MagLite lense cover

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if you put a nice mineral lense in your D cell Mag, is there a lense cover a la the one used on expensive digicams to protect their lenses?

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
etc said:
So if you put a nice mineral lense in your D cell Mag, is there a lense cover a la the one used on expensive digicams to protect their lenses?
I did put one of the Borofloat lens in my M@g with the intention that it would not need protection like the stock plastic lens. I just hope that it survives the random slipery finger drop. . .

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
If you wrap some rubber bands around the rim of your Mag, you can take the plastic cover of an aerosol can (I'm using the red ones from Gillette Foamy Regular shaving cream, 312 grs, 322 ml) and just slide it on. Use enough rubber bands so it won't slide out unless you really pull.

I carry it like that and most of the time, I use the Mag with the cover on and the red light that it throws is enough for many a chore and doesn't bother you eyes accustomed to the dark.

Those DIYers can surely come up with a better adapter than my rubber bands and much cooler, too, but the rubber bands do the job.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about this very thing a month or so ago. I was entertaining the idea of a threaded bezel (like a 35mm SLR camera lens) and a lens cover with the little squeeze buttons on the size. There are also plastic slip in covers. Bring a Mag head to a camera shop and see what they have.

todnar

Newly Enlightened
Check and see if any flip open rifle scope covers would fit.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just dip the head in a little Plasti-dip to make your own custom-fit peel off vinyl lens cover. Of course it would only protect against scratching and not impact unless you glued some hard plastic to it.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
the lens protects the bulb and reflector. The lens cover protects the lens.. what protects the lens cover?

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
--Deleted because I misread your question--

Last edited: