Flashaholic President of the US?

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Could a self-described flashaholic ever win a major public office like President or Senator? Would the Maglight and Eveready-carrying public even care? Do you think it would just seem too weird for most people? I think I could never run for public office because I'm way out on the bell curve on several fronts: I'm agnostic/atheist, I'm vegetarian and I'm a flashaholic.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think anyone would care. I get made fun of enough when a package comes to me every few months at work...I could only imagine what Letterman or Leno would say to someone who makes the love of flashlights a big issue.

One nice thing about this place is it lets people of different backgrounds and belief systems get together over one common interest. I am at the opposite end of the curve from yourself, (Christian, meat eater-although I don't hunt because I could never drag myself out of bed that early ) But all we fight about here is if leds are better than incans and if Surefires are worth the money. Kind of cool when you think about it.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
woodrow said:
I do not think anyone would care. I get made fun of enough when a package comes to me every few months at work...I could only imagine what Letterman or Leno would say to someone who makes the love of flashlights a big issue.

One nice thing about this place is it lets people of different backgrounds and belief systems get together over one common interest. I am at the opposite end of the curve from yourself, (Christian, meat eater-although I don't hunt because I could never drag myself out of bed that early ) But all we fight about here is if leds are better than incans and if Surefires are worth the money. Kind of cool when you think about it.

Good post.

Love the atmosphere here, dont know how it's maintained, small miracle. Without going in to politics and such, I think I would be on the opposite side of most of you, but still love this place. Everybody is so darn nice and helpfull here. :grouphug: :goodjob:

Maybe we should start unifying mankind through flashoholism? :grin2:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
It would be fun to say the least, but I would never vote for some one basely soley on their hobbies. Hitler used to sketch Beagle dogs in his spare time. Everybody loves beagles. Doesn't mean he'd get the popular vote. If the guy could really help the country in office and happened to have some sort of anti-flashlight vendetta, I'd still vote for him.

The founder of Wikipedia boasted his love of the Surefire M6 in an interview once, George Clooney is also a fan of Surefires with his traveling habits, but besides that I don't hear much about celebrity flashaholics. These days, having something like that on you can mean all sorts of problems to the ignorant public. If I saw some high-profile, but very sane politician with a flashlight tucked inside a pocket, I'd think 'This guy doesn't live behind a desk, I like that'. Other people...see a guy with a flashlight in his pocket, is he afraid of the dakr or what?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexSchira said:
George Clooney is also a fan of Surefires with his traveling habits, but besides that I don't hear much about celebrity flashaholics.
That's hilarious! He's got one of the best lines for a flashlight freak in Three Kings:
Archie Gates: That's what makes S.F. so badass, we got the best flashlights.

Wonder if he got that line through by himself.
Sorry for threadjacking.