Flashlights and the bell curve

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Anyone who is familiar with statistics knows about the bell curve and deviations from the norm (mean). Probably most people have something about them that is way outside of the norm....really tall, short, rich, owns a lot of flashlights, barbie dolls etc. I've seen a lot of pictures here of flashlight collections that show behavior way outside the norm (own a lot more flashlights than the "normal" person). What I want to know is are there other things about the members here that are significantly different from the norm. I have 3 things that set me apart from most other people I meet: I'm a vegetarian (almost vegan), I'm an agnostic/atheist, and I'm a flashaholic. How about you?
Aslo just as an aside...how many flashlights do you think a "normal" person owns?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac. Sometimes I lie awake at night thinking is there a dog?! LOL

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
I am a Flashaholic, I eat cheese doodles for breakfast, I think Santa Claus is the devil, and I have never seen an episode of Macguyver.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I'd guess that a "normal" person owns one or maybe two flashlights. Probably one of those cheap plastic "D" cell things.

If I could afford it, I'd have high-end stereo stuff. As is, Mid-Fi is my price range. . . I sort of fall into the audiofile category.

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
I was chatting to a friend last night - swapping updates on his in car hifi which has now crossed the £1000 mark and my blades and brights (distinctly more but I've been into it for longer). We agreed that the rule as someone once said is: "it's a hobby therefore it's expensive" doesn't matter what !

He went on to tell me his car audio dealer was recently given the commission: "if it was your car, what would you put in it ? do that, money's no object" so he's doing a GBP £70,000 (no, that's not a typo) installation for his client and has already been asked to do the second car !

Nah, we're not weird :)

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I would say the average person owns around 2-3 flashlights, but they usually have dead cells and cost less than $5 each and are around 5-10 years old as well.

About myself... I have always been a collector as long as I can remember. I currently have a pretty impressive Nintendo (NES) collection that most people on this site would be very impressed by. It was the thing I was into before I knew about how sweet flashlights could be.
I also have never had a single bite of any kind of seafood, which some people find quite odd.

amanichen

Enlightened
I think you mean "demographic" rather than bell curve.

Flashlights are used by a wide variety of demographics. It's kind of like asking who uses electricity, drives cars, and eats using silverware. CPF's memebership, while diverse, probably doesn't represent the full range of demographics who own flashlights.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have 9 bicycles. I'm not sure. I try not to count.

I drink about 5 alcoholic drinks a year.

I'm single and like it that way.

batman

Enlightened
I eat glue.

I used to be a fanatic about Amateur Radio before the internet, but that's about it.