Keep it or give it away?

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Seeing the thread about collections made me wonder--

I've got an Inova X1 that has an exceptionally poor beam. Small, weak, very blue tint (kinda flacid :laughing: ).

We have a white elephant gift exchange at work. I was thinking that this would be good for that; someone might get interested in the obsession, as this is still probably the fanciest flashlight they'll ever see.

Would this be a good white elephant gift, or do you all keep all your lights, crappy or not?

(I already have another X1 with a far better beam, plus the newer version on the way).

Thanks!

Cribbage

thezman

Enlightened
You could give it away in the hopes that it will convert a non-user into the hobby. But if it's as bad as you say, it may end up having the opposite effect, as the person might think that all led lights look crappy, which we know is not the case.

I take all of my sub-standard lights and use them for modding experiments. If they don't work out as planned, they get stripped of usable parts and then chucked in the trash.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
White elephant gift exchanges can be fun and hilarious, but generally they involve the exchange of unwanted gifts or unwanted new items that you might have around (e.g. the yogurt maker that you got as a wedding present 20 years ago :) ) I don't think that giving your broken toys is quite in the spirit of things, unless the recipient already knows what to do with it (i.e. send it back to Emissive to get it repaired/replaced.)

Come to think of it, I bought an X1 a couple of months ago, and it was pretty weak and was somewhat bluish. I thought that was the normal output from that light? Anyway I returned it, so it's not really an issue.

Cribbage said:
Seeing the thread about collections made me wonder--

I've got an Inova X1 that has an exceptionally poor beam. Small, weak, very blue tint (kinda flacid :laughing: ).

We have a white elephant gift exchange at work. I was thinking that this would be good for that; someone might get interested in the obsession, as this is still probably the fanciest flashlight they'll ever see.

Would this be a good white elephant gift, or do you all keep all your lights, crappy or not?

(I already have another X1 with a far better beam, plus the newer version on the way).

Thanks!

Cribbage

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give it away!!! it gives someone else the joy of light and you the much needed excuse to buy another one.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its weak, its too dim, flacid, you should not give it to anyone at work, it would probably insult them. Why don't you send it to me and I will make sure it does not insult anyone. We all know that only super bright flashlights are worth carrying.

I will gladly dispose of it for you :).

Welcome to CPF

g36pilot

Enlightened
Since by participating in the CPF forums you are now a proven connoisseur of illumination. Mere mortals at the workplace will not have as high an expectation as you in this world. Pass that light sabre on and watch personal illumination grow.

Enlightenment is often quite rewarding.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Put a lithium in it and stash it in a car's glove box or first aid kit?
You'll wish you had it the next time you need a light and don't have one!!

That's why an ARC AAA is ALWAYS on my keyring!!

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhhh k :whistle: , since Sigman let the cat out of the bag, the X1 is an excellant small light for emergency use. Its light output to runtime ratio makes it one of my favorite EDC lights, and lights to stash when I need something.

I would bet my life on it over other many times brighter lights, that may die in the middle of some time consuming emergency. You dont always need a lot of light, you may well need a light that runs for a LONG time period.

Like he said, put in a good lithium and put it somewhere where it will be when you truly need a light.

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
My other old X1 is a pretty good beam; ringy and kinda yellow, but I use it as an inspection light on the work bench.

The new X1 arrived today. Most people I think will complain about the lack of output, but I think it will be my new bedside light for finding my glasses or checking the radio.

Cribbage

Illum

Flashaholic
thezman said:
it may end up having the opposite effect, as the person might think that all led lights look crappy, which we know is not the case.

pfft, compared to the eveready industral 2D krypton lights with warped lenses and scratched reflectors they have at the office...any leds output is better than the typical "bright dot fat elliptical ring" output from the stock 2Ds

ones in jobsite is craftman industrials....same output:ohgeez:
im thinking of buying a few brinkmann maxfires from target for xmas to replace them

thezman

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:

Is that a real word? I looked it up in the dictionary and couldn't find it. :laughing:

For me personally, I'd rather have a crappy yellow incan, than a weak blue led.

So I quess pfft really doesn't apply here because everybody is entitled to their own opinion about what is right for them regardless of what somebody else thinks.

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
break it open and drop a cree in there. If that doesnt make you happy, sell it for shipping costs on CPF BST. One of us will make that light shine again like it's supposed to. Give it away here!

Danbo

Enlightened
Surely you have a little nephew or niece, or grandkid(don't know how old you are). Kids LOVE lights! Everytime I buy a light from Lighthound, they send me a little keychain LED light free. Those go to my grandson and my granddaughter. The smiles on their faces, make it all worthwhile, IMO.

phyrez

Newly Enlightened
Do you know of any geeks in hiding at your office whom might be turned to the light? Then give it away.

Otherwise, I definitely think it would make a great emergency light stashed in your glove box with some good Liths.

Oh! BTW, hi there CPFers! :wave:
First time posting, been reading for a bit over half the year and already have a decent, ever growing collection, thanks to you crazy kids.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If this is the first version X1 then there are probably a few folks around here that would pay you for it. Seems like it wasn't long ago that a couple people were asking about how to get one.

Geoff