2007 Chevy Tahoe Police Car

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been fascinated by police cars ever since the CHP put big-engined Camaro's and Mustang's into service several decades ago.

For anyone who's interested, here's a pic of the latest police "car" to be offered to any agency that can afford it.

2v81rmb.jpg

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tahoe's are HORRIBLE for police work. Poor handling, poor acceleration, poor stopping, unreliable, etc. This is from working experience.

CVPI's are lousy, also, but there isn't too much choice, and an SUV for city patrol is not a good choice.

--dan

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano said:
Tahoe's are HORRIBLE for police work. Poor handling, poor acceleration, poor stopping, unreliable, etc. This is from working experience.

CVPI's are lousy, also, but there isn't too much choice, and an SUV for city patrol is not a good choice.

--dan

Ah, they have them also. We have one at our fire department and there seems to be a lot of them about. Add to the above complaints poor gas milage and frequent trips to a shop.

Chances are that most departments can afford them. Lights, sirens, paint, etc, etc are extra and cost a lot more than the $700.00 we paid for it...

Homeland security has taken a bite into LE and FD budgets so they are hard to resist and Chevy gets to dump poor sellers and take a tax break on their good work.

Schnotts

Newly Enlightened
I have already used one. We had a 2006 Chevy Tahoe for awhile. It was being passed around from Detachment to detachment every few months to see how we liked them. They got about the same mileage as the Crown Vics but much more room. I liked it because of all the headroom and ground clearance. Got a bit wobbly though on the highway once you hit over 160 km/hr.

aggiejason

Newly Enlightened
The DPS here in Texas has a few Chargers scattered about. I see a few Cameros still in use as well. I've also seen Border Patrol using the Chargers as well as some local agencies.

Banshee

Enlightened
The last decent police cruiser was the Chevy Caprice 9C1 with the LT-1. It was basically an iron-head version of the Corvette motor. 260 HP with no problem.

Like mine ! :)

224b.jpg