Fenix lights - Reflector Finish

What is your preference for reflector finish of Fenix lights?

• Total voters

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that the "ringyness" of the posted beamshots. I have also looked at my various Fenix lights. They all have various degrees of heavy lathe marks in the reflector.

I am of the opinion that the Fenix lights would give off a smoother beam if they paid a little more attention to the reflector.

This is a poll. Assume when you vote that you would pay a couple extra bucks per flashlight for a "better" finish.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
hope this pool will make fenix realize importance of Reflector Design too... ultimately making invincible flashlight company :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is my understanding that orange peel is less aggressive than stipped, and maintains good throw.

greenLED

Flashaholic
There are several "levels" of OP; I'm with Skyline on this one.

Oh, and while redesigning the reflector may increase price, keeping it as is doesn't necessarily mean keep it cheap. The question Fenix might be asking themselves is: "is the reflector doing what we want it to do?" If the answer is yes, then why change things to benefit the wine drinkers? I feel that sometimes there's a (huge?) gap between what a manufacturer decides to implement and what CPF'ers expect to see. Whether this is good or bad, and whether it demands action from the company is debatable.

Other than aesthetics, are there drawbacks from the current reflector design? Furthermore, would making making an OP reflector solve these perceived shortcomings? I have to ask because it may not, and has the potential of not satisfying everyone (some like throw, some flood, some a mix, some...).

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED,

I recently received a HuntLight FT-01 from jsburlys (the company in your signature :) ). Does this have an orange peel or stippled finish?

Whatever the finish is, it's fantastic. There are no cold or hot spots in the beam, and the transition from spot to spill is excellent. I compare it against Fenix 3W, and there is no penalty in brightness.

This FT-01 finish is the reflector finish Fenix should use in my opinion. I thought it was "stippled" by what I read on another thread.

Like I said, I hope somebody chimes in here with examples to educate me further.

EDIT: I found some comparisons reflectors and beamshots. You will see by the posted opinions that stippling is more aggressive than orange peel:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/93992

Last edited:

LowTEC

Enlightened
NutSAK said:
I've never owned a Fenix with a poor beam profile, so I voted to leave it the way it is.

Let me guess, you haven't seen a beam shot of the latest Fenix P1-CE? :laughing:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Paul, I don't have an FT-01, so I can't answer your question (the only reason that link is there is 'cuz I think JSB is one of the best people out there). Ersanada has a couple of these and might be able to answer your question.

I've always thought of stippling as a bunch of "dots" added to a smooth reflector surface; OP when the actual surface of the reflector is "dented" before metalizing. It's probably just semantics. I don't like beams that are too floody, so LOP for me (if at all).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth, Stipple, Medium Orange Peel (credit: NikolaTesla)

DSCN3742.JPG

CONJECTURE:

I think it comes down to manufacturing method. It appears to me orange peel is a subtractive process, while stippling is an additive process.

Stippling has the greatest opportunity for reducing light because each dot meets the surface at a line, while orange peel divets meets the adjacent surface at a tangent.

How good did I do? :)

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had what I see as great beam patterns from my fenix lights. I do own some more exspensive lights. Exolion, CR2 Ion, L2, Raw Ns. and these lights do have a slightly smoother transition but not big enough a deal for me.

Maybe if the dual version lights they had were a different ends of the scale.
eg

L2S: HA II, lower bin emitter, poly lens, single stage, standard reflector.
L2T: HA III, higher bin emitter, UCL AR lens, Dual or multi stage, OP reflector.

The L2T already has most of the improvements why not juice it up a bit more?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowTEC said:
Let me guess, you haven't seen a beam shot of the latest Fenix P1-CE? :laughing:

Sure, I've seen one. As stated, I haven't owned one.

I don't think the thread is directed strictly at the the improvement of the P1-CE's reflector.

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
NutSAK said:
I don't think the thread is directed strictly at the the improvement of the P1-CE's reflector.
that's why i voted to leave it, the beams of my LxP's and LxT's are really nice
in a poll specifically for fenix cree lights, i'd vote for orange peel though

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compare the cree mods with textured reflectors, vs the stock reflector.

CreeL1Thds.jpg

Now compare beamshots. Note: This is not a P1D-CE.

RCree_P1.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like 3 out of 4 people want Fenix to work on a better reflector, even if it costs a little more.