Cree UV + MiniMag 2AA Led

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I got a 2AA mini mag led, and decided to try using that deep stock reflector and the boosting circuit with a UV Cree 1W 7090 Xlamp.
10-5-06016.jpg

Since I was putting a big square LED into a smaller round depression, a bit of cutting was called for. I didn't want to have a huge gap between the thermal pad on the led and the heatsink and just stick it on like a few have done. So using a dremel, I removed material on the heatsink for the corners to fit
10-5-06022.jpg

Between the dremel and the arctic alumina, I've attempted to isolate the bottom eletrical contacts without removing too much precious heatsink.
10-5-06020.jpg

The retaining ring had to be cut too.
10-5-06019.jpg

I'm not a skilled enough photographer to get the beam to look like it does in real life. Up close against a white wall (ceiling because I don't have any white walls) there are some rings and a slightly offcentered donut hole. Walking around a dark room shining it around though, it looks better, and has some decent throw for a UV light.
10-5-06024.jpg

My wife turned off the lights for test, and now it looks like I will have bathroom cleaning duty tomorrow:ohgeez:

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
Simple question (I hope).
How does one remove the Led/curcuit/heatsink module
from the battery tube?

DK

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
I like it!

I like using UV lights, and I'm thinking about building up an Aleph or picking one up from the Shoppe. You're M@g might be a much more inexpensive option!

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
DK, removing the module for the first time can take a bit of force. Just remove the tailcap and batteries, and the head. Stand the light up so it looks like my 4th picture (except of course it will still be unmodded). It's a simple matter of pushing on either the led, or on the metal heatsink and driving it down the tube-thus seperating it from the black plastic retaining ring. Once it pops free, it'll fall out the end of the tube, and you can seperate the bits easy enough.

Lonely Raven, I also wanted the Aleph but it's simply too much money for me.

Kromatics, I don't have an inova to compare this to. As far as visible light goes, it is of course deceptively dim- especially with the lights in the room on. Turn the lights off and little things across the room start glowing.

I guess for comparison's sake, I can try and borrow back a maglite drop-in I got off ebay that uses 32 5mm UV leds.