IT LIVES!!! KL1-R head on L1 Lumamax - Successful mod!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was able to make good out of a bad situation. Messing around with my KL1-R head today I blew the board. I dont' know how but the board is dead. Anyhow, I thought I'd take a crack at getting the KL1-R head on my L1. I just had to use the positive nipple assembly and Negative contact ring off the stock L1 head in the KL1-R head. I had a heck of a time getting it to light, but after a while - bingo! I don't want to take it apart to show how I did it because 1) I don't want to risk not being able to get it working again and 2) it isn't pretty. Needless to say it works great. That Mcr20 reflector is just awesome. I love it! Heres' some pictars:
l1mod002qy4.jpg

l1mod001vp4.jpg

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you do your own reflector mod? If so, what did you use, where'd you get it, and how did you get the head apart?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the Mcr20 reflector from the shoppe. User grnamin has a whole thread on the mod. I used rubber strap wrenches and heat to get the head open.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet, thanks. How close would you say this is to a Milkyspit L1 mod? I know he upgrades the emitter too, but how's the beam with the McR20?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hijack your thread, but how would you rate the process of the upgrade? Do you just crack open the head, drop the optic, and in with the reflector? Where does the lens come from?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam with the Mcr20 is fantastic. I don't know how, but it throws like crazy. TIGHT hotspot but with very nice spill.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the stock lens thats' in there. Basically your taking two heads - KL1 and L1 - and making one head, so keep in mind your LOSING your stock L1 head. I don't know how to rate it but on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being diabollicaly insanely hard, I'd give it a 4-5.

SCblur

Enlightened
Sweet! Nice save on the KL-1, and a good looking light. Is that a tailstand ring on the back?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
I use the stock lens thats' in there. Basically your taking two heads - KL1 and L1 - and making one head, so keep in mind your LOSING your stock L1 head. I don't know how to rate it but on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being diabollicaly insanely hard, I'd give it a 4-5.

Okay, so suppose I didn't have the E1L. With that as the case, I could not mod my L1 to a reflector-version with just a McR20 for parts? What parts do I snag from the KL1?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
No the front part of the stock L1 bezel isn't long enough. Neither is the heatsink section. You need a whole KL1 head (with the driver board removed) and the parts from the L1 mentioned above.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
Sweet! Nice save on the KL-1, and a good looking light. Is that a tailstand ring on the back?

Yup, its one of those Delrin things nekoname is selling in custom BST.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice two lights for the sake of one. However, if I ever smoke my KL1, I'll know what to do! ;)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I just have to get another KL1 head (and tailcap) for the black E1e body I have coming. All black HA of course!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. I've followed your exploits Kdog3! ;) I have an E1L that I like but know I'd LOVE if it too had a McR20. The optic on the KL1 is just too limiting for my use.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got my KL1 apart and I'm planning on a reflector mod. My question is, since I have it apart, is now a good time to put a Cree in it? Has anyone done this? What type of emitter is it?