search function does not work very well

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm doing something wrong. I wanted to find a thread I had started in one of the forums. I did a search for my screen name on that forum and it did not find the post. In fact, it looks like it missed a lot of my posts and replys. Upon manually going back (it was only a month ago) I was able to find the post so I know it was there. Anybody else have similar results? Trying doing a search using your name on a particular forum and see if it grabs all your posts.

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
InfoPop technology... This search is practically worthless... I'd give you some better points of reference but I am one of their competitors:)

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Umm, geepondy, the whole erasing your text thing....it's called overwrite. Hit your insert key to START overwriting your stuff, hit it again to stop. The default is to just insert the text, but when you accidentally hit the insert key when aiming for the delete, it turns on overwriting and it deletes the text in front of it to make way for the new stuff. Don't know any other reason it would be, so give that a try.

Spud

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'll admit I'm ignorant and naive on the matter but wouldn't a search engine be pretty straight forward to implement accurately? Even MS notepad handles it with ease.

Off subject from original post. Why is it that every so often when inserting text in a document, instead of pushing the previously written text forward as you add the text, it overwrites the previous text? It must be a windows thing because it's happened when posting here, when using Eudora email, MS word and occurs on various windows OS's. Usually closing and reopening the application fixes it. I've always wondered why this happens. I think I'll look for a suitable MS forum to post this question but I bet most of you have experienced this before.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by geepondy:
Trying doing a search using your name on a particular forum and see if it grabs all your posts.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The search doesn't look at screen names unless someone types it in the text; the search results come out better if you use the member number search option instead- (376 in your case).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The search doesn't look at screen names unless someone types it in the text; the search results come out better if you use the member number search option instead- (376 in your case).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I should have added, I then tried a word in the subject matter and it didn't find that either. Not trying to rip the BBS, I appreciate it. I'll try the member number next time.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah - insert key alright. That one`s caused me so much grief that I removed the keytop. Along with cap-lock and the Pop-Up-Menu key. Saves so much time in not having to go back and re-write a whole page because of an accidental clump of one of those.....

rolleyes.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wanna know another cool trick around here? Undo works...you can right click and it's there, or be like me and as soon as you screw something up impulsively dive for it's keyboard shortcut--Ctrl+Z

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by geepondy:
Off subject from original post. Why is it that every so often when inserting text in a document, instead of pushing the previously written text forward as you add the text, it overwrites the previous text?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Usually an easy fix. Press the key labelled "Insert" or "Inst" on your keyboard whenever this happens, and that should take care of that.
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for advice on using the insert key, I will do that next time it happens. But why does it happen in the first place? All I do is use the mouse to position the cursor to where I wish to start inserting text. I hit no other keys to signify overwrite.