first time ordering from fifthunit

cow07

Newly Enlightened
hi everyone,

i'm new to the forum, actually found it yesterday and been reading up on almost everything. from those tritium vials - crazy modded flashlights. very interesting... i think i can take this up as my new hobby :grin2:.

anyways, i came across fifthunit via this forum and i was just wondering what experiences you guys and girls had had with them?

and also, does anyone know any coupons? my order is kinda big for the first time, around $100usd - they're not a bunch of flashlights, just some misc. stuff that i always wanted, but couldn't find. ie. minimalistic ipod dock.

thanks a lot,

kevin

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
$100 wow, that's a lot of stuff from fifthunit. If you havnt shopped around there are some pretty cool things at http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ . All of it is pretty cheap but some things are actually of acceptable quality. Welcome to CPF. What lights do you have now?

cow07

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, its a lot of stuff. But they're so cheap! The aftermarket iPod stuff are incredibly cheap, and I don't see how it will perform any less (iPod dock) than the cable that came with mine.

I've been to qualitychinagoods.com as well, but didn't really see much that I liked.

As for the lights, I haven't bought one yet, but I was thinking about starting small/cheap. I'm into modding stuff, so if I screw up a cheap flashlight... I won't have to cry over it.

I'm thinking about starting off with 1W Ultrafire 602C 1AAA and the 602A AA. They seem like they are easily moddable with something simple like SMJLED?

Or does that not work at all? lol. I know that the "China clone led flashlight" was popular. Maybe I can get my hands on one of those. From what I read... it can last ~13 hours runtime, unmodded?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fifth Unit has provided me with pretty good service. They sent me a non-working headlamp and reimbursed me for the return shipping.

cow07

Newly Enlightened
That sounds great. I know that a lot of their stuff are fake/aftermarket stuff, so quality would never be to par with the original.

But if their service covers up to reimbursing return shipping and etc., then that's a real good thing, especially on these cheap items.

Makes me question myself, why the hell am I ordering so much if I know they're going to break? =p

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought several flashlights from them, and the Customer Service has been great. I had a problem with a VINET and they offered to replace it and reimburse the shipping if I return it. I decided to modify it and have fun!!!!!!

1- GLIMT....very good, no problems
3- VINET.....very good, problems with 1 flashlight
1- ELLY.....good for the money, no problems
1- ANNSI....decent, wish it was brighter

cow07

Newly Enlightened
maybe this belongs in a different thread, but...

just how moddable are these ultrafire flashlights?
the stock specifications don't seem all too appealing when compared to something such as the ARC-AAAP. which is, from my understanding, one the smallest, brightness and longest runtime in its class with lots of room to change/mod different LEDs and etc. into it to improve brightness/longevity?

or... am i just babbling?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
cow07 said:
I know that a lot of their stuff are fake/aftermarket stuff, so quality would never be to par with the original.

How do you know it's fake ?

Serious allegation.

As others have said, they sell a wide range of reasonable products at reasonable prices, and their CS is fantastic, should there be a problem.

One of the better suppliers, only downside, long delivery times.

I have had excellent dealings with them, many times.

I keep going back, no better endorsement.

cow07

Newly Enlightened
it says so on their site. although the title is, for example, iPod noise canceling earbuds but their description/forum, posted by their staff, says its aftermarket.

i'm not trying to kill their reputation or anything, but it's pretty certain that its fake for the price that they are selling it for. also, they frequently have their staff post small reviews and descriptions on the side saying, aftermarket item, not the original and etc. ( i went and looked at a lot of items )

lol sorry if you don't agree with me that it's fake - or whatever. i still think that they're awesome for their price and selection.

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Kind of depends on your definition of fake... IMHO fake is when a product is made to look like the original and is marked like the original, but not made by or under license from the patent holder.

Therefore, the products at fifthunit therefore are not fake, they clearly state it's an aftermarket product.

Now, on to the more interesting stuff....

cow07 said:
just how moddable are these ultrafire flashlights?
the stock specifications don't seem all too appealing when compared to something such as the ARC-AAAP. which is, from my understanding, one the smallest, brightness and longest runtime in its class with lots of room to change/mod different LEDs and etc. into it to improve brightness/longevity?

The Ultrafire vs. Arc AAA-P comparison is a bit weird, as you're comparing a brand to a certain model. I can tell you that any standard Ultrafire light will completely spank a standard Arc AAA-P when it comes to brightness. The arc uses a 5mm Nichia LED, while most Ultrafire lights use a Luxeon (or clone, like Seoul Z-Leds). On the other hand, the Arc AAA-P will beat the Ultrafire lights on runtime. They are just completely different lights.

Now, on to the modding... The Ultrafire lights are often quite easy to mod, as they usually aren't glued shut like many other lights. This makes it very easy to swap lenses, replace leds, mod switches to 2-stage, add or replace driverboards etc.