L0-Ti's are here - comments...

FsTop

Enlightened
Well mine appeared today, and a very pretty little thing it is. I'm going to put on my hyper-critical hat for these comments, so don't get too excitable. In no particular sequence...

- The machining is a quality piece of work. The threads feel fairly gritty, but will lap into shape after a few hundred more twists.

- Fenix could certainly have done a better job of lubricating the threads, as they appeared to be dry out of the (cardboard) box. Lubrication is particularly important for new titanium, as it tends to gall and seize if run dry. Use a tiny drop of oil on the threads, and clean and re-oil them in a while after the threads wear in...

- As had been reported on earlier Fenixes (Fenices?), the installed o-ring was pretty tight, and the supplied spare was thinner. I swapped the two, but it didn't lighten the twist much.

- It looks larger than it is. Next to my ARC AAA it looks huge, but is actually only about 1/8" longer and 1mm fatter. Most of the difference in length is actually the spring in the base of the tube. In the hand, it is a nice-feeling package.

- IMHO, the knurling needs to be extended from just the front half of the head to the rear half of the head as well, to make it feel more intuitive when twisting. The whole head should feel like a unit, since you have to move it as one. The current smooth round center section is deceptive - it feels like part of the body, not the head, so you have to learn to use your second finger to twist with.

- I could do nicely without the candle-stand tail. It just makes the tube feel longer in the pocket, and is not very stable anyway, since the base is so small. Any time you use it in candle mode, you will prop it up with something anyway, for stability or aiming. For me, I'd prefer a simple centered loop attachment, as on the ARC AAA.

- The bead-blasting on mine is not perfect. The head is ever-so-slightly lighter in tint and differently-textured than the body tube - as if the head and tube were not bead-blasted as a matched pair.

- The beam is excellent. I compared it to an original ARC AAA Premium, and it was laughable how far these things have come in a few short years.
The ARC center beam was somewhere between Low and Medium on the Fenix in brightness, but the quality of the bright-white Fenix beam was excellent - no green-and-purple mottling, and much smoother drop-off to the spill-beam. The spill-beam on the Fenix is wider, is much brighter than the ARC, and isn't purple.

- I also compared it to a custom Luxeon 1-Watt AAA-sized Luxeon Star keychain light from two years ago - a D'Mo Special. The beam of the Fenix on Medium was slightly dimmer than the D'Mo, but the Fenix High beam made the D'Mo look like a M*glite. The Fenix had a much brighter spill beam than the D'Mo - with the D'Mo, to read a menu, you had to hold the light by your ear, to spread the focused center-beam wide enough. With the Fenix, you can hold it up close to the menu, and the spill illuminates the whole menu quite readably.

- High beam is very bright for this size light - considerably brighter and throwier than the D'Mo 1-watt Luxeon. The spill beam is bright enough to be quite useful - much more so than the Luxeon with optic.

- No rings became apparent in the beam during an extensive wall-hunt, and I was able to find the wall easily every time, as long as my eyes were open.

- I don't much care for the multi-twist control sequence, but I can see why they did it. I'd strongly prefer just a continuous twist sequence for Low-Med-Hi.

- Strobe mode is a slightly slow strobe, but could be useful for visibility.

- SOS mode is so slow it is useless; no-one will ever recognize it as Morse, since the L0-Ti stretches it out to sloooooow motion. The whole ooo000ooo sequence is supposed to be about 3-4 seconds long - this light takes more like 12 seconds, with a 10-second pause between repeats. This is an SOS from someone unfamiliar with Morse code, who is on the verge of death. Simply said, it's an offal (sic) implementation by someone unfamiliar with the concept.

So, overall, the L0-Ti is a keeper, although I'd be interested in a CRE conversion, for a 90-Lumen "new-star" mode.

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
- The anodizing on mine is not perfect. The head is ever-so-slightly lighter in tint and smoother-textured than the body tube.

Double take...Record scratch:huh2:

JimmyB

Enlightened
Thanks for taking the time to review your light. I'm confused about which one you have though. Do you have one of the limited run of titanium lights? They're anodized? I thought they were just going to be SE's. Maybe you are talking about the L0D? Maybe I'm
sick2.gif

FsTop

Enlightened
I'm describing an L0-Ti, from the recent CPF drawing.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's anodized - one anodizes titanium for the same reasons as aluminum - to give it a harder surface and/or to color it.

frisco

Enlightened
Very accurate review!

The only thing I can NitPick is the thread smoothness. Lube and Lap!

I like it.... very nice tool!

frisco

havand

Enlightened
Plus, doesn't titanium corrode like crazy if its near chlorine? Or am I talking crazy again?

LA OZ

Enlightened
hehe, I tried the SOS on my P1D CE and at one stage I thought the light stop working. There is a long pause between the already slow SOS code.

FsTop

Enlightened
Here's a summary why Ti gets anodized. http://www.danco.net/PDF-DOWNLOADS/ADVANTAGES(10).pdf

I believe that the "...characteristic gray color of Type 2 anodized titanium..." that he mentions is what I'm seeing on the L0-Ti. Unanodized Ti just looks like a slightly dark silvery metal - similar to nickel.

It's easy enough to remove if it's an issue, but why?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
London Lad said:
So is this definitely anodized ? I hope not!

I am with you on that.
Why anyone would want to anodize over a beautifully machined Ti body is beyond me.
And yes......I read the PDF file above. All that tells me is that the author has never been fortunate in handling a 'real' Ti light.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
These L0-Ti's are not anodized they are bead blast finish bare titanium :)

Mac

x2x3x2

Banned
it would be a shame if they anodize coated the titanium.. it would be like covering up the natural beauty of the material. titanium is already that much more durable n corrosion resistant, y would they do that?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacclel said:
These L0-Ti's are not anodized they are bead blast finish bare titanium :)

Mac

Yep. They are not annodized. As Mac observed, it's a bead blasted finish.
Just like my Ti Luminox :D
115289178-M.jpg

FsTop

Enlightened
OK - then the bead-blasted finish on the head and body of mine don't quite match - as if they weren't bead-blasted as a pair, but as separate components, with different angles of bead-spray.

Original post corrected.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they are making it into the hands of CPFers cool stuff. I hope the creevolution does not take the shine away from what seems to be an excellent little AAA light.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
FsTop said:
OK - then the bead-blasted finish on the head and body of mine don't quite match - as if they weren't bead-blasted as a pair, but as separate components, with different angles of bead-spray.

Original post corrected.

The matching issue is due to the body and head being created by different pieces / lots of Titanium stock. If your going for all out matching of body parts they *all* need to be machined out of the same piece of stock, if not you end up with different shades of color.

Mac

FsTop

Enlightened
As to the color, it's a trivial-enough issue that I'm not at all concerned - you would have to be looking hard to notice the difference in color, and some of what I'm seeing may actually just be the difference in reflected light from the cylindrical head and the flats on the tube. There is definitely a slight difference in the texture of the two surfaces, and this is probably a difference between batches of Ti or different bead-tumbling sessions, as others point out. I've sent a question to Fenix to confirm whether it is anodized or not.

I used the light outside last night - it's a Very nice beam - the halo is smooth and even, and plenty bright enough to go for a woods-walk with the light on Low or Medium.

It's a very nice light - I don't mind the slightly increased bulk over my modified ARC AAA's, and I'm pretty sensitive to the size of pocket-carried items. The more I use it, the better I like it...

Last edited: