2D Maglite Mod

Slug502

Newly Enlightened
If someone could help me out. Im looking for a quick and easy 2d maglite mod.

Slug502

Newly Enlightened
Well didnt really understand what the F**k you said. And if you called me a "Noob" everyones a Noob at one point in time so dont hate...

Newuser01

Enlightened
Slug502 said:
Well didnt really understand what the F**k you said. And if you called me a "Noob" everyones a Noob at one point in time so dont hate...

No....no... Noob is my sig? Sorry you misunderstood.

Check here! for a great price!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/143806
[edit] added this to explain more. "MAG LED 2 cell 3 watt drop in" is what you are looking for at the store. Package will look like a replacement bulb. Check here for what this look like. here and Reviews.

Please ask if you need more info on these. [/edit]

Noob.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. And attacking someone's signature because you're new is not really an excuse.

You're looking for a quick and easy mod right?
What are you capable of doing? That would help determine what would be easy for you. On the other hand, Noob's recommendation of replacing the stock bulb with an LED module is as easy as changing the bulb in the light.

If your ill-mannered response was just a mistake due to a lack of reading comprehension, then Welcome to CPF!

Slug502 said:

Slug502

Newly Enlightened
well most of the time signature is broke up by a line so didnt know it was his signature but that all in the past now.... Im capable just about anything not to good on small circut boards but i dont think that will be the case on flashlights

Newuser01

Enlightened

Slug502

Newly Enlightened
Yeah im problay just going to do the 3wat dropin its easy and the flashlight isnt for me so that works. But I do have one of my own and I wanted to mod it but dont know what to do... can someone help out with ideas of what I could do+

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you want to do with it?
You might try the ROP High using 6AA NiMH batteries with a Fivemega holder, replacing the bulb with the high power bulb from the Pelican Big D Rechargeable 3850, and then replacing the reflector and lens. Doesn't require any skills other than replacing parts, you should be able to probably do that.

Slug502 said:
I wanted to mod it but dont know what to do... can someone help out with ideas of what I could do+

Raybo

Enlightened
Slug502 said:
Yeah im problay just going to do the 3wat dropin its easy and the flashlight isnt for me so that works. But I do have one of my own and I wanted to mod it but dont know what to do... can someone help out with ideas of what I could do+

How about a 1274?

I have all the "stuff" you will need, PM me if you are interested.

Ray

Slug502

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
What do you want to do with it?
You might try the ROP High using 6AA NiMH batteries with a Fivemega holder, replacing the bulb with the high power bulb from the Pelican Big D Rechargeable 3850, and then replacing the reflector and lens. Doesn't require any skills other than replacing parts, you should be able to probably do that.

Sounds good. I have no purpose with the light I just like modding things. I didnt even know that people moded flashlights untill a couple of days ago so now here i am.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/129093
Welcome to CPF. Hold on to your wallet if you hang around. There's plenty to buy.
Oh, forgot to add this site: my favorite for flashlight reviews and comparisons.

www.flashlightreviews.com You'll find a review for the mag LED upgrade bulbs in there too. For the 2D mag I like the 5 cell stock bulb on 6 NIMH batteries. No need to change the reflector and lens. Just get the battery carrier. For LED upgrade I still stand by my SMJLED PR bulb. I once ran it continuously for 14 days and it was still giving off usable light. Though not nearly as bright as the 3 watt. The runtime is many times greater.

Last edited:

JimmyME

Newly Enlightened
What type of output (estimated in lumens) would the following upgrade to the 2D Mag provide?

6aa NIMH Fivemega holder
3854 Pelican bulb

I'm assuming 100+ lumens? Is this upgrade worth the $50-$60 investment compared to what can be bought new?

Thanks

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not finished yet, you'll also need to replace the reflector and the lens if you're going to use the 24 watt bulb in the 3854 pack. You should be able to use the stock reflector and lens with the 11 watt bulb in that pack for short periods without much damage

JimmyME said:
I'm assuming 100+ lumens? Is this upgrade worth the $50-$60 investment compared to what can be bought new?

Thanks

bxstylez

Enlightened
more like 1,150 lumens when running 7aa high-quality nimh's using pelican 3854 hi-bulb

check out the following links, which should guide u into building this beast, as well as explain why each part is necessary, and etc...
http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114375

JimmyME said:
What type of output (estimated in lumens) would the following upgrade to the 2D Mag provide?

6aa NIMH Fivemega holder
3854 Pelican bulb

Thanks