doritos wash ashore

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is interesting, i would have a field day here, any way there is a debate over the "right and or wrong" situation of people walking off the beach with garbage bags of the chips, never the less, its the carriers fault and i assume also his responsibility for the cargo. It was a storm that caused this to happen, lastly if they were all recovered they still could not be sold.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=115267&ran=146714

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'd say they're doing a community service by cleaning up the beach and being rewarded at the same time, they can't be sold and would probably end up a landfill anyway.
Norm

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm sure they were covered by insurance and see nothing wrong with scarfing them. There's no way the insurance company could recover all the bags of chips, though they may want to salvage the container?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid in rural Vermont, a tractor trailer tipped over, spilling a load of pickles in the deep snow. Many of the jars were not broken so I recall scarfing a couple of jars of vlassic pickles.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
geepondy said:
When I was a kid in rural Vermont, a tractor trailer tipped over, spilling a load of pickles in the deep snow. Many of the jars were not broken so I recall scarfing a couple of jars of vlassic pickles.
So you're a "pickle pilferer", eh?! Well admitting it is the first step towards recovery you know!! :D

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also agree with the clean up side of things. They cleaned up the beach and got a little reward. Now they just need a conatiner full of salsa to wash up on the beach too. :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It's not-cho cheese, it's not-cho cheese". :D

Since those bags float and wash up on the beach where people collect them there's little trashing of the ocean. The other benefit is the advertising. The story sticks in peoples minds and they may buy a bag the next time they hit the grocery store; it's the power of suggestion.

Ok, now I've got the munchies.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Many, many containers that are lost float around, mostly just under the water surface. These are extremely dangerous, especially for smaller vessels. At least this one is out of the way.

Certainly you can't blame people for taking the bags home, but all the same I don't think I would do it myself. I seems greedy in a way. In the Netherlands people used to build a fire on the beach to lure ships to the shallow waters (this was a looong time ago
rolleye11.gif
). Those were different times.

Kees

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
DoubleDutch said:
In the Netherlands people used to build a fire on the beach to lure ships to the shallow waters (this was a looong time ago
rolleye11.gif
). Those were different times.

Kees
I'm thinking it can work if the captain was a giant bug. How can that trick work?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Well, since they can no longer be sold anyway it's better that they be used by people who "appreciate" them rather than dumped in a landfill. All I know is I would have had a field day if that beach was by me. That looks like a lifetime supply there. Only downside is I would probably be 300 pounds and in a cardiac ward after a few years on a Doritos diet.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly, there was a town in Newfoundland long ago which rigged its lights to look similar to a nearby large port. Ships would wreck on the rocks and the population would pick them clean.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an old movie called, "Whisky Galore" (it's also a book by Compton MacKenize called, "A Tight Little Island") that deserves a look if you like this thread. Lots of fun -- to give you the idea, imagine a Scottish island where a ship with some 50,000 bottles of whisk(e)y has run aground.

There's a line from the movie that is worth quoting, too... "It's a well known fact that some men were born two drinks below par."