P1D CE first impressions

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P1D CE came today, and I'm really happy with it.

First off, it's super bright. I can only measure the brightness of the main beam and not the overall light output. But the main beam width is very similar to the standard P1, so the overall output should be in about the same proportion as the peak brightness.

On the high setting, I measured an initial brightness of 2814 lux at one meter. The brightness is the same when using either a 3.0 volt primary CR123A or a 3.7 volt RCR123A cell, and unlike nearly all other lights I have, it drops very little from the initial value. At 5 minutes with the RCR it was 2760 lux, and 2749 at a half hour. It's really flat, even with the RCR cell. My light meter is of unknown accuracy, but it's good for comparing lights. Some other lights I've measured -- all one meter lux values 5 minutes after turn on:

Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon: 3185
Blimp (fifthunit) : 2487
Vinet (fifthunit) : 2094
P1 (3.7 V RCR) : 1658
P1 (3.0 V CR) : 1120

So it's brighter than the Blimp and nearly as bright as the ProPoly, and has a much broader beam than either. The brightness relative to the Blimp gets more pronounced as time elapses after turn-on, since the Blimp fades and the P1D CE doesn't. With a 3.0 V primary cell, it's more than twice as bright as my P1, in which I had modified the focus to maximize throw. At just about the end of the RCR discharge time, the ProPoly output has dropped to just about the level of the P1D CE.

When you put a 3.7 V rechargeable cell in a standard P1, it's a lot brighter than with a 3.0 V primary cell, but the output drops steadily to about 70% of the initial value by the end of the discharge time. In the P1D CE, the brightness is the same for the two cell types, and it's nearly dead flat (when on high) for the whole discharge period. I haven't done a run time test yet with a primary cell, but with a Battery Station RCR123A, it runs about 40 minutes on high and goes out abruptly. As other folks have noted, the medium and low settings don't operate normally when using a 3.7 V cell. On the medium setting it starts out nearly as bright as on high, but drops with time, reaching 50% of the 5 minute brightness at a little over an hour and a half. It continues putting out useful light for more than an additional half hour. I haven't done a run test on low with an RCR, or any run tests yet with a primary cell.

I see the dark ring people have been talking about, but in shining it around the back yard, I'm not aware of it unless I'm looking for it. If I shine the main beam just to the side of a light colored object, then slowly move the main beam farther away so the dark ring passes across the object, I don't see any perceptible darkening of the object as it goes by. So the ring isn't really as dark as it looks. I don't find it to be a distraction or other problem.

The P1D CE is a little longer than the P1, and a little larger in diameter. The rear of the body is the same diameter but the head flares out a little. It still goes easily in a pocket and weighs just an ounce and a half with battery. It comes with and fits in the same holster.

They've changed the mounting of the LED carrier slug -- it's not screwed in like in the P1, so we shouldn't have the problem with erratic contact that occurred in the P1. There's also a spring at the tail end, which accounts for some of the extra length.

I discovered that the light sometimes came on when I pushed it into the holster. Fortunately, it's obvious with the stock holster design. Pressing on the front of the light will turn it on unless the head is unscrewed a fair amount past the point where the light goes off. But you do reach a point where no amount of pressing will turn it on.

It's not the perfect light, but I wasn't expecting it to be. But in my opinion it's a great value and a true pocket rocket that I'm going to enjoy immensely.

Kudos to foursevens and Fenix-Store for their great job in getting these in and out so fast and efficiently. Also to Fenix for giving us another great light at a reasonable price. And doing it first.

c_c

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another great and detailed review ....... by c_c

Thank you for taking the time to report on it .

We ALL appreciate detail ..... that's what the forum is all about !

............... TMG/*

taschenlampe

Enlightened
Thank you very much! :goodjob:

I would be very much interested in a lux measure from the main beam on further distance (five meter or more) from the P1D CE, the
SL PP 4AA and the P1.

I assume at one meter the direct emitted light from the led (not reflected from the reflector) is still very strong and falsifies the result.

Tom

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
taschenlampe said:
Thank you very much! :goodjob:

I would be very much interested in a lux measure from the main beam on further distance (five meter or more) from the P1D CE, the
SL PP 4AA and the P1.

I assume at one meter the direct emitted light from the led (not reflected from the reflector) is still very strong and falsifies the result.

Tom

I hadn't thought of that possibility. The measurements were actually made at 3.3 meters and converted to lux at one meter, so hopefully this effect isn't very pronounced at that distance. I've found it difficult to make good measurements at about one meter with lights having a tight beam because of the size of the lux meter window and difficulty in locating the brightest spot. On a few occasions I've checked the measurements of wider beam lights at my two convenient measuring distances of 48" (about 1.2 m) and 130" (about 3.3 m) and they correlate well. But I'll do some measurements tonight with the P1D CE at a few different distances and see if there's any appreciable deviation from the expected square law relationship.

c_c

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Claimed output of the ProPoly 4AA Luxeon is 40 Lumens. P1D CE is 135 Lumens. I've read a number of posts about the ProPoly being bright but I've also heard it has a very tight hot spot. The Propoly listed 'Throw' and 'Overall' Lumens listed at FlashlightReviews is only slightly less than a Gladius on throw and quite a lot less on Overall - which I know is a real throw monster for an LED. And of course the ProPoly has a much bigger deeper reflector than the P1D and is a very large light relative to many of our LED lights. So I guess I'm just a bit lost on how 40 Lumens is brighter than 135 but I'll try running it against my Gladius when I get it and maybe that will clarify some things. Of course were not really comparing the same kind of lights - more like comparing apples and oranges.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman wrote: "Claimed output of the ProPoly 4AA Luxeon is 40 Lumens. P1D CE is 135 Lumens. I've read a number of posts about the ProPoly being bright but I've also heard it has a very tight hot spot. The Propoly listed 'Throw' and 'Overall' Lumens listed at FlashlightReviews is only slightly less than a Gladius on throw and quite a lot less on Overall - which I know is a real throw monster for an LED. And of course the ProPoly has a much bigger deeper reflector than the P1D and is a very large light relative to many of our LED lights. So I guess I'm just a bit lost on how 40 Lumens is brighter than 135"

As you said yourself that's the difference between overall output and throw.

The simplest "silly" example is compare a MiniMag at about 5-10lumens and say a household 60watt soft white lightbulb at about 850lumens -
the MiniMag would definitely light something up at a distance - whereas try taking the same "beamshot" with the 60watt lightbulb at the same distance......

I just did the much requested outdoors beamshot of the Fenix P1D-CE
in Post #92 on page 4 of

Fenix P1D-CE comparison Review

where I also included the other astonding light I have - the $5.48 Dorcy 1watt 3D - yes, a mere 1watt Lux1 - it's a RWAH - but because of the much wider and deeper reflector it has a very tight hotspot - and in these outdoors beamshots it almost seems to be brighter than the P1D-CE.

Of course with a bit more consideration one realizes that the coverage of the P1D-CE is so much more than the Dorcy 1watt 3D - that this is not so... it's just that the Dorcy 1watt 3D has much better throw - due to its reflector

I've also added the beamshots to my original thread -

"Practical" Beamshots? pt.2 (outdoors)

where there are other lights one can compare to.....

and just as a comment compare the pampas grass beamshots (in "Practical" Beamshots? pt.2 (outdoors) ) of the P1D-CE and the very bright SureFire 9P (Xenon 3x CR123) -
I think the P1D-CE outdoes the 9P.......
Of course, the large difference in color rendition makes the call harder - so I'll probably get rid of (desaturate) the color in the shots so one can compare the monochrome/black&white versions.... later

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much, Cc---lots of very useful info. there. The apparent rock solid regulation is really impressive.

I am still digesting the performance on RCR123As as far as getting a good run----maybe starting on medium, then as it runs down, toggling back and forth between medium and high, as needed. Maybe that way an hour or so could be coaxed out of an RCR123A cell.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
taschenlampe requested a lux measurement at a greater distance than one meter, which as I've mentioned I actually did -- the actual measurement was done at 3.3 meters. So as a check, I did a second measurement at a shorter distance. The first measurement was done after running the light for a few minutes on a fresh battery to give the output time to stabilize. Then the light was turned off, the distance changed, and the light turned back on and run for another couple of minutes until it stabilized again. (In any case, the output level changes very little with time.) A fan was blowing on the light during the tests to keep the temperature stable.

Results:

1. Measured at 129-1/4": 1792 lux.
2. Measured at 48-1/4": 252 lux.

Using the square law relationship to normalize to 1 lux =>

1. 2717 lux at 1 meter
2. 2693 lux at 1 meter.

The difference is about 1%.

Here's my conclusion: There's no significant component of the light present at 48" (about 1.2 meters) and beyond which doesn't follow the square law relationship and, provided that the meter's window is small enough to accommodate the brightest part of the main beam, measurements of this light at any distance of at least 1.2 meters is valid -- within the limits of light meter accuracy and linearity, of course.

c_c

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished a run time test of the P1D CE on the high setting with a Surefire CR123A primary cell. It was interesting -- the run time is less than half as long as a P1.

The light ran at essentially full output for about 40 minutes, then started dropping. It was down to 50% of the 5 minute value at about 55 minutes, then continued on in a moon mode for some time. I ended the test at 1-1/2 hours -- it was still putting out enough light to read by, but less than 1% of its initial output.

Here's a comparison with the P1. Numerical values are lux at one meter in the brightest part of the beam, 5 minutes after turn-on with a fresh or freshly charged battery.

Using a Battery Station RCR123A 3.7 volt protected Li-Ion cell:
P1: 1658, decreasing with time to about 70% at just over an hour, when it abruptly shuts off (presumably due to the cell low voltage protection).
P1D CE: 2814. Stays flat to around 43 minutes, when it abruptly shuts off.

Using a Surefire CR123A 3.0 volt primary cell:
P1: 1120. Stays flat to about 1:50, when it starts dropping. Hits 50% of the 5 minute value at a little over 2 hours. Continues dropping after that.
P1D CE: 2814. Flat for the first half hour. Drops a few percent during the next 10 minutes, then starts down pretty rapidly beginning at about 45 minutes. Reaches 50% of the 5 minute brightness at about 55 minutes. Continues dropping.

So with a rechargeable cell the run time of the P1D CE is about 3/4 as long as the P1. With a primary cell it's a bit less than half the runtime of the P1.

With a primary cell, the P1D CE is about 2.5 times as bright as the P1, and the beamwidth is about the same. So it's producing about 2.5 times the total amount of light. If the regulators of the two lights were equally efficient, the LEDs were equally efficient, and the battery equally efficient at both current levels, we should expect the P1D CE to have 40% the runtime of the P1. As it turns out, it's about 43% of the runtime. So the overall regulator/LED/battery efficiency is very similar for the two lights. I believe that the Cree LED is supposed to be considerably more efficient than the Luxeon, but the efficiency drops when it's driven hard. I'd guess that it's being driven pretty hard in the P1D CE to get the remarkable brightness, resulting in about the same overall efficiency as the P1 and correspondingly shorter run time.

c_c

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
Curious_character said:
.............. As other folks have noted, the medium and low settings don't operate normally when using a 3.7 V cell..........
c_c

My observation is that the sucker is damn bright & pretty cool to handle compared to the P1 using the RCR123A. The multi-stage feature is essentially useless when running on RCR123A...its juz High-High-High-Strobe-SOS & thus this light is feeding exclusively on primary CR123A for me.

Another reason to hold on to my HDS EDC & having the P1D CE as a back-up light & a spare battery holder.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Destroid Monster said:
My observation is that the sucker is damn bright & pretty cool to handle compared to the P1 using the RCR123A. The multi-stage feature is essentially useless when running on RCR123A...its juz High-High-High-Strobe-SOS & thus this light is feeding exclusively on primary CR123A for me.

Another reason to hold on to my HDS EDC & having the P1D CE as a back-up light & a spare battery holder.

Hey, I like your idea to use your HDS as your primary edc and the fenix as a backup and spare battery holder. I think I will give it a shot.:)

Also, I would love to give my first impressions of the fenix, if the frickin' thing would just get here. (I am hoping for Monday)

taschenlampe

Enlightened
Curious_character said:
Here's my conclusion: There's no significant component of the light present at 48" (about 1.2 meters) and beyond which doesn't follow the square law relationship ...

c_c

Again thank you! :thumbsup:

Tom

lightbug

Enlightened
hmm, just wonder what is the run time for P1D CE with a SureFire CR123A battery at the medium mode setting. Any ideas?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Hi lightbug, welcome to CPF. The literature thst came with the torch states 2.8hrs in "medium" mode; 1hr in "high"; 21 hrs in "low". I'm not sure what battery and how optimistic the figures were. I'd suggest that you should get at least 2 hours in medium. Since medium is actually very bight (brighter than a P1), that's still a good runtime.

lightbug

Enlightened
Thank you Gadgetnerd,
I have realized most of times, the high mode is not going to be very useful even at the out door. In most cases, the medium/low mode would be more than sufficient. I really wish someone could do a medium mode run on a CR123A battery and give us the detail on it. I just want to make sure this light can runs flat for the first 80 to 90 minutes on medium mode. Testing the light on low-mode is not necessary since it will last at least more than 8 hours (it claims 21 HRS). :)

Thank you!

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
ScottyJ said:
Hey, I like your idea to use your HDS as your primary edc and the fenix as a backup and spare battery holder. I think I will give it a shot.:)

Also, I would love to give my first impressions of the fenix, if the frickin' thing would just get here. (I am hoping for Monday)

I've got another spare carrier....its called the Laser Flare & its the only way to justify keeping it as a EDC.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Say what you like about the P1D-CE.
I received mine today and guess what. This thing is brighter on "72Lumen" setting than many of my much more expensive flashlights.
There is no doubt this is an incredible pocket rocket. For it's size and price nothing out there even comes close.
Look I actually hate to even say this stuff. As many of you know I am not a big fan of cheap Asian build quality and design.
I am still not a big fan of the stuff.

I still need to give fenix a 2 thumbs up on this light. While you may think this was "rushed to market" I assure you that they did the research and development required to build this little light. No it isn't perfect, There are 2 faults. one the hi and low should be reversed. hi should come up first. This is purely subjective, you may like the high level to be second. The second fault is the speed at which the SOS is sent. If it were doubled it would be much better.
I haven't torn the light apart so I can't comment on the circuit build quality. suffice to say It Works. that will have to be good enough for now.

It is definitely larger than the P1. SO WHAT!!! The P1 is very small maybe to small. The P1D-CE Is slightly larger than the P1, and it delivers a whole new level of performance to the table.
It is quite amazing for a while I did not discover the higher level was second...I was very impressed with the light on the low level.
I sort of wish I could throttle the level from low to high setting it where I want it. maybe in a future version.

Anyway The P1D-CE is a cool little total pocket rocket.
If you need bright and small and SOS then this is the light for you.
Yaesumofo