so my car got broken into

mccavazos

Enlightened
So tonight, sometime between 9 and 11, some scum-bag broke into my dad's truck, which I was driving at the time and stole just about everything in it. This included my bag, which had my DS lite, 6 games, my beloved propoly, E2L with UW0J, modded green laser, my graphing calculator, checkbook, and several other things, totaling about $1K. They took this along with my Dad's work bag which had all of his on-call stuff in it, and they totally destroyed the driver side window and dash. This is just ridiculous, I can't believe that there are people in this world that are capable of something like this. I had to drive 40 miles with no window, no gloves, and only a light jacket. It took me along time to save enough money to buy this stuff, and in one swoop, its all gone. Even though losing this stuff is going to be financially difficult, the fact that it was my Dad's truck that he was letting me borrow is what really gets me. It will take some time, but I can replace what was stolen of mine, but these cowardly lowlifes have caused me to betray my father's trust. Just a word to all you CPF'ers, lock your car, park in a well-lit lot, don't leave anything of value in the car. Whats worse was that when we called the police, they told us that it would be 4 hrs before a squad car could be sent out, IF they could spare one. Man, life can really blow at times...

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad's truck. My friend's Mom's car was stolen 10 days ago while she was at work. I hate thieves and I know it's wrong but I hope something really bad happens to them. :xyxgun:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Mate I'm really sorry to hear that- it's the impotent rage and helplesness that is so tough. These people are a&*^holes and I hope they get what they deserve. You have my sympathy.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
mccavazos said:
Whats worse was that when we called the police, they told us that it would be 4 hrs before a squad car could be sent out, IF they could spare one. Man, life can really blow at times...
Your lucky to even get a cop to come out. Where I live you can either file a report by going to the station or on the internet, and that report is only used for insurance purposes as they don't bother to investigate property crimes.

We pay all these taxes and yet the few times we actually need public service it's considered a low priority due to staffing shortages. It's low-lifes like the one that broke into your father's truck who drain the system by relying on social services rather than actually working; that and selling off the stuff he stole from the truck to finance his drug habit.

swampgator

Enlightened
mccavazos said:
It will take some time, but I can replace what was stolen of mine, but these cowardly lowlifes have caused me to betray my father's trust.

I don't see how you father's trust in you will be damaged. Things like this happen. Could've happened to the vehicle when he was driving it. It didn't. Now if you were in an area of town he wouldn't approve of, doing things he wouldn't approve of, then maybe he wouldn't trust you. But just parking his vehicle and then it gets broken into, nah, he should understand.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
mccavazos,

We are living in strange times indeed, it's only going to get worse from now on.

Some practical things I can think of - don't attract attention to yourself or your car, drive an average, beat up car, whatever is average for your area.

Why break into 2000 Ford Taurus if there is a 2005 Nissan Maxima parked next to you.

I gave up on car audio stuff a long time ago.

It's not safe anywhere.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry to hear that as well. Many of us, myself included know the feelings of rage and being violated when some scum sucking b__stard breaks into your car. I wish the US and certain other countries had Singaporean type laws for that type of behavior.

EDIT: Original post deleted as wrong thread.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
I know how it feels. I've had a pickup stolen from the house, and a few auto break-ins. Last break in was Nov. 2004, and to make matters worse it was the work truck, not my own. Many tools, a coin counter and even a pair of BluBlockers. They left some expensive items, so it was pick and choose or they were scared off. My neighbors car was broken into less than six months ago.

It's real bad to read about the lost lights. I won't keep a light in the vehicle for just this reason. I usually have three on my person though.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry that happened to you. I have no tolerance or mercy for thieves.

As others have suggested in the past, I don't leave anything of value in the vehicle. I just have the OEM stereo and when I get home, I offload everything (backpack, etc) out of the truck. I got into this habit when I used to own a Jeep, for obvious reasons. I never took anything with me in it that I couldn't bring inside at my destination and it carried over to the pickup.

JM-99

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this pales in comparison to having a vehicle broken into, but I've been regularly getting my frozen pizzas stolen from the communal refrigerator on campus. I know it's just cheap pizzas, but the inconvenience and the same feeling of having been ripped off and being powerless to do anything really sucks :rant:

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
That really sucks. A few years ago, I had all my ham radio equipment and some other things stolen out of my car. First time in the 15 years that I've been driving. I can't stand low life people who do that. And how often do they get caught? Hardy ever. And the police don't give a crap, they have better things to do, so they think. I had the electrical connector for one of my ham radios that the person would have had to touch to unplug the radio. I'm 95% positive that there could have been good finger prints on the plastic. I brought it to the police and they didn't seem to excited about even trying to get a finger print off of it.
:xyxgun:

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
These kinds of experiences are a PITA.
My brother takes the zero option: never leaves anything of value in his car, and never locks it. Since he does this he hasn't had smashed windows, and only the towing cable was stolen a couple of times.

Kees

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
DoubleDutch said:
...and never locks it. Since he does this he hasn't had smashed windows, and only the towing cable was stolen a couple of times.

Kees
Do that in San Francisco and eventually you'll find someone sleeping in your car.

Latest posts