A few Cree mod

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all CPF members made this work.
The Cree, O-Sink, MagLED module, MiniMagLED & beautiful Pewter Mag2C .......
All mod were P4 Cree emitter. Let the pictures talk to you.

1. Cree in MiniMagLED 2AA with stock driver, it is as bright as stock MiniMagLED 3AA!!!
A small piece of 1.5mm copper sheet added between it. Stock reflector cut 0.5mm chamfer.
Not much heat I could feel in the body even run more than 15 mins.
MiniMagLED2AA-1.jpg
MiniMagLED2AA-2.jpg

MiniMagLED2AA-3.jpg
MiniMagLED2AA-4.jpg

CreeMinimag2AAshot.jpg

2. Cree on O-Sink, same 1.5mm copper sheet added between it.
O-SinkwithCree-1.jpg
O-SinkwithCree-2.jpg
O-SinkwithCree-3.jpg

3. Modded Cree on O-Sink, same 1.5mm copper sheet added between it.
Did you see how small of the light souce? The hotspot is really tight now. :huh:
But the tint did shift to very green. :sick2:
O-SinkwithModdedCree-1.jpg
O-SinkwithModdedCree-2.jpg

O-SinkwithModdedCree-3.jpg
O-SinkwithModdedCree-4.jpg

ModdedCreeshot.jpg

Creemod2a.jpg
Creemod3a.jpg

Cree transplant into MagLED .......

MagLEDmod1.jpg

MagLEDmod2.jpg

MagLEDmod3.jpg

MagLEDmod4.jpg

Brightness improve greatly in my eyes. Less heat and stay brighter.

Enjoy your mod.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Download,

The minimagled is very interesting. Any idea of the runtime ? I'm curious about 2aa running a P4. Have you just swap the led or have you changed the driver ?

Anyway, very nice work !

:goodjob:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your mods look nice and clean... Good Job. Are these for sale? (Custom B/S/T forum)

Mac

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Administrator, please move this post to the right place, I just shared this mod.

derfyled, no changed of stock 2AA driver, just swap the led. I did not have runtime yet, I thought it should be same as stock.

Mac, Thanks for reminding.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi download!

Interesting work! I have a question, are you saying that if you remove the dome and metal ring the CREE led changes tint? What tint did it had before you removed the dome? What tools did you use to remove the dome and ring?

Thanks for sharing

AlexGT

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT, I just use the cutting pliers and put a pencil backward to limit its minimum opening to remove it.
Yes, it came from original warm white tint to very very green tint now. :ohgeez:

Creemod5a.jpg

Creemod4a.jpg

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats very interesting! does anyone know if the dome is vacum sealed to the ring? Or maybe there is some gas preventing the die to go green? If the led tends to go towards the green when dome is removed, what if we get a cree tint more towards the pink side, do you think it would stabilize in white? I mean like WA or YA tint (Luxeon) or WA or WB (CREE)?

AlexGT

Christexan

Enlightened
Okay, a few days late here but since no one else replied, it's reasonable to assume that in the dome removal process, some of the phosphor material came off with it, shifting the tint. Or the dome itself is impregnated in such a fashion as to shift the color tint, I know both methods have been done with LEDs (Phosphor coatings, tinted dome materials, etc), so it could be a combination of these things.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just guessing but I'd say the bare coating on the LED may be interacting with the oxygen or air and throws a different tint since the dome appears clear.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inside the dome is covered by highly transparent gel type thing.
I just remove the doom from WC tint, the result is much better now. Very acceptable.

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean the tint didn`t turn super green? WC is like XO I believe. What tint would you compare it to in a Luxeon?

I set the ring and dome back on my Cree but I wiped off all the Gel. It stayed really green so I don`t think the dome itself is changes the tint.

Ken

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before modding Cree, WC is really white tint, it is as white as X0 in Luxeon. Because it is brighter, it looks much whiter in the real world.
Once the dome removed, it was point of no return. I thought the gel act some function of it. WC did not affect as much as WH tint that the result is sure.
Domeless WC stay white! :rock:

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, removing the dome (unless on accident) should be avoided. It's bad for the led. You will loose lumens unless the ring comes off too, and the silicone gel will boil away and turn milky white with heat over time. If you want a wider beam angle, wait for the SSC leds.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my WH crees were very greenish, even with the dome.

Latest posts