Nite Ize IQ switch and Madmax Plus drop in Help

quokked

Enlightened
Hey CPFer's

I've just got a hold of the Nite Ize IQ switch and am trying to get it to work with my madmax plus module

The module works just fine with the Kroll Clicky but i want the power of the IQ switch on this module

It doesn't seem to light up at all with the IQ switch but works just fine with the Kroll.

Any ideas guys? I was thinking that the IQ switch can't hack the current from the madmax module maybe?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it can't. The IQ switch is good only for low drain modules such as their own Nite Ize maglite drop in. The main cause of this is the high DC resistance of the tiney inductor used in the circuit. I believe MillerMods measured its resistance at arround 2.5 ohms. :(

It has been discussed in the IQ thread.

quokked

Enlightened
doh! :( thanks for the quick reply
might have to get a lower powered module

Timson

Enlightened
Yeah...I did the same thing and bought 2 of em' thinking they'd be perfect for my MM with sammie modules....how wrong was I.....Very disappointed :thumbsdow

Tim

lumenal

Enlightened
My IQ switch works well in my RED Niteized MM; its a good feature for middle of the night nature calls.

My other IQ switch went :poof: when I tried it with my MM 2AA LED running on lithiums...:laughing:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno if you guys are aware of this but the IQ switch was redesigned and the new units play MUCH nicer with 1W LED's. They've also made the switching more robust and centered the LED - majorly improved. I can still detect, I think, a little dropoff in output with a 1W LED but it's not like with the original release.

greenLED

Flashaholic
MattK said:
I dunno if you guys are aware of this but the IQ switch was redesigned and the new units play MUCH nicer with 1W LED's. They've also made the switching more robust and centered the LED - majorly improved. I can still detect, I think, a little dropoff in output with a 1W LED but it's not like with the original release.
That's great news, MattK. I guess they lowered the switches resistance somehow? I really liked the IQ switch's features, but I simply could not live with the reduced output. The ones I have won't even work with half-depleted batts and their own (Nite-Ize) LED drop-in, much less with a Lux.

By more robust and centered LED, are you talking about the tiny red LED inside the switch?

Do you know if they have a replacement program for their old switches? One of mine even had the faulty threads, but I never got around to returning it (a second time; you did exchange the first faulty one - thanks).

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed- I was pretty psyched to see how much better it works. Yes, the little red LED in the switch is now centered and the switch itself is much more robust with a much more solid feel.

I don't think they have any sort of replacement program outside of their regular warranty which would certainly still cover your unit or I'll gladly switch out your defective unit for you. Odds are though if you call them they'll just ship you a replacement - I'll need you to return the defective unit so I can get credit. (P.S. - This is not an all-out invitation for everyone to start asking to return perfectly functional items for the newer version - greenLED's issue was already known - sorry I had to say that.)

Lumenal - I've been using an IQ with a TerraLUX TLE-5 1W and lithium AA's without an issue....

lumenal

Enlightened
MattK said:
Indeed- I was pretty psyched to see how much better it works. Yes, the little red LED in the switch is now centered and the switch itself is much more robust with a much more solid feel.

Lumenal - I've been using an IQ with a TerraLUX TLE-5 1W and lithium AA's without an issue....

MattK - maybe I got a defective switch, because the light would only go on and off after using lithiums; the different modes ceased to work.

Also MattK, is the packaging for the new and improved IQ switches any different? Perhaps the manufacture date is newer? There is a supply house near me that just received a new supply of IQ switches (at least 20 on the hook) last week. By examining the package, could I tell a difference between the new and older model?