Pay Pal Policy????

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at buying a jacket on ebay. Its at a really good price right now. Would pay pal return my money if i got a fraud? (Like a fake north face jacket that says north face and everything but you know its a fake.) Would i be able to do anything or would i just be out of luck?

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advice is to use a credit-card Paypal payment. If the product is not as described you would then be protected by both Paypal and your credit card company.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
All i have is a debit card though so i cant have both. So if it does turn out to be a fake though pay pal will give me my money back?

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Paypal's buyer protection program does protect you but there are ways to abuse the system. Recently a popular loophole has been to not send the product until you file a dispute before the 45 day deadline, then send the wrong item with delivery confirmation. Since they have proof they sent something, and you can file only 1 complaint per transaction, your "non receipt" claim is considered settled and you are SOL if you did not use a credit card.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it appears to be more prevalent amongst the Asian sellers (maybe it just seems that way,) but watch out for the low prices with the high shipping charges. If you by a $1.99 item with some horrendous shipping charge and you send it back to the vendor for a refund, you'll probably get your $1.99 back.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Read the seller's recent feedback carefully. If it looks clean and you pay with debit/credit card PP, you have done all you can to protect yourself.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
AndyTiedye said:
Does Paypal buyer protection protect you if your item gets lost in the mail?
Yeah, non-receipt of items is covered. If the seller doesn't have delivery confirmation, he can get screwed even if it is delivered.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Just a warning that Ebay will not refund you orig shipping costs even if item advertised was a knock-off, fake, etc...

Recently bought a NorthFace Denali jacket and found out it was a fake. I put a claim in with Ebay and demanded not only a full refund, but shipping as well. They didn't reimberse shipping fees regardless of intent to commit fraud on the sellers part. He only sells these jackets and was not a 1 time seller.

Buyer beware...

Flavio

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of those same vendors (the ones located in the U.S.) who are going to get their piece of the pie either way by incurring a "pick-up" or "warehouse delivery" fee that is usualy equal or greater than the "shipping & handling" fee. And some mail-order vendors seem to have some fear of customers showing up at their facilities (maybe they've got undocumented workers, hazardous conditions, or something) and refuse to allow local pickups and avoid as much customer contact as they can.

Led_Blind said:
:) if its $1.99 with $300 shipping ask for pickup.... they love that.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why you can get 99¢ items and pay the actual price in the "shipping" charges. It enables the vendor to circumvent the eBay fees in addition to ensuring a profit for himself since he/she is not required to refund shipping charges. I understand that eBay has cracked down on this practice with many sellers, but the sellers out of Asia and many of the fronts for Asia based businesses (many in So. Calif, but there are locations all over the U.S.) seem to have been granted some sort of dispensation to continue this practice.

Of course there are also those web merchants that use the high shipping charges as a means of compensating for low-ball prices so that they can come up high on the list on price-shopping sites as well.

BugOutGear_USA said:
Just a warning that Ebay will not refund you orig shipping costs even if item advertised was a knock-off, fake, etc...

Recently bought a NorthFace Denali jacket and found out it was a fake. I put a claim in with Ebay and demanded not only a full refund, but shipping as well. They didn't reimberse shipping fees regardless of intent to commit fraud on the sellers part. He only sells these jackets and was not a 1 time seller.

Buyer beware...

Flavio

labrat

Enlightened
BugOutGear_USA said:

Buyer beware...

Flavio

I won some auctions from the same seller, paid using PayPal, and received nothing. And no answer to my emails.
This is a "power seller",in the US, and he have been discussed in these forums before!
The seller claims, after beeing reported to Ebay, that he has shipped the items, even provided a tracking number.
But the Tracking number never showed up when searching on the Internet.
Luckily the Post Office here gave me a signed statement that it did not show up in their systems either, meaning it never entered this country!
I filed a claim with PayPal, and got all my payment refunded, shipping included, the seller did not even reply to PayPal's requests when I filed for the refund.
So I should have been happy, but was stupid enough to give the seller a negative feedback.
And he retaliated with a negative feedback saying I did receive the items, and warned against me as buyer!
I tried the only available solution and reported the case to Ebay's mediation service, but it cost me 20 USD only to have the negative feedback mutually withdrawn, meaning I was back to base again, but with a withdrawn, negative, lying feedback.
They never wanted any documentation, so the sellers claim about having sent the items was never checked.
Bringing this to court is too expencive, and even that is not a sure way to make eBay set the feedback right!
So the moral is, pay with PayPal, and have a reasonable chance of saving your money.
But do not report negative feedback, as this will only cost you later!
Too bad really, as it makes eBay so much more unreliable as a market for all!
And I admit, I did not check his feedbacks well enough before bidding.
Later I did find several other occurencies , mainly with overseas transactions (wonder why?), and even after my experience other ones have been added.
And he is still a power seller!