Sick and sorry...

ICUDoc

Enlightened
This is just a de-stress thread so don't take it too seriously.
I have the chickenpox and boy does it make you crook!
Two days in bed and a rash that really has to be seen to be believed- there ain't nowhere safe (including down the throat!!!!)
What's worse I've had to take a lot of time off work which is a major major issue for me (and my colleagues).
I'm taking antivirals, anti-inflammatories, anti-acids, anti-pyretics, anti-histamines and if I can't get rid of this itch soon, anti-depressants.

My wife has been fabulous as usual, and today I am better- (good enough to sit up and type) but guess what she said last night?

"I know you've been really sick because you haven't touched a torch in 36 hours".

LOL-great line I thought. So I got her to go and grab my Aleph 19/ Cree 917/Ti top-and-bottom... I feel better now.
Anyhow, thanks for listening! Enjoy this great hobby and lovely forum-Thanks.

Mad1

Enlightened
May I ask how old you are?

It's quite unusual for someone old to get chicken pox, you usually get it during childhood.

Hope you get better soon, keep tight hold of that Aleph. :D

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hang in there, Dave! I caught it in 1969 in Vietnam and was medivac'd to the USS Sanctuary and put in an isolation room for almost a week. I hope you are spared shingles later in life. I've had a couple mild bouts. (Home from work with intestinal flu today. :rant: )

Larry

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
UCUDoc and Larry,

I pray you both get to feeling better real soon.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yuck, were you vaccinated and then you still came down with them, or were you just never exposed before? I hope you get better soon!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Thanks Mad1- I am 38- yes it is unusual to get the POX as an adult- I just managed to avoid getting it as a youngster. Sadly, it is well-described that the older you get, the worse the virus acts.
Thanks for your response! Have a great day.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father caught it after I got it as a little child. He was in his 50s and it really knocked him for a loop. They aren't kidding when they say it gets worse with age.

Last edited:

Oculus Sinister

Newly Enlightened
Wow you got a nasty case, I got CP in 4th grade, I guess the younger the better. The hardest part has got to be the not working and knowing your powerless to make it go away any faster.

Get well soon

Tim

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I got mono from kissing a little girl in 4th grade. :sssh:

I was out of school for 2 weeks. It was the only 2 weeks I ever missed. That should have taught me to stay away from girls.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICUDoc, I'm glad you're feeling better. I got the chickenpox when I was 25, a comparatively relatively mild case compared to yours. What I don't understand is why didn't I catch it as a child when it made the school rounds several times?

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Bogus1- never vaccinated, but exposed a few times, including a VERY messy exposure at work a few months ago- I thought I must have been previously exposed not to get it back then! Mum and Dad couldn't remember!
Good question, geepondy, and my ID friends don't have a good answer for us. It is very infectious, but why it doesn't get everyone who is exposed is not clear.
LifeNRA: was the kiss worth it?????

CAN I JUST SAY that all your comments and well-wishes have made me feel really good- thanks and God bless.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
hopefully the next generation will be spared it due to the vaccinations. My kids have had them and so far so good. Course, that hasn't stopped everyone in the family including me from catching cold this week and trudging around in an ornery drippy haze...

Hang in there, hope you feel better soon!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
LifeNRA:DOH, DOH, DOH!!!
James S: Well said- vaccination is a BIG contributor to society's wellbeing these days, and the Chickenpox vaccine works well, so Go to it! I say to all the young'uns.
(I just gave it to my Mum as well, as tests showed she is non-immune).
Thanks to you and PhotonWrangler.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shingles ain't fun. A good reason to have your children immunized so they don't suffer shingles later in life. My wife described it as red hot needles in your neck and scalp.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I had chicken pox when I was 28 (caught it off my much younger brother). I was sick as a dog for a week, fevered and hallucinating, and of course covered in painful blisters, which I still have the scars from. My Mum worked in a nursing home and several people actually died from it at the time. Definitely the worst illness I ever had - imagine your worst flu and multiply it by 5.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I hope you get better soon. I guess for whatever reason we (as in ARKY's) get them as kids. I recall my son's private care giver (as compared to a Day Care service) calling me to let me know 2 of the 6 kids she took care of were showing signs of CP and wanted us to remove Eric or let her "take care of it" I opted to let her take care of it as her game plan sounded good. "I take the whole bunch and at nap time I let them sleep on my bed instead of their pallets that way they all get it at the same time" sounded good to me and the wife not super happy (we just got one kid so we is a bit careful of him) agreed and they all got CP in a couple days and lived. Measles almost took me and my older sister out in 1967 we laughed at the time, got to stay home different people mom and the Colonel knew would "drop in" every couple hours (I guess to see if we were dead yet) I never saw so many strangers crying asking me if I need anything. My sister and I would take turns "pretending" to be dead or near death. Fact is we were burning up at 103 to 105 and laughing are bottoms off cuz we were kids that had no clue. Ha I shared more with total strangers than with most folks that know me in person. Sorry about that.

Topper:ohgeez:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Wolfen- thanks mate.Yeah shingles is really sore- before effective drug therapies were available people used to knock themselves off to be rid of the pain.
Topper- i hear you: as kids we just don't appreciate what M and D go through for / with us. Thanks for the story.
gadgetnerd- You know how it feels. There is nothing like being crook to make you appreciate being well so I am looking forward to tomorrow or the next day. I hope I always remember this though, so I can offer appropriate care and empathy to my patients

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember much about my chicken pox. I was really young, I probably missed some school, and I had at least one baking soda bath. That's about it. I don't even remember itching.