings tend to be there to ensure the device does not cause a fire or explosion, not that the device can survive a fire or explosion.

Safety-rated flashlights must not be able to generate sparks so metal bodies tend to be avoided.

Safety-rated flashlights must not be able to ignite materials/gases due to the surface (body or window) becoming [too] hot through use.

Safety-rated flashlights must not allow the build-up of explosive gases inside of the flashlight that could vent causing an explosion. Use of hydrogen absorbing pellets and emergency vents tends to be used.

Safety-rated flashlights must by physically strong enough not to be damaged (break open) when dropped or crushed or whatever so that the bulb and electrical contacts are not exposed. The use of glass windows or materials that can shatter (rather than deform) tends to be avoided.

Safety-rated flashlights must have a switch mechanism that does not expose the electrical contacts so there is no risk of sparking.

You must not open a safety-rated flashlight in an area in which safety-rated equipment is required to be used. In general the flashlight should be switched on prior to entering the high-risk area and left on until safely back outside again.

The result is that small safety-rated flashlights tend to be lower output so they don't become hot. The bulbs are not driven as hard to reduce the chance of premature burn out. The bodies tend to be polymer and double o-ring sealed, contain hydrogen absorbing pellets and feature pressure equalisation vents. Switches tend to be magnetic and windows tend to be polycarbonate. Runtimes tend to be longer since changing batteries is not an option.

Lithium CR123A battery powered flashlights are designed for the opposite:
Very small, driven very hard for maximum output. All other considerations secondary or set aside.

Al
Hi,

Thanks for the informative reply! Sorry about starting 2-threads.

So, if a firefighter were to look for a lithium powered flashlight, he'd be out of luck?

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
lightUup said:
So, if a firefighter were to look for a lithium powered flashlight, he'd be out of luck?
EDC Basic series is described as "Intrinsically Safe' and 'Explosion Proof'.

Others might be, too. Google is your friend. :whistle:

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
I have seen MagChargers in use of local oil refinary. The manual says explosien tested MIL-STD 810C, Method 511.1.
I guess that' good enough for them.

Size15's

Flashaholic
GarageBoy said:
UK 2L, is it UL rated?
Not according to the info I read on the UKE website.

wholeflaffer said:
EDC Basic series is described as "Intrinsically Safe' and 'Explosion Proof'.
Unless the product is marked in accordance with the requirements of the National and International Safety Standards regulating the use of devices in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres they can not be used in hazardous areas.
(I admit the USA and other countries may not have as strict regulations compared to the UK and EU)

Products are required to be categorised by the level of protection that they offer against the risk of them becoming a potential source of ignition of an explosive atmosphere and to mark these permanently on the outside of the product.

Part of the risk assessment required when determining the type of work equipment (products) suitable for use in hazardous areas should be a background check into the certifications that the product states that it has. This may take the form of requesting the test report and certificate for the product and checking that it is valid and from an accredited test lab. If in doubt the product should be sent to an accredited test lab for testing and certification.

Normally approvals for use in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres are obtained at significant cost and effort. Companies such as Pelican proudly detail the approvals their products have gained. There is no reason not to.

I used to work in a product test lab - granted not for testing products for suitability of use in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres but the principles are the same.

Wetterman said:
I have seen MagChargers in use of local oil refinary. The manual says explosien tested MIL-STD 810C, Method 511.1.
I guess that' good enough for them.
But not good enough for use in Europe. The "Use Directive" requires that only ATEX certified devices are used in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres and as far as I can determine no Maglite product is ATEX certified.

Al

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
But not good enough for use in Europe. The "Use Directive" requires that only ATEX certified devices are used in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres and as far as I can determine no Maglite product is ATEX certified.

Al

In Europe yes, in Finland. Since when is the ATEX certification required? It's been about ten years when I saw the MC's at the refinary. Maybe the requiremenst have changed since then.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Wetterman said:
In Europe yes, in Finland. Since when is the ATEX certification required? It's been about ten years when I saw the MC's at the refinary. Maybe the requiremenst have changed since then.
From 01-July-2003

OceanView

Enlightened
I've long wondered about this question of using AA lithiums instead of alkalines and safety ratings, too. Of course, with the caveat that the light can handle the lithiums in the first place. For example, I love my UK 4AA eLED's (I have two) and they run fine on lithiums. However, UK's literature says that it is not safety rated except with alkalines.

I always wondered if this is the case simply because the manufacturer just didn't want to pay yet again to have a particular light certified with lithiums, or is there something about lithium batteries themselves that preclude them from maintaining a safety rating on a flashlight that is already safety rated with other battery types? Their higher discharge potential? Maybe simply the fact that they haven't been around long enough yet like alkalines or nicads to be trusted in such applications?

Anyway, it just always seemed strange that these lights are safety rated with alkalines and some with nicads, but never with lithiums even though they seem to provide many advantages in certain applications like longer runtime and lighter weight. I would consider this to be a slightly different question from "Why no safety rated CR123a flashlights?" As Size15's pointed out, those lights are designed for them and tend to differ in many aspects (like often running hot) compared to your typical safety rated flashlight and were never safety rated in the first place. Thanks for reading.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Although I do not know the testing schedule I assume that using a different battery brand, let alone a different battery chemistry requires re-certification.
Since the batteries are vital to the operation of the [battery-powered] device I would suggest that a significant proportion (if not all) of the testing would have to be performed again.

Al