running lithium aa's in mag led

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
I am just wondering what is the big deal with lithium or rechargeble batterys in the led mini mags I have always run energizer lithium aa's in my incan mini come winter as they seem to fare a bit better in the cold, But the packaging clearly states not to with the led light. Any particular reason for this I have read most of these threads and it seems rechargables are fine as long as you dont take them right off the charger into the light. I really do need to be running the lithiums cause it is mighty cold and the alkaline batterys die rather quick Thanks

I try'd to do a search but I keep getting a error message something abought memory and fatal? lol

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
The minimagled uses a simple voltage boosting circuit. It takes the input voltage (3vdc) and increases it by multiplying it by some preset amount. It does not have current sensing and regulating ability like some of the better circuits. If you use two Energizer lithium primary which are 1.9 vdc each for a total of 3.8vdc and multiply that by the same preset multiplier as was used for the previous number, you'll end up with a much higher output voltage. I'm not certain if they don't want this to happen because it's too much power for the LED, or if it will destroy the circuit itself (possible). If you use rechargable lithium ion batteries, which are almost 4 volts each, you'll most certainly smoke the circuit in no time.

That's my thinking about why they would say not to use other batteries--because this is a simple voltage boosting formula based on alkaline batteries. I'm pretty sure if you look around here(some of the long minimag led threads back when they first came out) you'll find someone who has used every kind of batteries and tested the limits.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the energizer site and I found some technical data on the e2 lithium and it states 1.5 volts. http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf I am going to pick up some and see how the led mini mag fairs running the lithiums I'll try and put together a runtime chart not that I have any fancy measuring equiptment but I can see how long till I run out of usable light :laughing:

ginaz

Enlightened
1.5 volts is the "nominal" voltage, just as the nominal voltage for a NIMH is 1.2v but they come off the charger at around 1.45v or so. i've never seen a lithium at 1.9v though.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L91/L92 lithiums are more like 1.6 volts under moderate load -- they're above that only very briefly at the beginning of the discharge period. I suspect that some manufacturers warn against using lithium cells because a lot of people don't realize that there are different chemistries and might end up plopping some 3.7 volt cells in. There might be a heating problem during sustained discharge, though, since the cells stay around 1.5 - 1.6 volts for nearly the whole discharge period. NiMH cells will be around 1.2 or so, and alkalines below 1.2 for most of the discharge period at that load.

c_c

Skibane

Enlightened
The MAG instructions also warn against using rechargeable batteries - which we all know is a crock o' crap...

Turbo_E

Enlightened
Skibane said:
The MAG instructions also warn against using rechargeable batteries - which we all know is a crock o' crap...

actually i used energizer nimh in my 2c mag. instaflashed the bulb.