EOS optic mod and waterproofness

OceanView

Enlightened
Greetings. I'm new to CPF and never really considered actually tinkering with any of my lights until now. However, I'm intrigued by this mod I've recently run across for the PT EOS--swapping the optic for a reflector. I get the impression that this is now a "classic" mod for the EOS.

I don't have an EOS and don't want to buy one to mod without asking this question first. I've searched but couldn't find an answer. Does getting rid of the optic mean getting rid of the front lens and permanently exposing the inside to the elements? Or does the optic sit behind a clear lens? I want the EOS to remain as water resistant as possible. Thanks for any info.

thezman

Enlightened
The optic is behind the glued in lens. Replacing the optic will not compromise the water resistance of the light. Loosing the big o-ring at the back of the light might let a little water in though. :grin2:

OceanView

Enlightened
Thank you for the speedy reply. I hadn't thought of the o-ring. I'll need to think more about this venture. :thinking: If I want a decent, floody and reliably waterproof headlamp, maybe I should just get the PT Quad instead of trying to mod an Eos. :shrug: We'll see. Thanks again.

thezman

Enlightened
The o-ring comment was kind of a joke. :naughty:

The design of the EOS is a clam shell type, where the back opens up to change the batteries. This area is sealed with the o-ring and modding the reflector won't effect this seal any more than just changing out the batteries would.

Any light that opens like this will have a similar method of sealing the two halves.

I would rate this lights water resistance as very good, and I wouldn't hesitate using it in a severe downpour, but I wouldn't use it as a dive light. :grin2:

OceanView

Enlightened
modding the reflector won't effect this seal any more than just changing out the batteries would

Ahhhh, by "loosing" you meant "losing" the o-ring. I was thinking "loosening" the o-ring seal. Gotcha. :)

Again, I've never handled an Eos, only read about the mod, but I was thinking that once you drill out/break the plastic pins to get at the optic, the two halves of the case wouldn't press down as hard on the o-ring anymore. From your comment, I guess those pins don't play any part in keeping the two outer halves together. Good to know.

But the PT Quad is still a very tempting headlamp for me, though. *sigh* I guess CPF is already rubbing off on me--maybe I just have to buy BOTH! :rock:

thezman

Enlightened
Yup, my bad. :ohgeez: Tooooo many ooooo's. :laughing:
I'm glad you figured out what I meant.

You are correct about the pins. All they do is hold the electronics in place. As long as the electronics are pushed back into their original position, the case will close correctly.

Good luck with your decision..

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
they are rated to 1m ... my quad went through my washing machine and was bone dry with NO damage @ all

OceanView

Enlightened
Utidcapaco, you're corrupting me, too! Thanks for the link to that other thread. Very informative thread, but now it's giving me even more ideas for headlamps to buy! Fortunately, you were able to take advantage of the recent Quad and Eos sale prices. :twothumbs

I didn't realize that the River Rock gets such high marks from some CPFers, or that it is AKA the Streamlight Enduro, so that seems like a good value-for-money one to look at.

The Nuwai HLX-712L is also very intriguing. I had not been aware of it before. The multiple levels, battery condition indicator, current regulation, good water resistance, and use of 2xCR123a's are an interesting combination. In general, I would prefer AA/AAA, but this Nuwai seems like a great headlight. A bit pricier than the range I was looking at, but definitely a good looking headlamp.

*sigh* So many choices. Well, I'm thinking probably a Quad is the best choice for me since I want something on the floody side. But I still think doing this Eos mod would be a cool first try at modding a light. Has anyone ever posted before-and-after beamshots of the Eos with the reflector mod? I'm just curious how much more useful the spill gets.

Thanks, all, for the input.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
OceanView said:
Utidcapaco, you're corrupting me, too! Thanks for the link to that other thread. Very informative thread, but now it's giving me even more ideas for headlamps to buy! Fortunately, you were able to take advantage of the recent Quad and Eos sale prices. :twothumbs

I didn't realize that the River Rock gets such high marks from some CPFers, or that it is AKA the Streamlight Enduro, so that seems like a good value-for-money one to look at.

The Nuwai HLX-712L is also very intriguing. I had not been aware of it before. The multiple levels, battery condition indicator, current regulation, good water resistance, and use of 2xCR123a's are an interesting combination. In general, I would prefer AA/AAA, but this Nuwai seems like a great headlight. A bit pricier than the range I was looking at, but definitely a good looking headlamp.

*sigh* So many choices. Well, I'm thinking probably a Quad is the best choice for me since I want something on the floody side. But I still think doing this Eos mod would be a cool first try at modding a light. Has anyone ever posted before-and-after beamshots of the Eos with the reflector mod? I'm just curious how much more useful the spill gets.

Thanks, all, for the input.

i have an extra nuwai, pm me if interested.

and the stock eos has very little flood. it needs a reflector to be useful imo.

utidcapaco

Newly Enlightened
OceanView said:
Fortunately, you were able to take advantage of the recent Quad and Eos sale prices.
happy14.gif
OceanView, I suspect if you're patient, they'll both go on sale again before too long. Froogle.com is helpful for finding the lowest prices, as is MySimon.com. Watch this forum, too. I think that's where I saw both of my sales mentioned. Good luck with whatever you decide!
dedhorse.gif

OceanView

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm sort of kicking myself for missing the sale price on a Quad at REI. I should just go ahead and get the Eos at REI-Outlet before that's gone, too.

Thanks for the offer, Pumaman. I think the Nuwai is more of a wishlist kind of thing, but it sounds like a good headlamp. How do you like yours?

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a great headlamp, but i don't use it now that i have this
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143202

but the battery level indicator is very nice, feels good to know about how much light you have left.

OceanView said:
Yeah, I'm sort of kicking myself for missing the sale price on a Quad at REI. I should just go ahead and get the Eos at REI-Outlet before that's gone, too.

Thanks for the offer, Pumaman. I think the Nuwai is more of a wishlist kind of thing, but it sounds like a good headlamp. How do you like yours?

Rudi

Enlightened
I use my EOS headlamp mostly for close and medium distances.
I glued a UCL-LDF diffusing lens to the front for a beautifully smooth semi flood beam.

OceanView

Enlightened
I glued a UCL-LDF diffusing lens to the front for a beautifully smooth semi flood beam

Actually, this mod sounds nice, too, although I guess you don't quite get the same geeky DIY satsifaction as cracking apart the Eos to do a reflector mod. :) I don't really care if I lose the hotspot, so the quality of light sounds nice with this trick.

Just curious, but does the LDF actually noticeably widen the spill from its stock area of illumination? Or does it more just smooth out what's there originally? Overall light transmitted should be the same as stock, shouldn't it, just softer?

Thanks for the additional idea, Rudi. :thumbsup:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
OceanView said:
Actually, this mod sounds nice, too, although I guess you don't quite get the same geeky DIY satsifaction as cracking apart the Eos to do a reflector mod. :) I don't really care if I lose the hotspot, so the quality of light sounds nice with this trick.

Just curious, but does the LDF actually noticeably widen the spill from its stock area of illumination? Or does it more just smooth out what's there originally? Overall light transmitted should be the same as stock, shouldn't it, just softer?

Thanks for the additional idea, Rudi. :thumbsup:

the $2.50 HDS diffuser(lighthound.com) fits in the window of the eos nicely, but it really kills the throw. you would need to open the eos.

and i would let that nuwai go for $26.00 shipped.:naughty:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally bought a PT EOS. My first impression is, it's a very nice light. Light weight and a good amount of brightness. The tint is also to my liking.
I will be using the unit as a close up light and there is where this light is a bit weak. A bit to much of a hot spot.
I would like to remove the optics for more flood and maybe install a 17mm reflector as I have read some other people have done.
How do I get to the optics? I tried prying the battery pack out but it seems as if it may break. Do the two small dots need to be drilled out?
Help?

fishx65

Enlightened
I have the same ? as Sunspot. Also, how much throw do you give up with this mod and where to purchase the 17mm?