Lost loves...have any?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two...one was a Honda 250XL...the other...well let me start at the begining.

1972...in high school...Omaha... I had been working at Burger King at night and a car wash during the days (summer months)...my goal in life was to buy a car (and rise through the ranks at the car wash from a $1.65 scrubber boy to $2.05 "gas attendant" (for you young guys out there...back then you didn`t even have to get out out of your car to get gas}. After a few years of saving hard I had $1200...basicly I was rich.

One day I was driving in one of the family cars...a station wagon. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted her...at the back of a used car lot...a green 1968 fastback Barracuda. I pulled in to take a look...4 speed...skinny tires...trailer hitch...not really that interesting. But as I revolved around her and made my way up to the front...stamped in the hood...it said "340". A lanky salesman decended upon me..."looking for something to pull a trailer"...umm...yea. How much is it? "Well it was traded in last night for a pickup...haven`t had a chance to clean it up...thats why it back here...the sales manager off today and I don`t know what he`s going to ask...but if your really interested I can try to call him at home. Well...it`s probably more than I have...but if you don`t mind I would like to know.

Well he came back from the office and told me it was $1500...low miles and all. I told him I only had $1200. He said they couldn`t take less than $1400. Well I called my dad and asked if he would loan me $200. And to my amazement he said OK...but with the condition that it would remain parked in the garage untill I had paid him back and bought insurance. I gave the saleman some money to hold the car and the next day my dad drove it home while I drove the wagon.

She sat in the garage for quite a while...I worked lovingly on her every night...I put headers on her...wide tires...a bigger carb...and several tons of wax.

Finally the day came when I had the insurance and was ready to hit the road. I noticed right away the she had the sweetest sound I had ever heard. So quite at idle...but... After a short trip to the gas station to fill her up with high-test I took her out to "dead mans lane". This was a remote long straight road where the kids at school came to run their cars. Being day I was all alone out there. I found that although she was sweet...at the center of her heart there was a storm...with a very bad attitude. She would scream to 75 mph before the tires would even sqeel, before they had any hope of grabbing...and finally stop around 85 at which point you were buried in the seat...and a second later you would be doing 140 and climbing (if you had the guts to take your eyes of the road and look at the speedo). But it was the sound she made that set her apart from others...like a chorus of angry bee`s backing up the devil on violin...really, really sweet, but mean as hell too. She seemed almost alive.

I went home and shook all night. That car scared me. But it was the begining of a deep love affair.

Her reputation at school soon grew...she was not normal. She and I were in many races...she never lost. She beat everything the kids had in school at that time. Had a bad time with a stock 454 Chevelle though...about the same. (Later this car was fixed up...way faster than my 340, but it didn`t sound as sweet)

There were a couple brothers at school...Randy and Doug...their father owened a junk yard. They were the cool kids...no one messed with these guy`s. They had great cars...a differant one about every couple months.

One day Randy showed up with a 426-Hemi Road Runner. It was the talk of the town. He kept looking at me...had me scared. I tried to leave school late...or early...I did not want to be caught leaveing the same time as him. But their was no way I could avoid the clash and one day on my way home I looked beside me...yep, there he was. He had three other guy`s in the car with him. I looked at my gas gauge...about 1/4 tank...I figured the Cuda was about as light as she could get and their were 4 rather heavy guy`s in the hemi. The odds were as good as they were going to get. I slowly took her up to 65mph...the tires would hold from there and she was well into her power band. I was shaking so bad...my foot would not stay on the gas. I normally waited for my oppenent to make the first move...but if I was to have any hope at all...I mashed it to the floor.

I could tell right away the proud little 340 had finally met something she could not beat. The small lead was quickly eaten up by that big block hemi. Even with the four guy`s in the car there was no hope. He was just overtaking me when...Randy missed a gear.

But it was very apparant that there were other cars out there that would beat the Cuda.

Soon the kids at school started fixing their cars up to the point where she could not compete. The years went by and the lady aged nicely. But her heart grew tired and her winnings got fewer and farther apart. The wide tires were replaced by radials, the rusted out headers were replaced by the original manifolds. But she proved to be just as good at simply traveling around as she had been at winning in her youth.

In 1980 I married a gal and sold her to a friend who had always wanted her. He parked it in his garage and began what would prove to be a many years long restoration. Around 1985 I retuned to Omaha and visited my friend. And there in his garadge was the Cuda...as proud as she had ever been. All rebuilt. It was winter and my friend refused to take me for a spin (salt on the roads). But he did start her. She was young again. And I fell in love all over.

I never saw my friend or the Cuda again. But I dream of her sometimes...I dream she`s just outside my door...waiting for me...and hoping to find a Corvette to to play with.

Ken

Saaby

Flashaholic
I havent had enough time to have a lost love yet--I don't even have my license quite yet (Ask again in 2 weeks)

I'm still driving the "wagon" (1993 Chrysler T&C minivan)

I'll let ya know though, okay
winkie.jpg

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
KIDS: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Just about the same story- only mine was a 72 Mercury Comet (same body style as a Ford Maverick) with a slightly modified "Boss" 302 engine- around 350 HP in a 2200 pound car. Top end around 156 mph, (and it could stay there for hours{because it had a low (numerically) rear end}. But it looked like some young mother's economy car.

There were more powerful cars in town, 427 chevys, 440 dodges, and one hot 390 Ford that were quicker in the quarter... But we have really curvy roads. No one could beat me on them. Probably the only production cars at the time that could beat me would have been a Z28 Camaro or a Firebird Trans Am, and no one local had one.

Once drove the 192 miles from Albuquerque to here in two hours and eight minutes -including the time it took me to change a blown out tire- (and at that time the last fifty miles of road was posted @ 35MPH).

I have often thought of finding another one of those Comets and fixing it up... It was a stealth car- fast as heck, great stock suspension (even if you did have to remove the shock tower to change the #6 spark plug), but it looked slow. I made a few bucks racing the occasional stranger that came through town and didn't know my reputation.... enough to keep me in tires anyway.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
When I saw the title of the thread, my mind went back to 1962 at the University of Texas and a green eyed red-headed Southern Bell that I fell in lust with. Then I discovered you guys are talking about CARS!

Oh well....thanks for the memory trip anyway!
grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Because my "long lost love" isn't a car or a person.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why does this statement scare the hell out of me?
shocked.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
It shouldn't. I guess I should have added "...and it's not a sheep or a goat or a dog either..."
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, you should have. I feel better now. Thank you.
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wait, I lied--after work tonight I can honestly say I love Jet Fuel racers (cars)

300 MPH in 1/4 mile? Ooooh Yeahhhh!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only cars? Or can this be some other piece of hardware one once had a pseudo affair with? Because my "long lost love" isn't a car or a person.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope...doesn`t have to be anything in particular...could be that great vaccum sweeper you loved so long ago. Or a powerfull fan. A great set of speakers. A boat.

I don`t think we should yack about girls though...never know when the wifes might glance at the screen. But if you are single...go for it folks.

Ken

CNC Dan

Enlightened
1984 MAZDA RX-7

Could have used more power (had the 12A engine), but handled better then the BMW Z3.

My favorite stunt to pull with that car was driveing home from Boston late at night. At the junction of RT 1 and RT 128 the exit ramp spirals in tighter and tighter. I get off the gas and coast in a about 45mph and just let the speed fall off to about 20. Sometimes I would get someone riding my *** as they like to go into the exit at 65mph. All I would do is stay at 45mph. As the exit turns tighter they have to slow down, I don't. sometimes they would try to keep up. Those ones end up on the grass.

BrightShadow

Newly Enlightened
My so called "lost love" is in fact a person. But I also lust over my cousin's rebuilt 'anoynomous' car. She can push that thing to it's best, and has room to spare. Racing every weekend, car shows every other weekend, that is what I call a perfect life. But life gives you the best it can.

Rosetta out.
winkie.jpg

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we're talking hardware, it's a Roland SH-101 mono-synth that was stolen out of a storage unit we rehearsed in. They knocked out the block wall (end unit) and came thru. took that and alot of other gear, then kept on knocking out other walls to get to the other units. Man, I used to be able to make that baby sing, did things that would make the technophiles shiver today.

There's another,a sweet gal that I hurt and lost, too painful to talk about. Bittersweet memories of life's ironies. No one to blame but myself.

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
Alright CNC Dan!

I used to race a 1982 RX7. Did everything I could with it. Rebuilt the engine myself w/ a rebuild kit. Roll cage. Racing Turbo kit. Aluminum flywheel. Everything... Including racing all summer all around Mexico from Baja to Belize (20,000 miles in 4 months and one summer...).

It ended up stolen and chopped in a chop shop in Milwaukee where it had arrived clean and fresh from California. I still have the license plate 15 years later:)