A few more P1D-CE beamshots

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
A number of people have requested a few "real life" beamshots of the Fenix P1D-CE. I'm the first to admit that my beamshot skills are poor, but these shots should show a few of the "features" of the P1D-CE beam inside, outside, and compared to the ProPoly Lux.

Red dots indicate the radius of various concentric portions of the beam, including infamous "dark ring from hades" which is visible even in outdoor shots to some extent (more noticeable when the beam is moving). All shots are the P1D-CE on high.

Standard white wall hunter mode featuring non existent "optical illusion" dark bands :):
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~twallis/misc/p1dce-wall.jpg

Shining down on my back lawn from about 2 metres up:
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~twallis/misc/p1dce-lawn.jpg

P1D-CE (left) Streamlight ProPoly Lux (right). Several people have requested this comparison. Notice the bigger brighter whiter hotspot of the fenix:
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~twallis/misc/p1dce-propoly.jpg

My back yard (removed wife's underwear before shining torch on clothesline):
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~twallis/misc/p1dce-yard.jpg

Beam issues aside (and obviously YMMV on that point), the P1D-CE is certainly impressively bright, well regulated, well built, and nicely priced. I've been using it a lot over the last few days, and it'll most likely end up as my "backup" EDC, with my HDS as top dog. A v2 P1D-CE with nicer beam, lower low and full RCR123 regulation would give my HDS a very good run for its money...

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd said:
(removed wife's underwear before shining torch on clothesline)

If you don't mind me asking, why were you wearing your wife's underwear?

Sarratt

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
If you don't mind me asking, why were you wearing your wife's underwear?

:lolsign: .... Pesky sentence structure

Thanks for the Photos.

It also looks like the Fenix out-throws the PP ... is that right?

x2x3x2

Banned
thanks for the shot vs the propoly, really gives a good reference using such a popular light :)

however even with the advantage performance of the XR-E, seems like the 1 watt luxeon in the propoly still holds its own..

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
I hope she doesn't catch cold with no knickers :lolsign:

Oh, I get it now!

But wait, how did the wifey feel about it?

You removed your wife's underwear, picked up the camera, and took a picture of the BACK YARD instead of HER?

My wife would have kicked me off the deck to be impaled by the clothesline post.

EV_007

Enlightened
Looks like the Streamlight PP still holds it own very well indeed. The color rendition and the hotspot seem more intense in the sub $40 light.

The P1D CE does seem to have a wider spot, HOWEVER, I'm betting the PP will out throw it terms of pure distance.

The rings don't really bother me much, but the whole "it's just an optical illusion" rant is a bit condescending. Only us picky CPF nuts would even notice minor imperfections in the beam.

I highly doubt the P1D CE out throws or out "color renders" the SF 9P even with the P90 LA as mentioned before.

Can't wait to see what SureFire does with the XR-E. Maybe a SF U2 XR-E at 275 lumens may be the ultimate LED flahlight?

Even Jetbeam will learn valueable lessons from this beta test run.
[font=&quot]

Whoever comes up with a well-designed reflector in a solid no nonsense body with a 1 lumen low to 200+ high setting will win the contest.
[/font]

RogerRabbit

Newly Enlightened
EV_007 said:
[font=&quot]Whoever comes up with a well-designed reflector in a solid no nonsense body with a 1 lumen low to 200+ high setting will win the contest. [/font]
Don't forget the serrated bezel, length about 10cm, and the (accessible with one movement) strobe for us tactical freaks.:naughty:

I wonder if we will see a "tactical" Fenix "P2D-CE" powered by two CR123's with this attributes in the future.:)

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Gday EV_007

There's no doubt that the ProPoly is a great little light for the price. Don't let the beamshots fool you though - Brisbane is in the middle of a drought and my lawn is 95% brown. The grass looks green in the ProPoly beam because the beam is green(ish). As for throw, I honestly think they're pretty similar, it's just the hotspot on the ProPoly is so tight that it seems to throw further. The P1D-CE is definitely putting WAY more light into a larger hotspot.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the term "beta test run" for the P1D-CE. There's been a lot of feedback which I'm sure Fenix will use to improve the light. What better way to test a product than to sell thousands of them to a bunch of torch enthusiasts on CPF! And to those who want to condescend to those of us who are prepared to acknowledge imperfections and argue merits - hey you're on a torch enthusiast site. That's what enthusiasts do!

As to the rest of you obsessed with my wife's undies...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just compared my SL4AA to my P1 cree and the P1 is putting out WAY more light! The P1D is actually noticably brighter on primary than the SL4AA and completely destroys it when on high. The throw is very similar though, I would guess that the SL4AA has a little more throw (maybe 100-200 more lux), but when you are around 3,000 lux a difference of only a couple hundred is very minor. As said above the hotspot on the P1D is much larger than the SL4AA and the sidespill is around twice as bright as well.

gadgetnerd said:
Gday EV_007

There's no doubt that the ProPoly is a great little light for the price. Don't let the beamshots fool you though - Brisbane is in the middle of a drought and my lawn is 95% brown. The grass looks green in the ProPoly beam because the beam is green(ish). As for throw, I honestly think they're pretty similar, it's just the hotspot on the ProPoly is so tight that it seems to throw further. The P1D-CE is definitely putting WAY more light into a larger hotspot.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the term "beta test run" for the P1D-CE. There's been a lot of feedback which I'm sure Fenix will use to improve the light. What better way to test a product than to sell thousands of them to a bunch of torch enthusiasts on CPF! And to those who want to condescend to those of us who are prepared to acknowledge imperfections and argue merits - hey you're on a torch enthusiast site. That's what enthusiasts do!

As to the rest of you obsessed with my wife's undies...