Aleph A3 XR-E

cryhavok

Enlightened
Hey all,

Some of you may know that I build LE's for Alephs. Well, I am happy to report my first EXTREMELY successful test of an Cree XR-E Aleph LE.:grin2:

As of late, I've been watching the plethora of threads about the XR-E and have been trying to find out as much info as I can before I start building. I think the general consensus is the MCPCB has pretty bad thermal relief and should be avoided for any application over, say, 600mA. As a urban flashoholic :sssh: I always try to squeeze the maximum out of every light (meaning no less than 1a :naughty:). So I've come to the conclusion that the best way to mount a Cree is epoxying the bare emitter directly to a heatsink.

I have a bare aluminum A3/1xcr123 light that I don't use much (I also have a chrome A3/1xcr123/NG1000/UXOJ) and I chose it for the host. The XR-E I'm using is a P4 WH from esramus and it is driven with a NG1000.

To build the LE, I made a pedestal out of copper and epoxied the emitter directly to this, which I epoxied to the E-screw. The pedestal is the same shape as the bottom central contact pad, so it should provide good thermal relief. The contact pad raises the Cree LED so that the base of the aluminum ring around the die is just about the same height as the lip of the E-screw. I soldered the leads to the bottom pads and put a small coat of epoxy on the top pads so I could put the LED inside the reflector as much as it will go. This reduces the amount of reflector I have to grind away as well as makes the hole the LED goes into stay small. Looking at McGizmo's A3 he modded, the gap between the aluminum ring of the XR-E and the opening of the reflector is halved by this method, which looks much better IMO. Plus, I barely had to remove any of the reflector to get a good focus. Right now, the beam is awesome, but there may be some more lux to be gained from sanding the reflector more...I'm not sure.

So what does this all amount to? Well the brightest (in terms of Lux@1 meter) LuxIII light I ever made/have is a NG1000/UXOJ in my A3. The UXOJ was hand picked out of about 10 for brightness. That light makes about 6500 lux@1 meter. The Cree light makes 9900 lux @ 1 meter through a very, very dirty window. With some cleaning, I'm sure the lux will jump to over the coveted 10k. Plus, the spill is about twice as bright as the UXOJ.

The tint from the WH bin is spectacular. It is very very white/neutral to my eyes. Slightly on the warm side, which I think is a good thing. I EDC a UVOJ/A1/FluPIC and the WH tint makes the UVOJ, which I thought was the whitest LED I own, look a little on the red side. The A3 has a trim tailcap with McE2S switch, and the level on low is ~500 lux@1 meter. This makes the light extremely useful and the levels seem to be nicely spaced out.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with this light and I may end up transplanting the guts into my Chrome A3. I may start offering to build these LE's in addition to my Luxeon's, but they take a much longer time to build.

Last edited:

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE !!

I have been wanting to do the A3 cree mod, you beat me to it!!! :twak:

Sad to say tho, this thread is useless without pics :p

ICUDoc

Enlightened
cryhavok

Excellent!
Any pics forthcoming?-I have some parts itching to be involved in this!
What driver are you using?

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
Yes Yes I'll try to get some pics by Saturday. :)

I'm using a NG1000 converter.

I've been playing with the light and it is incredible! I may just end up putting a Cree in both my A1 and chrome A3:grin2::grin2:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!!

Just Got My Aleph 3 From a CPFer
I wonder If It will throw Farther than my DB1500 UW0J Aleph 3?
Cant Wait For the Pictures!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
cryhavok
A Nexgen will not be regulating the current through the LED will it?
I thought that the low Vfs of the Crees (in general) will let more than an amp through, as the NG has no "buck" function? I may be wrong, of course.
That is why I'm interested as I use a similar setup in one LE but worry about thermal degradation.
Bright as all get-out though!!!!

photorob

Enlightened
If you try to put a cree into an aleph 1 you are going to have to raise it to about the same spot as the modded eleph 3. Personally I think that a luxeon has a much better beam profile in the 27mm. I think that the reflector used in the aleph 1 was a copy of a reflector in a pelican flashlight. The beam is perfect with a luxeon.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Very nice - sounds like exactly the type of L.E that I'm looking for.
Its hard to get such perfect tints as you describe.
I hope you'll be able to produce more like this - I'll want to be in the queue. :)

jtice

Flashaholic
Sounds nice, wheres the pics !!!??? :D

I have a few A3 heads I need to build also, and have wanted to put a Cree in one,
I have just not had the time to figure any of it out :(
I may have to send you one of my heads to build if you want to offer this service ;)

~John

cryhavok

Enlightened
Here is a pic of the XR-E in the A3 reflector

P1010021.jpg

P1010023.jpg

I got a chance to play with this light last night. This light is soo bright and with the warmer tint the color rendition is excellent. I can light up things that I never was able to touch with the luxIII A3 before.

I may offer a service to upgrade A3's to the XR-E version, doing a complete conversion. You would send me your A3 and I will send you back an A3 XR-E :D with grinded down reflector. I figure price will be about $125 or so for a full conversion. I'm not going to take a build queue, but is anyone interested in a service like this? I'd like to see how much interest there is...

mspeterson

Enlightened
I'm definately interested! I assume this is easily reversable?- (I have an extra reflector, could I send just that?)
Thanks!

cryhavok

Enlightened
Just wanted to do a little update.

When I first did the mod, I filed off the reflector until I got a nice doughnutless beam at about 3 feet from the wall. As with the LuxIII, there is a doughnut present at close ranges (12" or less). Tonight, I filed off a tiny bit more of the reflector to mirror the doughnut you get with the LuxIII at close distances and did this until the doughnut disappeared at about the same distance from the wall.

Just took a Lux reading and the light now measures 880 Lux @ 1 meter on low and 12,660 lux @ 1 meter on high!:rock::rock::rock: This light is like the gift that keeps on giving!

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am interested in heat management at 1amp to led with A3. Would you do a bounce with lightmeter in a smallish room and see if there is any appreciable drop in lightmeter reading in say 5 minutes after turning light on?

Bill

Tritium

Enlightened
cryhavok said:
Just wanted to do a little update.

When I first did the mod, I filed off the reflector until I got a nice doughnutless beam at about 3 feet from the wall. As with the LuxIII, there is a doughnut present at close ranges (12" or less). Tonight, I filed off a tiny bit more of the reflector to mirror the doughnut you get with the LuxIII at close distances and did this until the doughnut disappeared at about the same distance from the wall.

Just took a Lux reading and the light now measures 880 Lux @ 1 meter on low and 12,660 lux @ 1 meter on high!:rock::rock::rock: This light is like the gift that keeps on giving!

So what is the final height of the reflector after modification ?

Thurmond