#@!!&%#!!! Search!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
There must be some way to improve our search function. Just now I went to look up something from the earliest posts of a subject. I was hoping for information that would be important for a post I was planning to write and the darn thing only took me back to 8/20/02, reached 300 posts and quit.

It's almost impossible to get past that chronological obsessiveness of the search brain. The only way to defeat it is to remember the thread name, or at least the first two or three words of the thread name. Maybe if you have a photographic memory this is ok, but for myself and probably most Flashaholics it is extremely frustrating!

Is there really no way to improve this?

Brightnorm

Darell

Flashaholic
smash.gif

Like Brightnorm says above - the search works GREAT if you can remember everything about the thread and basically don't need to use the search functin.
smile.gif

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
If you guys ever are interested check out www.lithium.com (my company). I don't mean to make a plug here. I just mean that the search *works*, the community functionality is high class and, if I ask, I am sure that they will host CPF for free. Our sw creates and manages high end communities for large companies (Dell, Sony, UbiSoft, Ziff-Davis, CNET etc...).

Spudman

Enlightened
Camisdad,

Darn, I thought it was going to be a new site for batteries.
grin.gif

Seriously though, it looks like a class act. DavidW might look into that offer.

Gary

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wait...is this the second topic concerning this? I ask because I *thought* I replied to something like this last night, but maybe I was dreaming...

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sticking with UBB.

Yes the search feature sucks. I'll turn it off if that helps.

Contact Infopop and let them know what you think.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the search feature sucks. I'll turn it off if that helps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yikes!!!! Don't do that David.....it may not be the best search going but it still beats manually looking through the threads for information.

Pat

TOB9595

Enlightened
Don't throw things at me....but....I don't think the search engine sucks. I just don't ask it the correct questions.
smile.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a clue. Only the first 210 characters of a post are searched. (The spaces between words are not counted.)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My feeling is that the search engine doesn't "suck", but it is limited in a way that is frustrating to many of us in our quest for information.

David, of course no one is in any way criticising you. Without you we would all be isolated Flashaholics, looking for a home.

However, if you ever feel that it is possible and practical to improve the search function, that would be a great thing indeed. Personally, if this or any other improvement to your site were to impose any financial burdan on you, I'm confident that I'm not the only one who would be ready and willing to help out.

Brightnorm