flashlight saves man

DaveG

Enlightened
A local radio station in Hartford Ct.reports that a man was mugged by three men in a Hartford park last night about 5pm.He was knocked down by them,pulled a flashlight and shined it at them and the muggers ran off.Thought this was interesting news.

cutlerylover

Banned
how about that...If I had to guess, I am sure that the muggers didn't want the attention the light was going to get, but maybe it was a nice torch that temporarily blinded them when they were taken off guard?

Supernam

Enlightened
I love flashlights and all, but come on now... 3 criminals scared off by a flashlight? It better have been some sort of nuclear powered radiation beam.

LowTEC

Enlightened
The muggers should've taken the flashlight with them, what a waste :nana:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a Mag 6C "police special". Lead foil around the batteries and plenty of wear from toothbrushing bleach into the knurling to get "debris" :whistle: out.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Without knowing the entire story, possibilities why the criminals ran away might be...

- If it was dark and the flashlight was bright enough then they could have been temporarily blinded.
- They were worried that the flashlight would attract attention.
- They realized the guy was trying to fight back and thought, "if this guy is toting a flashlight what else might he be carrying (gun or some other weapon)..."

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-hfdpark1206.artdec06,0,610601.story0

Police said one of the three attackers approached the man and asked him for change. When he refused, the group knocked him to the ground. The man who was attacked pulled out a flashlight and shone it at the three men, who ran from the area.

Police declined to release the name of the victim, who suffered minor injuries.

Nothing further about what flashlight might have been used. Presumably (to me), the perpetrators did not wish to be recognized.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
kooter said:
He forgot to say, the light was attached to a Glock:laughing:

+10, kooter!

I mean, mercy goodness! Are there really "vigilantes" out there who would (a) take the law into their own hands, (b) actually "lower" themselves to "their" level, and (c) simply REFUSE to be a victim?

The Neanderthal who used his flashlight to perpetrate this heinous, politically-incorrect act of aggression should be severely flogged with an organic wet noodle and then sent to the blackboard to write the following statement 100 times:

"Never fight back. Violence never solved anything. Just dial 9-1-1."

I gotta go now. My "Non-Violent Urban Conflict Resolution" class at the regional castration center starts in 15 minutes. Gotta suck-up to the teacher to get a good grade.

luigi

Enlightened
Some muggers are quite shy and smart, as long as the victim does anything they just run away and search for a new target.
He could have probably pulled a potato gun with the same effect.

Luigi

FredM

Enlightened
e17de644.jpg

msm1018

Newly Enlightened
Concept said:
Flashlights don't kill people. people kill people. :)
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although firearms is changeable with flashlights, but both are applicable.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I'm willing to bet the muggers were very nerveous, and they didn't know how to react or what to expect when the man pulled a flashlight, and they decided to be better safe than sorry!

pathalogical

Enlightened
Maybe the muggers took off because they thought the victim got a good look at their faces once the light lite 'em up. Darkness is the best tool to commit crimes with !

Also, there are many post around here that someone inquires about a flashlight for "defensive use". This incident shows you can use a light to ward off bad guys. And who knows, maybe the victim is a CPFer !!!