Don't ever get SPAMARREST- heres why...

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Don\'t ever get SPAMARREST- heres why...

It's just as with flashlights. Use the right tool for the right job.

I've not used SpamArrest, but from the info on their site it appears it works exclusively from a whitelist. The whitelist is generated on the fly through a "handshake" type response to new mailings. This type of filtering usually permits you to also input entries into the list manually. Most of these types of filters doesn't completely trash the rejected messages, but instead moves them to a folder that can be checked, retrieved, and entered as legitimate later.

Whitelist and handshake verification is probably one of the most effective methods of filtering unwanted senders, but it's like using a 3 million CP spotlight to illuminate a keyhole.

Don't settle for one address. Get several, each filtered to the extent necessary to serve its purpose.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like a good idea, but very badly made
frown.gif

I wholeheartedly reccomend Mailwasher- http://mailwasher.net - it lets you preview what`s on your mail server before downloading it (set it to check for mail automatically, and not your mail program, so it gets there first), delete the Virusses and bounce the Spam back as undelivberable, and builds up a Blacklist database that you can also customize to add barred keywords- and then set it to auto-bounce those genuine blocked messages should you so desire.

Eventually (hopefully) the spammers will get the message that your e-mail address is not valid, since the bounces appear as genuine "unknown-recipiant" bounces from your ISP. OK so it won`t stop it completely especially if you are unfortunately listed in any e-mail directories, but it will reduce the amount, and of course the cr*p never even reaches your Inbox since it`s bounced and deleted right off the server.

And it can be free, though it`s nice to send the creator a donation as appreciation for his hard work.

I believe it was Adam *LED-FX* who originally brought this tremendous program to my attention, but I might be wrong in which case sorry I forgot who you are
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Don\'t ever get SPAMARREST- heres why...

Free trial ain't even over and I want nothing more to do with them. Sure the filter works - it works too well. anything that can't do the hokey pokey and turn itself around to get oked by the filter is deleted: fun
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
. bye bye reciepts, PMs and CLIENTS ! Hello pi$$ed relatives,etc. The thing even POSES as me when it sends a rude return email telling the sender to prove themselves! Thus I get flamed or cold sholdered. If ONLY I could give them a virus as a thank you gift
mad.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

I opened an email account with Yahoo to use for forums, chats, etc. I use that addie for registering into sites. It has a decent spam proggie that basically detects bulk mailings and puts them into a bulk folder. I then use my secured account for personal/private emailing (friends, relatives,paypal, etc.)
I find this works for me and if I'm wary of starting communications with someone or entity, I use the yahoo name as a screening process. Best of all it's free.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just started using Maildoucher and it's really working out nicely. It comes with an extensive blacklist already, and it detects that stupid Klez thing that I get dozens of a day and flags it for deletion too. And it won't delete until you tell it to. So if you're on a mailing list you enjoy and Mailwasher flags it as spam, you can just mark it as "Friend" and not worry about that again. Plus, when Mailwasher does intercept spam, it can send back a "Invalid address" type of header to the source ISP, which might get you taken off a few mailing lists after awhile. Virus mail simply gets deleted, not bounced. Spam that isn't in its blacklist can be bounced AND added to the blacklist in one fell swoop, so the same spammer can't bombard you with 40 emails from the same address in an hour's time like what thost stupid inkjet cartridge outfits do.

So far, Mailwasher is making the grade, and making it in a big way.