Surefire knurling tearing up your pocket? Tame it like this!

Arkayne

Enlightened
I EDC my Surefire A2 and it doesn't play well with others who share the same front pocket because the knurling is just wicked! My keys, car alarm remote, wallet, and even my cell phone have been victimized by the HAIII. I mentioned this in another thread and bwaites recommended using rubberized coating. Not only should this minimize the A2 from scratching everything it touches, it should also make it comfortable to hold in cold conditions and generally more 'grippy' as well. I figured I should give it a shot!

PICT0066.jpg

I bought the coating from Walmart for a few bucks and used a small paintbrush to apply. I used acetone to clean the brush after each coat.

PICT0067.jpg

Remove the clip by unscrewing the head. Screw the head back on so you have something to hold to when brushing on the goo.

PICT0069.jpg

This is the first coat drying. They recommend 30 minutes between coats but since the layer is so thin it took only 10. Use this in a well ventilated area because it's potent! I got the best results by brushing from head to tail. I tried to paint in one circular stroke by keeping the brush still and spinning the body but it started to look like a candy cane. It dries very quickly so you have to work fast. Otherwise, the paint will start to clump up.

PICT0071.jpg

This is what 3 coats look like with 5 hours of dry time. I can rub that knurling on plastic without scratching it now. It feels just like those Bic pens with the rubber coating on it.

PICT0065.jpg

Can you remove it once it's dry? ABSOLUTELY! I only put 1 coat on the tailcap knurling and this is what it looks like when you peel it off. You really have to scratch away at an edge to break it free but once you get it, it'll peel off in one piece. The knurling gives the coating an ideal surface to grab onto.

I like it and I'm going to use it! If you were to take a close look you can tell that it's been brushed on. I'd rather have a smooth factory finish so, pending free time, I'm going to experiment with different ways to apply the coating. I think I can thin out the coating and spray it with an airbrush. I'll even disassemble the light and tailcap assembly, mask off the insides, and dip the body and tailcap. Standby for more!

Last edited:

supes

Enlightened
That looks very cool. I love the fact that you can peel it off easy if need be.

I just cringe when I have 2 Surefire's or 2 lights with tough kurling grinding against each other. I'm going to try this stuff, looks good and easy.

God, I need an A2......

RobbW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I'm going to try that out on my A2. I wouldn't have even considered it if the dip weren't removeable. Nice report.

Arkayne

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
arkayne,
Any updates? Hows this coming along?

I've been tied up helping with the wedding planning (5 months left until the day!) and didn't get a chance to mess with it. However, I'm going to make an effort tonight!

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
Did you find the Plasti-Dip in the hardware section of Wal-Mart? I couldn't seem to find it.

Thanks!
Laura

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
LauraQ said:
Did you find the Plasti-Dip in the hardware section of Wal-Mart? I couldn't seem to find it.

Thanks!
Laura

I have always gotten mine at Home Depot, Have used it for years to coat custom battery packs for RC cars.

Arkayne

Enlightened
LauraQ said:

Thanks!
Laura

Ahh, you are from San Diego too! I went to the Walmart on Clairemont and found it in the Automotive section of all places *shrug*. I actually bought it a year ago for a sound dampening project. You can buy that stuff from any Home Depot or Lowes.

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
on my infinity i just smoothed the head knurling with sandpaper
i can see why this is not the best option on a surefire though ;)

Robban

Enlightened
Does anyone know how toxic this might be? I've thought about using this type of product to build up a thick layer to protect my teeth when mouth holding a light :p

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
Robban said:
Does anyone know how toxic this might be? I've thought about using this type of product to build up a thick layer to protect my teeth when mouth holding a light :p
regardless of you probably getting cancer from the solvents, i bet it won't hold 2 seconds ;)
i'd rather put a piece of rubber tube around the light (from an old bike tire or something)

T4R06

Enlightened
Robban said:

instead, why dont you use a cap and clip your surefire. thats pretty safe.

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
not to steal the thread, but you can get get used inner tubes (for free usually) from any bicycle shop that works great. Cut it to length and then wash vigorously to remove the slick talcum-like powder. Works great - easily removable/replaceable. I use them to place on my spotting scope tripod handles to give me a good grip on the line in the hot, humid summer,and insulate against the cold in the fall/winter

mahoney

Enlightened
Heat shrink tubing also works well to protect your teeth (and other things) from a knurled flashlight.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
FiftyCalAl said:
do they make heat shrink that is that large of a diameter? where would you get it?
umm i think you might be able to get it from a auto store in the electric wiring department. or an electritrition place :shrug: