Noob help

andyman

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

My wife says I have a flashlight fetish glad to discover I'm not alone. :grin2:

I had given up on LED's for daytime work because they were not able to remove the shadow cast on an oil site gage that i check several times a day, I'm currently using a rechargeable C cell incan called a brightlight but after reading this site I'm wondering if the high end LED lights might work (all the non headlight ones I've used have been the multiple LED type with little or no lens.

I work overseas, live in another country a only get back to the US twice a year so I have to shop what is available were I'm at.
I've been looking at a Surefire but many of the places i work are remote and the 123 battery's would be hard to get.

I noticed that the local dive store has a pelican 2140 any opinions on weather this might work well in a daylight situation. I need to read an oil site gage 10 ft. off the ground that has a slight shroud around it and in the daylight there is always a shadow cast over it.

Help, thoughts or comments appreciated

Thanks

andyman

Newly Enlightened
Well that would do it.

I was hopping for something a little less exotic :)

iamerror

Enlightened
Greetings! I am not sure how bright the flashlights you have been using are, but maybe something like the Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon would work? It uses common batteries.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
andyman, you need to look at the throw numbers in this chart from flashlightreviews.com then find the review for that particular light to see if you can afford it or if it has acceptable batteries etc. Since it's mainly for daylight use, I'll suggest that you aim for an incandescent light because it's more 'contrasty' than LED light.

As a simple, cheap suggestion, a Thor 10 or 15 million CP spotlight will work very well however, it's very BIG and will be a PITA to carry arround.

Last edited:

andyman

Newly Enlightened
The light I've been using most is a 3 C cell nicad xenon or halogen by britelight.
I've tried various LED lights most without reflectors. The light from a LED light seems to blend in with sunlight (if that makes any sense).

My big stumbling block is what I can find localy (Middle east) or on breaks in Asia.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi andyman

Welcome to CPF
Many of the dealers will ship overseas so don't reserve yourself to only getting a light you can get from walking into a store for. Fenix and Jet beam do great 2 x AA LED lights which are good quality lights.

andyman

Newly Enlightened
Would you know of any dealers that ship overseas?
I've always had problems with it in the bast and my quick search just now found none