No more double clicking for me.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Finally, I have found some PROTECTED RCR123's that will run 9 volt lamps in two cell bodies.

I have been looking for some to run 9 volt lamps for what seems like forever, but at least for over a year.

It all started wayback, when I saw someone had combined the surefire C2 with two of Jsburlys cells, and the P90 lamp.

This for me seemed like the winning combination as I always felt the C3 to be to long, and I also wanted a rechargable incan.

Jsburlys cells had a protection curcuit that would allow the P90 ( which has around a 1.2A current draw IIRC) But his cells were out of production when I got around to hearing about them, as the design had been copied.

There are Blue labled Protected RCR123's out there in abundance, but some of them, or most of them, wont drive lamps like the P90 or TL3 or Digilight 9V lamps, without a double tap to trick the protection cuircuit into running.

A few Had reported success with the blue cell, I think this i because they had very good contacts in their torches/ very low resistance lamps.

Still I ran with double tapping for a bit, but found it frustrating.

I always had the option of running unprotected, and did for a while, but my son ( 3 years old) found my torch one day and turned it on.
It ran down and the cells ran flat. That was good, because that was the best outcome I think that could have happened, I now no longer have any unprotected cells.
I think running unprotected cells is unsafe, especially when kids can find them and use them without knowing the dangers

I should have just moved up a cell size to 17500 and gone with the longer body, but I like my torches small, and had already bought 2, two cell lights that I wanted to run 9 volt lamps in, the E2D and the Vital Gear F2.

I then moved to the Digilight DRB HP 0.8 amp lamp, which was good, I coulden't see a drop in output, as some people mentioned, with my eyes, so I was happy as I didn't have to double tap. I had a solution for one of my lights.

But after emailing everybody in the world, we now have some more options.

After crazing AW for ages, begging him to produce some cells with the protection cuircuits that his 17500, etc. currently use, At first the manufacturers woulden't go for it, but I'm guessing he must have pestered them as much as I pesterd him, as, He will soon be releasing some cell with the "better curcuits", (not bad for a year or so.) I appreciate your efforts AW. Looking forward to them :D

And after emailing lighthound and asking If the new Batterystation cells could handle the TL3 lamp without a double click, he was unsure, but generously posted some out to me with the TL3 lamp to test, and said if they dont work I can return them, or if I like them then pay, but I'd get free shipping for my troubles, What a Awesome Dealer. :D

I now run the E2D with a Tl3 lamp and Two protected Batterystation cell from lighthound.

I now run the Vital Gear F2 with the Digilight DRB HP 1.2 amp lamp and Two protected Batterystation cell from lighthound.

Both are brighter than the P90-C2 combo that got me interested in the first place, with more runtime, and the cells now pack more power and alot smaller and nicer IMO for EDC.

Now I have a few more lamps to cram into my E2D that should beat the TL3 Or Digilight, and then I'm starting on some mag hotwires :D

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is good news.

I've been wanting to find protected R123's that I can use in the Spy005. Currently, I can't use high (level 6) on the Spy005 because the protection kicks in as soon as I hit level 6.

Bryan

Enlightened
I have never had to double click with my DAE (qualitychinagoods) protected cells. G90, P90, D26, no double clicking at all. Fires up on the first try.

These cells were recommended to me by several members on here for this very reason. I'm glad I bought them!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I had a P90 and a pair of protected 900mAh Battery Station RCR123A's I bought from Lighthound this summer. When I tried them together in a 6P body with a G&P clicky, I never had to double click. Even when the batteries were nearly dead and the beam was getting quite orange and dim, it lit up every click.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Bryan, my R123As from Dae also light up 9V lamps w/o the need for double click.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I was also recomended the blue protected cells from Dae.

Great dealer with good customer service, he even gave me a pair of 800mah unprotected cells for free as I bought a moderate ammount of stuff :) ...

But unfortunatley Dae's cells dont work for me. I have 6 of the blue protected RCR 123 750mAh cells and have tried every combination to see if some of the circuits are more sensitive than others.
They work great with my Nuwai Q3 and stuff like that, but they cant hande the digilight / Tl3 lamp.
Maybee it could handle a P90/ G90, but I think they would need to be a lower resistance lamp to the ones I have;
And I'm guessing that I'm just a tiny bit off being able to light up first click, as it only takes 2 taps.
One way I've read that double tapping could be improved is to reduce resistance everywhere else in the torch. By cleaning up all threads and adding conducting nyogell or progold etc the initial high resistance of the lamp would be helped if the body / connections were as low resistance as possible.

Oh and I was using the Fivemega Modded Stiron/ Tl3 socket for the E2D.

Latest posts