Gladius LED emit high pitch sound???

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone notice gladius LED light emit low volume high frequency sound ? I just found out today when I was using the light when my ears were just within 1-2 feet of the flashlight. It sounds light high pitch electrical noise.

Is my gladius defective ? or Am I just delusional? :grin2:

darb505

Newly Enlightened
My Gladius, SN 18xxx, emits that sound as well, but it's barely audible and doesn't concern me.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Mine has a faint, high pitch sound when on the brighter levels. It has to be within a foot of my ear to be noticeable. On lower light levels, I can't detect it.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a well-known "issue" present in many lights. Don't worry, it'll fade away as you get older! :laughing:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
That's a well-known "issue" present in many lights. Don't worry, it'll fade away as you get older! :laughing:

Ok. you are saying that ears won't detect the sound when I get to be 90 right? :grin2:

Why does the LED light emit high pitch sound? I am curious. :popcorn::popcorn::naughty:

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
My gladius doesn't make any buzz when I pressed it up to my ear.

My HDS U85 is another story.

Jeff

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
picard said:
Does anyone notice gladius LED light emit low volume high frequency sound ? I just found out today when I was using the light when my ears were just within 1-2 feet of the flashlight. It sounds light high pitch electrical noise.

Is my gladius defective ? or Am I just delusional?
grinser2.gif

Your light is not defective, and you are not delusional, either. What you are hearing is most likely the ringing of the inductor in the DC regulation circuit.

Derek

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that's the inductor. If you want a really noisy example, try a Streamlight Argo HP - and that's a headlight, so it's only a few inches away from the ears!

It is very common for people to lose high-frequency hearing first, worsening with age. This has been used to drive adolescent hooligans away from a high-class middle-aged-customer store, and also as a cell phone ringtone only audible to teens, and not teachers, along with other uses. YMMV, of course.