Who has the trashiest home laboratory?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Not really a contest, but after seeing a couple of remarks to Tater Rocket's home laboratory, I decided to start this.

Post your pictures here. Show me the bad. Show me the ugly. Show me the bug spray and the empty Chef Boy Ar Dee cans. Show me those test instruments and bags of LEDs and loose batteries scattered helter-skelter. Bonus points for soldering iron burns in furniture that isn't yours, blobs of solder fused into formica, tangled strands of Christmas lights you never bothered to take down, and for mouldy or broken coffee cups you never bothered to throw in the dishwasher or garbage can.

wtl1.jpg

wtl2.jpg

Can anyone out-do this?
wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmmm...well my room was messy but the other day I got a bug to clean it so I did, give me a week and a half though and it should be messy again.

As for my workspace
grin.gif
I have claimed the space just in front of the TV in the family room...no not so I could watch TV when I work, because there's a window mounted air conditioner right by it--excellent ventilation.

It's nowhere close to Craigs as far as trashy, but yesterday my mom did say "How long do we have to look at this monstrosity"

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone out-do this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm afraid my Lab area is clean as a whistle (almost). Everything is boxed/shelved/drawered, the desk is clear, and the floor is empty. (yea, yea, I know... just what kind of flashaholic am I anyway!) You'll just find the occasional flashlight undergoing testing hanging around once in a while and a few stray half-used batteries, but that's about it.

We like to keep the place neat and tidy... you know that Ben Franklin motto "a place for everything and everything in it's place". Plus it keeps her from realizing just how many flashlights I have.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I'll have to drag out everything for a "group photo" this weekend...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Can't compare to the Master, but here's mine!

mess.jpg

The black and red thing on the left is the construction paper light shield over the runtime test area! Currently has a LW4000 hiding under it. If you look close, you can see the end of the LW4000 sticking out.

mess2.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
It would very hard to beat, so long as a certain pink light is so prominently displayed in the bottom pic.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Chris M is probably in contention for this, especially if he makes his Merferator LS mod and tosses it somewhere in one of the pictures.
wink.gif

If I remember, he even beat my Toylet in the first offbeat mod competition that was held, because he devised all kinds of asinine accessories for the thing.
grin.gif

DonL

Enlightened
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
It would very hard to beat, so long as a certain pink light is so prominently displayed in the bottom pic.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you saying that little pink toilet-looking thing is really a light?
confused.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here`s my setup. Several key features (including my wonderfully up-to-date cutting edge equipment) are highlighted....

To the left:
mylab2.jpg

To the right:
mylab.jpg

grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got to say - so glad you`re feeling better Craig - had me really worried at the start, reading that thread of yours.

Now:
Chris M is probably in contention for this, especially if he makes his Merferator LS mod and tosses it somewhere in one of the pictures.

Aaah yes, the amazing Merferator Lite, aka the "Unsurefire" and its amazing array of accessories. I think it deserves its own topic since the original thread featuring it in all its glory was deleted (I`m glad we can`t delete threads any more).

Give me a while to dig out the photos, they may be on a Zip disc someplace if they`re not still on the server, and I`ll be back after dinner....

wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Roy:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can see some bonus points in there for all the wires everywhere and for the huge pile(s) of paperwork. The roll of strapping tape in the red dispenser is a nice touch. Everyone ought to have one of those.
smile.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Chris M.:
Here`s my setup. Several key features (including my wonderfully up-to-date cutting edge equipment) are highlighted....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uh oh... I guess I'd better do a tight shot or two to highlight certain "features".
My photo editor is broken (Fatal Error 36) so I won't be able to caption it.
tongue.gif

trash1.jpg

Highlights: Almost-empty toliet roll, Pyrex radio strain insolator, uranium glass marble (under the polariod pic on kb), polaroid I found on the ground and sent pictures of to Found Magazine (I don't know why I haven't thrown it out YET!), Arc-LS prototype, patch from 9-11 memorial quilt, a Glo-Toob, bag of LEDs, roll of strapping tape in red dispenser, bug spray, Budweiser beer lite with naked reflector bulb in the ill-fitting socket, Expedition 1900 LE, loose batteries rolling everywhere, brand new shipment from Countycomm.com, and coffee in a disposable cup.

trash2.jpg

Highlights: Aitec 3-C Collimator light, Inretec Super 6, remains of this morning's breakfast (a $3 carton of cottage cheese & a plastic spoon), Surefire M3, Meterman light meter, LED-backlit keyboard, telephone with tangled cord & orange & green neon bulbs in it, Eternalight Rave'n, more loose batteries, and a Docter Aspherilux.

trash3.jpg

Highlights: The Toylet LS mod, HeNe laser tube, another rogue bag of LEDs, old broken down laptop (useful mainly as a notepad), small o'scope, plastic cup with vintage LEDs in it, jar of Wyler's, monitor for my Commodore 64 computer, more loose batteries, tons of wires and mardi gras beads hanging from an instrument tripod.

trash4.jpg

Highlights: Power supply unit, vintage 1970s, power supply, vintage 1980s, Nixie tube voltmeter, vintage 1950s, Fluke DMM, probably 1990s, Tektronix digital photometer, cira 1970s, 99¢ thrift store diet scale for weighing flashlights, Jonathan's rainbow pride bike light mod, Surefire KL3 head, paper bowl used for counting/sorting LEDs, Kingbright LED sample pack that Jahn Projects sent from the UK (the orange thing above the photometer), California CD152 telephone insulator, and yet more loose batteries. The blue cord belongs to the spectrometer I can't show.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Roy:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can see some bonus points in there for all the wires everywhere and for the huge pile(s) of paperwork. The roll of strapping tape in the red dispenser is a nice touch. Everyone ought to have one of those.
smile.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Personally......I like the picture of Reba (mouse pad??) on the desk.....not to mention the little baggie of joints hanging above the light switch.
grin.gif
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by DonL:
Are you saying that little pink toilet-looking thing is really a light?
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup, and a bright one too. It uses a high-dome amber LS, and emits this urine-colored light when the flush handle is depressed.

toylet52.jpg

toylet56.jpg

smile.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
icon15.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, no! I stole the battery from it to remind myself why I don`t like Pal flashlights, and ran it flat when I switched the horrid little thing to "blink" instead of "off" then tossed it back in the drawer, forgetting to take the battery back out....
rolleyes.gif

And I`m a fire alarm engineer too- oh, the shame
shocked.gif

One of these days I`ll scavenge a proper optical detector and a nice big fire bell out of the scrap bin at work and cobble the two together with a backed-up mains power supply- that`ll stop me from forever stealing the 9 volt batteries out of those cheap domestic alarms.

Nice pics Craig! BTW I used Windows Paint to annotate my images, I use it quite a lot for simple graphics, cropping, etc.

Oh- and the orange box`o`leds- actually it was me who got you that one as a thank-you for letting me have a loan of your green laser, and Jahn sent it on for me cos he`s nice like that.

Merferator-Lite pictures on the way once I`m done sorting the photos for the latest review I`m working on
wink.gif