new mini mag Q/C issue?

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
I just bought myself a new mini mag last night got it for 9.88$ at the home depot on from 16.99$ :) so I am rather happy in that respect but I have been playing with it tonite and it seems the thread on the head is very sloppy and I looked inside and I can see where parts of the body are not anodized very well :thumbsdow I was just wondering if another mini mag owner could check out the head and see if it moves side to side when in the spot mode? c'mon all you guy's must have a old mini mag in you're glove box or the nite stand lol :whistle:
Thanks I am unsure if this is normal or not I am pretty sure it is not normal but I have not used a mini mag in a month or so since I lost my old one that one had a very solid feel to it and I dont recall it having a sloppy head btw this is one of the new mags not led but in the pack with the spare lenses the thing so it wont roll of the table batterys and the holster thanks

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is a problem with it, why don't you just take it back to the store and get another one? These lights have been in production for over 20 years now and are pretty consistent. There are some areas that should not be anodized as they are needed for electrical conductivity (tailcap and barrel, not the head though.)

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if there is a problem with it or not but it seems as if there is lol. That is why I was wondering if somebody would take a look at theirs for me. I simply just dont want to go threw the hassle of returning it explaining what is wrong then to get another that is the same way thanks

Nomad

Enlightened
bwaites said:
All MiniMag heads wobble some. I tighten mine up by placing teflon tape on the threads.

Bill

That's a great tip! I'll be using that since I do have a couple of mini-mags I take to work (a hotwire and one using the nite ize 3 LED module) and the wobbly heads always annoy the heck out of me.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I have a couple Garrity lights that you can turn the head to focus ... but the threads are loose so I use a few turns of teflone tape to add some resistance so it stays where I adjust it to.

I bought a regular 2AA Minimag last spring (a copper one at Target). It seemed a tad lighter than the black one I bought 20 years ago but quality seemed fine. :shrug:

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
Yep the quality is fine I guess I have never noticed it before lol I am giving it to my mom for christmas (hopefully with a nite ize led upgrade) anyways cause I just bought my self a 2-aa led mag. That thing blows the old incan mini away in every respect :) The only negative thing I have to say is it seems to lack in the throw department and it blinds me in the middle of the night when I drop the tv remote under the bed and grab the flashlight to find it :ohgeez:I seem to be catching the flashlight bug I have bought 3 new lights this month and I am planning a few more over the next month or so mayby a surefire g2/6p with the p-61 bulb upgrade+ A case of those lithium battery's and a 3c streamlight twin-task for longer term lighting/camping ohh there are so many nice lights out there and I have so little mony :laughing:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a relatively new mini mag and the head also has the same "wobble issue" It affects the beam quite a bit but I dont care to much as I am going to mod it when I get a chance.