Help me pick...narrowed it down...

TB383

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to get a new flashlight coming up for christmas. Anyways i have been doing my research and am starting to narrow it down to a couple. I will be using this light for all around use. I go camping alot, working on vehicles, hiking in dark, power outages, fishing.......just all around. I plan on using this light for along time, so i need long run time, be bright, be tough and rugged. Anyways, i dont mind getting specialized batteries off the internet somewhere as well. Here are some of the lights i was looking at. Price range of around 30-40 dollars. I have had a maglite 3c for awhile now, and just wanting to get something that will be better than it. Thanks

-Fenix L2T

-Inova X5 or X0?

-Streamlight Propoly 3c or 4AA?

Anyways if yall can think of a light that is better suited for my application than the ones listed let me know as well. Pretty much looking for the best all around light for 30-40 bucks.

Thanks again

Last edited:

gdhumphreys

Newly Enlightened
Hello TB383,

Welcome to CPF.

I do not have experience with the Inovas or the Streamlights, but I do own the Fenix L2T, and I really like it. It is fairly small (smaller than a MiniMag 2AA), bright, and feels very well built. I like that it has the low mode (which is actually plenty bright when it is dark out) for the longer runtimes and a much brighter high mode, if needed. Also, I like the tail clickie for on and off and the way it changes from low to bright with a simple turn of the head.

My intent when I bought it was to put it in my truck, so I will end up putting the Eneloop AAs in it, as it may sit for a couple of months at a time without being used.

I have been using the Fenix as my Every Day Carry for the past couple of weeks, but my JetBeam-I MKII arrived at lunchtime today, so it will be my new EDC (that is until the Fenix P1D-CE arrives).

Good Luck,

Greg

TB383

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the reply and welcome...... just learning more and more about these lights. Do you think that the fenix will be way better than the maglite i have??

Its awesome how they are able to pack such a powerful light in such a small package, it does not have to be so bulky like the maglite i have now......

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for the cree version of the L2T, THAT will be one hell of a light!:rock: :)

gdhumphreys

Newly Enlightened
TB383 said:
Do you think that the fenix will be way better than the maglite i have??

Well, I have a Mini Mag (not and LED, though), and I like the Fenix L2T quite a bit better. It is smaller, feels better built to me, is substantially brighter, has a low and high option, is fully regulated, and to me has a much more pleasing beam.

I do not think you would be disappointed with this light, and if you get it from the Fenix Store, you have 30 days to send it back if you do not like it.

TB383

Newly Enlightened
do yall think that the fenix will be a brighter and bigger light than the 3c maglite?? I just trying to imagine a light that is 75% smaller producing more light??

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:naughty: I think any of the light's you listed would serve you well. And hey, if you hang around
here long enough you'll probably buy em all anyway..........................

TB383

Newly Enlightened
looks that way......just want to make sure the one i pick will be better than the mag......

Newuser01

Enlightened
-Fenix L2T = $45 , uses AA, 55 LMs. 2 levels. Cant comment on this as I dont have one. but lots of praises on this forum about this light.

-Inova X5 or X0? Cant comment on this as I dont have one.

-Streamlight Propoly 3c
[I recommand this.] = >-Streamlight Propoly 4AA - Great lights. I have a 4 AA version, set up with 8 Nimh batteries and a charger. Long run time. Lights up like no other (to me as This is the best light I have.). Life time warranty . Cheap to feed. You can get this for about 25 clams + shipping if you look around. Fox international is the name I've seen on this forum mentioned.
Dorcy super 1 watt (CR123) about 20 clams from target. Less light than 4AA SLPP but still Good light. Expensive batteries. you will have to buy bulk online and get them for about a buck each.
You can also drop in a 3 Cell MAG/led upgrade from target for about 20 bucks and it will be a major transformation. I would look into that before buying more lights. May be you wont have to. (edit) check here!! https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/143806

Noob.

PS. Any1 of these are better than 3CMAG, bytheway.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB383 said:
what is that? cree?

Basically, a new type of LED, gives you a much brighter ligth and increased battery life. Fenix has just released their first Cree-light, P1D CE, cant miss the threads here, the longest one.

TB383

Newly Enlightened
I really like the looks of the fenix over the streamlight. Just still researching around. And yes you are right i appreciate the replys....keep em coming. Anyways i guess its a toss up between the fenix and streamlight. Anyone out there have both that can coment between the two??

Also, with either of these lights, am i able to upgrade batteries in the future to say some rechargable ones or something else??

TB383

Newly Enlightened
thats cool....... something that may happen in the future.....well i think i am just going to bitethe bullet and get the fenix! Any last words of advice before i buy it, or where i should get it from?? So this fenix is more than half the size and will blow the mag thats 3x as big out of the water?? If so, thats just awesome. Anyways let me know a good place to buy from. Thanks again.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
From the Fenix Store (click the link).

Based on my P1, I HIGHLY recommend Fenix!!!

I do not think you would be disappointed with this light, and if you get it from the Fenix Store, you have 30 days to send it back if you do not like it.[/QUOTE]

Duff72

Newly Enlightened
streamlight pro poly 4aa gets my vote batteries anywhere-warranty excellent-runtime very good

TB383

Newly Enlightened
sounds good......what does everyone think about the lighthound.com website...... if i order from there does warranty and everything else work...

Niteowl

Enlightened
lighthound.com is highly recommended. He's an established forum member as is fenix-store.com. I have ordered from both and will again.

TB383

Newly Enlightened
alright well going to be buying tommarrow from one of the two....anyways what batteries should i go with??